• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'd like to modify my REPR

K_4c

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quick question to anyone that can help...

I have a 20" REPR that I'd like to get cut down to 16" and install a Surefire brake (MB762SSAL/RE 5/8x24)... will this in anyway alter or cause issues with the functionality (just looking for general knowledge)? I'll be running a can on it by the end of the year.

thanks for any and all feedback.

p.s I'll be having ABS due the smith work.

Kinnamon

Re: draw backs or issues by modded REPR

I thought the 16" and 20" were built on the same gas/piston system? I bought the 20" to have the heavier barrel profile on purpose... and at $2,200 I'm gonna pass.

But on the flip side of that you could probably sell your upper for about that.

The other thing to think about is the nitrideing if you cut it off then the crown will not be coated and same with the threads.

Point taken.... I wanted a heavier profile barrel for rigidity purposes. I might just leave it and throw on the SF brake

Would love to hear some more feedback.... I do not want to sell my 20" heavy profile barrel for a lighter 16"

I decided to keep it as a 20" and add the brake. Thanks for your help RWS.

Ask over on the LWRC forum? Same self-regulating system, I bet it would run fine. I've also heard of LOTS of guys sending their normal LWRC 556 uppers back in to LWRC to be re-barreled shorter or longer - maybe they would hook you up on the REPR, too? Dunno about heavy profile, though.

I put the brake on 2nite... looks good and functions great. I decided to stay with the 20" and save a little cash.

I also have a 20" REPR, so I'm curious. How's the surefire work?
    You installed it to reduce felt recoil, muzzle flip? Can you get back on target faster? Can you keep the target inside the scope fov now? You're looking at a Surefure suppressor to match?