• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ice chest tech

MJF

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 14, 2005
    N Idaho
    What do you guys think about the YETI style coolers? I need a new ice chest and am considering this style of cooler. Do they really keep ice for 4 days in 90* temps? Any recommendations?
    Also, fuck joe biden

Yes, rotomolded coolers are far better than cheap coolers. I have a 80qt Cabelas that held ice 5 days in the back of an Expedition in July during vacation. We added a bag and rocked on a few more days. This included time just sitting in the hotel parking lot in the sun.

My wife has a pink Yeti 24 she keeps in her Pilot and I have a tan 20qt Lincoln from Rural King in my car. Both perform great as well.

I have one of these.. used to be way cheaper than YETI, especially if you can catch a sale.
    It does hold ice for several days, but not sure about 4 days in 90deg.

My biggest issue is for the large size of the cooler, there isn't much space inside.. It's all insulation/foam in the walls.

Perhaps somebody can create one using NASA aerogel. Bet that would be cheap /s

aerogel-shoes-hunting-outdoor_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
    Yes they are better.
    Ice for 7 days with wise cooler management.

Lifetime are US made and “cheap” compared to others.
    Buddy has 2, is very pleased with them.

I have RTIC brand I got when they were pretty new.
    I love a 65 qt for week trips.
    I have 2 65 and a 45 for game and big trips.
    I spend A LOT of time outside and camping.

I own 2 yeti coffee cups that were gifts.
    Will NEVER give them my $

I also have a k2. It's on the pricey side, but its been amazing from summers at lake powell to rolling around the back of the truck

I've been looking at RTIC & Orca. I'll go check out the Walmart brand also.

Like has already been said, Yeti is overpriced chinese made bullshit.
    You know you can go to WalMart and buy a Ozark Trails mug and it is made on the same Chinese assembly line the Yeti ones are .....for like 7-8 dollars instead of 30 for the Yeti.
    I've seen Yeti ice chests warp in the sun to where the lid looked like a potato chip, sure they'll guarantee it, but you probably just had a trip ruined.

I personally have a Pelican, it has been rock solid for probably 6-7 years now, still perfect except for a few scratch marks.
    Has (and still will) hold ice for an easy 4 or 5 days in the Arizona desert at 90+ temps.
    Ain't cheap, but it's badass, and the lid has actual latches instead of the rubber bands Yeti uses.

Reactions: MJF
    I have RTIC and Yeti coolers. On my boat out on the Great Lakes they both will hold 180lbs of king salmon and 120lbs of ice for daaaaays. Sometimes the fish get so cold they are a bitch to filet when I get back to the harbor.

while they may work great for the money Id still go with the igloo water and ice to hold my beers at just well I call it my perfect temperature . They worked well enough for years to not want to spend more for a better product . ours held beer from early morning till after school and into the night long enough and still cold enough to have the ice sliding down the can . That's good enough for me .

For those who don’t already know. The guys who started RTIC used to be affiliated with YETI. Offering a comparable product at a better value. Yeti subsequently filed a patent suit which RTIC settled.

My first fish box was a Yeti. Before RTIC was out. I’ve had both side by side on my boat. Both hold ice equally. Yeti offers more sizes. I also use them to chuck briskets in when they come off the smoker. They will keep BBQ warm for an incredibly long time.

cool video.. but those retention times were with 99% ice load at the start.. If you actually had 50% of fill with items, I think those would drop off significantly.. but the relative performance is very cool. ;)

Reactions: MJF and Im2bent
    I have one of these.. used to be way cheaper than YETI, especially if you can catch a sale.

My biggest issue is for the large size of the cooler, there isn't much space inside.. It's all insulation/foam in the walls.

I can vouch for aerogel. Its the shit. Expensive though.

Pelican, Rtic and Grizzly.
    I have some Yeti stuff I've had for many years and am not going to be getting rid of it but I won't be buying more. They rate right up there with that fucking coffee company and Bank of America.

Reactions: Milf Dots and MJF
    I've got Grizzly, Orca and Cabelas in different sizes. The cabelas is the one I take for long trips, holds ice for a week in Central Wyoming for speedgoat trips.

The Orca lives in the back of the SXS and works well for the purpose but not as good as the cabelas one.

The Grizzly is just a 15qt. and it lives in the bed of my truck. Probably the worst performer of the 3 but it still is world's better than old school coolers

I use a Cordova. Similair to all the others and made in Idaho. I am amazed at the insulation. 2 weeks ago it started to freeze my water bottles. I load it on Friday around noon. Use it until Sunday morning/noon for drinks and it still has plenty of ice left over.

I have a bunch of yeti coolers and mugs. From the biggest chest they make to the smallest mug. Every single one of them was a safety award to me through my work. Ill never buy one myself, but they do work very well.
    If I were to buy one, it would be the competitors mentioned above

I quit using the ice style chests when I bought a real fridge. In my case the ARB one. It keeps way more stuff cool, is lighter, and it stays cool a long time. I have a lithium battery setup to power it that works great.

I haven't tried a big new cooler since I bought a dual voltage plugin fridge. Was in my mobile bike mechanic van for a couple years. You don't know how nice it is to have ice cold water in 90deg/90% hunidity of DC area summers without worrying about filling up with ice every day

Work van so no adult beverages in it

M

Reactions: W54/XM-388 and MJF
    I haven't tried a big new cooler since I bought a dual voltage plugin fridge. Was in my mobile bike mechanic van for a couple years. You don't know how nice it is to have ice cold water in 90deg/90% hunidity of DC area summers without worrying about filling up with ice every day

M
    Same - if the thing in there isn't perishable you can just leave it in there the whole time plugged in and the auto-cutoff system will prevent it from draining your battery. Cold drinks all the fucking time at that point. No buying $15 of ice every fuckign time you go to fill it either, and you don't need any goddamn space for ice so you can toss a TON of shit in there.

Its the most no-comparison thing I ever ran into in off-roading. Seconded only by synthetic winch lines and KO/2 tires.

M
    What model u have?

Another vote for cabelas. I’ve got a 40 qt that has stayed in the bed of the truck for the past ~5 years and is still going strong. Replaced a latch handle once. Used everyday and rarely parked in the shade.

I’ve also got a 100qt. I’m always impressed by how cold it stays.

They are one of the few coolers that have built in structural handles (not just bullshit rope handles) that make it very easy to lock the cooler to your truck bed.

I have RTIC and Yeti coolers. On my boat out on the Great Lakes they both will hold 180lbs of king salmon and 120lbs of ice for daaaaays. Sometimes the fish get so cold they are a bitch to filet when I get back to the harbor.

I filet and bag em in ziplocks pretty quick, within a couple hrs , then chill. Less space in cooler that way.
    I also leave em on a stringer in the cold water till I do. 🤷‍♂️

For those who don’t already know. The guys who started RTIC used to be affiliated with YETI. Offering a comparable product at a better value. Yeti subsequently filed a patent suit which RTIC settled.

My first fish box was a Yeti. Before RTIC was out. I’ve had both side by side on my boat. Both hold ice equally. Yeti offers more sizes. I also use them to chuck briskets in when they come off the smoker. They will keep BBQ warm for an incredibly long time.

Yup.
    Here is dinner cooked, packed up, and delivered to a couple great friends stuck in the hospital last Christmas.
    “Damn, cant believe how hot that is”
    - BJ the Okie
    A great Christmas.

D024006D-FD10-49CA-877B-24A2C0E5972E.jpeg

Attachments

• 913926F2-F460-40A9-A78A-135C964CB5BE.jpeg
      913926F2-F460-40A9-A78A-135C964CB5BE.jpeg
      386.8 KB · Views: 37
    What model u have?
    I'd have to go look, but pretty sure it's a Dometic. Bought it for a trip to Ushuaia that hasn't happened because the world freaked out over a bad flu

IIRC it's the next size down (or 2) from the biggest

M

Igloo.
    Yes, they make a roto molded made in USA cooler but it's not cheap. They came out last summer and the local Ace hardware had them on sale for $180, and I should have bought 5 then since they're $299 now.

I put 60lbs of ice and a few cases of water in when we left town. Shoveled ice into my pelican full of beer as it melted down (it's a soft-sided), and still had ice for 6 days.

Grizzly is solid, have used their 120qt, but they do need new latches every 3 years or so when left in the back of a truck all summer in the sun.

Permafrost are made in USA, but I haven't used one yet.

The biggest thing to remember coming from cheap coolers to roto molded is taking care of it, because they do last a hell of a long time.

100 degrees Celsius would cook that finger tip.

I had an Igloo that kept a 20 lb bag of ice for 4 days. Not sure the model, looks to be filled with spray foam between the walls. For the pop up I have a Whynter off Amazon, 110vac/12vdc. 12 volt doesn't like -4 degrees for long.

Thank you for all of the replies. I ran out and picked up this. If I like it I'll try a larger one for longer trips.

The one reason they're cheap is they don't have a good gasketed seal on the lid.

So just be aware they will leak water if they get knocked over.

Bison Coolers, US made, out of Texas. www.bisoncoolers.com. 4-7 days of ice depending on opening and such. They helped support a charity project we did so can't be all bad.
    I have a 70qt Bison and I love it. USA made, and they offer very generous .Mil/.Gov discount. Better latch design than Orca or RTIC too. I plan to buy a smaller one for float trips and other times when the 70qt is just too cumbersome.

I started conditioning my cooler before filling it. I made a few 2’ long PVC tubes 2/3 filled with freezer pack gel. I freeze the tubes in my deep freezer, then put the tubes in the cooler the night before I plan to use it. This pre-chills the interior, then I fill with drinks and ice, and you’re good to go. I’ve found it keeps ice for way longer if you have the time.

I just had mine out for 6 days, in the sun nearly the entire daytimes; filled with pop, beer, a few packs of brats, and one single large bag of ice. After 6 days, there was still some ice left (granted it’s been unseasonably cool here, but impressive regardless).

Made in USA coolers (As HeavyAssault says below, ALWAYS make sure the cooler you're buying actually says "made in USA" on it, because you never know what manufacturing changes may have happened):

Bison (TX)
    Cordova (ID)
    Grizzly (IA)
    Lifetime
    Orca (TN)
    Pelican Elite

Last edited:
    Make sure you do your research on what coolers are USA made, plenty of people don't really know.

Yes, not ALL versions of Yeti coolers are USA made, the 125qt I have is made in the Philippines. I got a 65 qt RTIC it works great, just too small for week long trips.

If you are paying retail for any roto-cooler, you are paying too much. So spend what you can afford, you can search Google to understand how to get deals.

I have several reasons to have large/huge roto coolers on hand. One time my refrigerator went down(compressor went out) thank goodness I had the cooler . Another reason is week/two week long family vacations that allow us to bring our own food. Then there's the time when you can get 100lbs of fresh off the boat shrimp at a great price.

IMG_0266.jpg

I have owned Pelican and Yeti, both do a fair job, but for 1/2 the price (and half the weight) I just bought a RTIC ultralight 52 and it's performance so far is on par. For $170 it comes with a wire basket and a divider (that is also a gel ice pack).

As mentioned, pre-cool with a bag of ice the day before the trip and any of the high end cooler brands will do.

The lifetime brand sold at Walmart are awesome for the money

And claim to be made in USA. Really like the one I have for the money.
    Lifetime is out of Utah. I have a new coworker that used to work in the tool room of Lifetime. They're molded in Clearfield Utah. Some of their tables or chairs are molded overseas but their coolers are all here.

Rotomolded fridges are great, and work great, but I would rather spend the money on an ARB 12v fridge. Skip the ice, keep your shit cold, use 12v or 120v.
    So where are you getting this 12or 120v when out in the boonies? Are you dragging a shit ton of batteries around? Start your vehicle every 4 hours to charge the battery? What's the secret?

So where are you getting this 12or 120v when out in the boonies? Are you dragging a shit ton of batteries around? Start your vehicle every 4 hours to charge the battery? What's the secret?
    It has a system to prevent your battery from dying and it lasts a long time if you aren't opening it 200 times a trip.

I do have a solar setup however - I use it to power the fridge but its also used to be able to charge a dead vehicle battery for example if I needed to to get out of there. And laptops/cells/tablets get charged from it. It was very very useful.

Love my RTIC. Even take it in the 5th wheel when we're out camping to have beer cold and not use the fridge space. I don't have strong feelings about one versus the other, all roto molded coolers are basically the same. I got a deal on the RTIC so that's what I have, the 40 quart I think. Would consider a bigger one. The one we have is a good size but I could see myself using the bigger one in addition or in place of the 40 quart as well.

Canyon Coolers are worth a look too. Ive kept ice (big frozen block about 1/3 the volume of the cooler) in my 150 for 21 days in the Grand Canyon. Obviously not in and out of it all day but still impressive to pull cocktail ice out for people after I cooked my last meal on day 20 in the desert sun. Wasn't July hot but 90+ everyday. Cooler management is a big deal. Best cooler in the world won't keep shit if people dawdle in there leaving it open and open it 20 times a day exchanging the air. Most of their stuff is USA made with lifetime warranty.