• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideal .50BMG setup

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    So I got a DTA HTI and I'm collecting components. I'll need to put together a new setup along with a new table once the garage is finished.

So what is the best press? For single stage, would that be the RCBS? I understand CH4D no longer makes a .50BMG press. The RCBS can also accommodate regular dies, a plus. I looked at the Dillon, but it's really more than I need unless I score an M2 down the road. Definitely want to press prime.

Who makes the best dies? All I can really find are the RCBS dies included in their kit, the same with Hornady, and then Dillon makes a $750 carbide sizer die that still requires lubing. Nobody make a match set of dies? Should I go with this RCBS kit?

Trimmer. I'd like one that's powered maybe, or a hand crank that has the ability of being powered, maybe by a drill. A quality one. One that can work both .50BMG brass as well as other brass would be ideal. But what about the RCBS trimmer die? If everyone says go with RCBS, would that suffice (at least for .50BMG?)

Any ideas on the above would be greatly appreciated here. I'd like to start with good gear to begin with if I can, and the .50 BMG stuff is kinda limited, so I really need the advice from those that load/have loaded this monster. Thanks.

I've been fairly happy with the Lee kit. You might also look at this press if you want more capacity. As for trimming, I use a Wilson (w/power adapter) that also has a great primer pocket cutting tool for removing crimps. +1k on the Imperial wax. It works better than anything else for sizing the fifty.

Big thanks, I'll look into those trimmers, some of the names are familiar, some aren't.

Sizing wax huh, I'd have just greased 'em with RCBS water base lube if you didn't say anything.

No mention of dies. What dies are all of you using, or what would you prefer? All my favorite die makers draw the cut off just before the BMG. So no Forster or Redding.

How many of you use the RCBS press?

Check with CH4D for dies. I know they make them but they probably do batches. If they're out it may be a while. I've been using their dies for a lot of oddball stuff like 338BR, 510 and 300 whisper etc and they are good quality. My BMG dies are the stock units I got with the ammomaster press and they work fine for what I'm doing but I'm not really doing benchrest type shooting in my 50.

CH4D

Frank

Would a good move to make be to get the RCBS kit and find one of those fine trimmers mentioned above, then perhaps acquire better dies later as they become available? Saying I can't find better dies like the CH4D now?

Heard the same about RCBS vs. Hornady BMG dies. But I don't know of many of those specialty places that you mention. I'll definitely be looking into all of these later today.

the RCBS dies will work just fine
    ive heard the Hornady dies are better but ive neever used them

M2 is suppose to make nice stuff also
    M2 Precision

there also hollywood (if you can find them)

and warner for custom stuff
    Warner Tool Company - Reloading Dies

there maybe a few other if i can think of them

Dont forget Dillon has BMG dies now (and there big $$$$)
    and Lee but there an odd thread pitch (but work quite well)

Thanks kd185, I looked at the ones you provided. M2 had a lot of good looking stuff, but it was BIG bucks too. All of the good .50BMG dies seem to be damn expensive. The M2 seating die was $750, the sizing die was $350 as was the primer seating die. Dillon's carbide sizer is $750 and their press is $1000.

I may end up going with the RCBS press and good trimmer, and just saving for the good dies. Do it once, do it right. I have to wait on a scope anyway, so no big hurry I guess provided I start collecting items here and there.

Thanks, and if anyone comes up with some other names to check out, let me know!

The Hornady press and RCBS press are virtually identical, with the exception being the Hornady press incorporates their LnL bushing. I was told the Hornady dies are a little bit better than the RCBS dies. I have the RCBS kit and have been pretty happy with it, but I now wish I had gotten the Hornady dies instead. Not that there is anything wrong with the RCBS. Anything better than these two and you're going to be spending a lot of $$

Yeah, that's the impression I get. So I'm pretty sure I'll go with the RCBS press too --the base looks stronger on the RCBS to me, but it could just be the picture. The RCBS is supposed to have the heaviest ram, the Dillon the heaviest overall. But it's $1000 and progressive, something I may upgrade to way in the future if I score an M2.

But for now, the RCBS press seems to fit my bill, and I have a lot of their stuff already and am satisfied with how it's held up and worked out. I like solid singe stage presses. Not the same with the RCBS dies, though I do use some of them, I prefer better.

If I need this lickety split for some reason, I'll go ahead and get the Hornady dies and resell them once I get better ones. I've heard they are better than RCBS dies from more than one place. Or, say if the scope doesn't come through until summer, then I may just save and get the good dies, maybe a mix of manufacturers, but M2 looks good, and be done with it. That's where I'm at now --press first, maybe trimmer next, then dies. I'd like to use the M2 priming die.

This month, everything all happened at once, and next month doesn't look better. Hopefully, I'll have more time to put all this together the right way the first time around.

I'm not trying to hijack your post bro, but I have all the same questions as you.... Except I would add, has anyone ever ran 750amaxs in a Barrett m82? Please keep us posted on what works... I'm soon to buy a 50 press and dies too... And I'm just not going for the blue pill... Too pricey for the little I shoot my cannon.

for a 50 press, there is about 3 different catagories, you have the lee which is cheapest, then the rcbs and hornady, after those price pretty much jumps to 700-1500. Corbin makes the nicest single stage for precision is the corbin csp-2 mega-mite, but its expensive. M2 dies are super nice. i own bmg reloading equipment but i have not reloaded it extensively. after i did all the research i ended up with the rcbs press, rcbs dies, spend the money on the ch4d inline seater die. so i just use the rcbs sizer and the ch4d seater. this is a pretty economical setup. after that a lot of guys recomend buying the m2 primer seater. thats supposed to make a good difference on accuracy.
    if you wanted the best of everything. its 1200-1500 for a press probably 1500 in dies, etc . it can be big bucks and the guys that shoot the big matches spend the money, so it depends on what you want to do

Yeah, I think I'll try and just get the RCBS press only for now, unless I can get the Dillon for a good price in the meantime. I like that the RCBS can be used for regular ammo too, so it has that going for it. I don't expect to have this rifle running until early summer anyway, but if I do, I may just purchase some decent loaded ammo and use that for one or two outings to zero it and get familiar (and collect some brass).

I'd really like to get good, quality dies to load with regardless. I want the best ammo I can get out of it. I can get a die a month and a press and be fine. I think I'll go this route.

I bought the Lee set first, big friggin mistake. Then I bought the RCBS set, it is a hoss and I would definitely recommend it. The RCBS sizing die was too long and I sent it back for them to do a trim job on. The Lee dies weren't so good.

Giraud makes a headspace/oal gizmo that attaches to a mic, works like a charm. He also makes a trimmer head for the 50 if you have a standard Giraud trimmer. There are a couple of good primer pocket and flash hole tools out there, I think I have the CH4D.

I size with STP oil treatment. Slicker than snot and have never had one hang up even on foreign mil surplus brass. I hung up a piece with Imperial and another one with Case Lube. Believe me it is a pain in the arse if you hang up a piece of 50 brass. Life is much easier if you anneal your brass first....

Here's a link to Widners WC867 powder. It's not the best but for plinking it does fine even with pulled 660's. You get free hazmat fee and free shipping with 6 kegs. If you are going to get serious start saving your phenigs for BMG50 if you can find it.
    Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

As for pulled bullets, Pats Reloading has good deals on sized 50's. Chris will fill a can for you and ship in the can for a good price.
    Pat's Reloading - Prices

That's my 2 cents worth..........

Last edited:
    Strykervet,
    Advise down this thread is good, but I can add some more information which may save you a few bucks. I shoot regularly at FCSA matches (.50 BMG & members only), and have brought home the wood. Shoots100 (a SH regular) also can provide accurate information if he chimes in.
    For dies, yes, RCBS are good. K&M tool makes a replacement decapping rod for use on swaged primer Mil-surplus brass. You will either break decapping pins on a regular basis or damage your press when using a standard rod when working the Mil brass fired from an M2. You MUST specify desired diameter (I use .507 for A-max) if you order this product. Lee's case lube works well for resizing this brass...1 tube goes a long way! Match grade virgin brass is very expensive (about $4 each.)
    If you have the bucks, Viersco Manufacturing makes a high quality die set, micrometer seating die available.
    Case trimmer: if doing a small batch at a time Forsters 50 BMG will serve this purpose. Giraud makes a motorized, high volume model. Giraud also offers a high volume case annealer.
    CH4D has a combo deburring tool & socket which can be attached to a power hand drill.
    NECO makes a case concentricity gauge specific for this length.
    Case Primer: M2 is best match grade primer on market for price (dumped primer that came with RCBS Loadmaster years ago!)
    Primer pocket uniforming tool & Flash hole deburring tool also available from K & M.
    Lee bullet sizer die: IF you are planning to use mil surplus projos that were not re-sized by seller. (about $25 direct from Lee) Add order of 1 tin Imperial Wax for resizing.
    And YES is the answer to the above question about using 750 A-Max with a Barrett M-82 or M-107. Several shooters at our matches do use this combo.
    Good Luck,
    Serpent

Thanks Serpent408 for chiming in!

I'll look up what you mention. It seems most .50BMG loading gear is kind of costly for the good stuff. Also lots of small makers with not much exposure... I'd never heard of Viersco but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.

I looked up CH4D but it appears they're no longer making BMG gear? Shame, because I heard nothing but good about them.

Brass: right now I'm using once fired LC brass, used in match grade test barrels he claims. It does look good. I'll experiment with some new match brass to see if there's a difference.

Projectiles: I plan on using several types. I do believe the magazine for the HTI is made such that it'll accommodate longer rounds than normal, but I'd have to check.

Case trimmers... If I go with a progressive press for both 5.56, etc., and the Dillon press for the .50, then I may go with Dillon's motorized trimmers --I really like those. I HATE trimming, so to me, this is worth it if I can swing it. Usually I'm impatient, in this case, I hope I have extra time to get this stuff I possible.

In short, I'm totally open to ideas right now. So keep 'em coming if you think of anything else!

RCBS 50BMG press kit
    Giraud trimmer
    Dillion has a Priming die that you can use on the RCBS press
    they also have a swagging tool a must for primer pockets
    RCBS CHARGEMATER,for your throws.
    I also bought a tire depth gauge to check my primer seating,PRIMING is going to be an education .
    Also get comparator gauges from Sinclair to check your brass over sizing is another one

One more thing I forgot....... A friend gave me a tip about decapping. I pull the decapping rod out of the die and do it by hand over a piece of brass with hole in the middle. couple taps with a mallet and they pop right out. It sure makes sizing easier and I haven't broken a pin in a while now. Course now that I said that I'll break a half dozen........

Here is some direct contact information for suppliers:
    CH4D: Beth(sales) 740 397 7214 If she doesn't know inventory Dave will.
    Viersco Manufacturing Inc: David Viers Black Diamond Rifles by Viersco Mfg...Custom built rifles by master rifle smith David Viers 402 635 2333
    Giraud: 281 238 0844 (M-F 9/5 CST)
    K & M Precision Shooting Products https://www.kmshooting.com/catalog
    Another good item I have is a Wilson Case Gauge.
    For the record, I am not affiliated or sponsored by any of the listed contacts (but I am willing to be adopted!) Just good products worth checking out to improve VHP ELR shooting.
    Serpent

Well after spending a fortune on the rifle I had a self imposed limit for reloading equipment. I usually try to buy top quality from the start but for the .50 I went with a second hand Lee set up. So far it has resized and primed cases and seated spot on, no complaints. The RCBS and Hornady 50 BMG kits were just so bloody expensive it was hard to justify, the Lee is a reasonable cost and works when set up right.

For a trimmer I've gone with the LE Wison 50 BMG set up, I've got the power adapter but cutting by hand is very easy so may not bother setting it up with a drill.

I use a punch for depriming, a k&m primer pocket uniformer and a LE Wilson chamfer and deburring tool.

Last edited:
    I'd say Corbin makes the best press. I ended up buying the Corbin CSP-2 Mega-Mite press, after I purchased it I found a link to the Walnut Hill press.
    It seems very similar to the Corbin and it costs a lot less. If I didn't buy the Corbin I would have probably bought the Walnut Hill.
    ken

Wow, that Corbin looks nice. But if I'm gonna drop that much, I'm gonna get the Dillon turret press for the .50 instead. I like the idea of using that motorized auto trimmer of theirs, and I *think* I'm set on the M2 Precision dies. And if I get a single stage, I'm likely to get the RCBS. I may very well get a Browning M2 later, and I'll want the Dillon for sure then, and having a single stage and turret press together will be nice. We'll see. For now I only have the DTA rifle.

But for now, this is what I've come to since I have time to collect all of this:

#1: M2 Precision priming die, sizing die and seating die. These three for sure. Perhaps the Dillon carbide sizing die instead if anyone thinks it's worth the extra ($350 vs. $750). If there's a better seating die, I'm open to suggestions.
    #2:RCBS press and one of those nice motorized trimmers mentioned above.
    OR Dillon press if I can swing it or find a used one, and their motorized auto trimmer instead.
    #3: Perhaps a sizing die for bullets, depending on what they can be used on, and perhaps the Wilson case gauge.
    #4: I have the RCBS trim station, I can check if there's a .50BMG pocket tool for that. Extra primer punches for the sizing die.

Am I missing anything? And again, any suggestions appreciated.

Yeah, I looked it up. They make one for the RCBS trim mate and I already have that, so I'll just go with that to remove the crimp.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend, and what kind of shooting you plan on doing.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend, and what kind of shooting you plan on doing.

Thanks, but that sort of sums up all shooting purchases, doesn't it?

It's precision shooting for the DTA rifle, obviously volume for the M2 (which I don't even have). So I'm focusing on getting M2 Precision dies and the RCBS press for now (unless I find a good deal on a Dillon). Trimmer depends on press selection.

Unless you know of some other firms to check out that weren't mentioned here, or you have something to say about the ones that were, or something pertinent to add that was missed, I'm good to go I think. Guys above squared me away for the most part.

Merry Christmas!

I didn't see it mentioned but I used the k&m trimmer. It was easy, maybe not as fast a giraud but definitely cheaper. It trims, chamfers and deburrs at the same time. I would usually load about 30 at a time and it worked great. I also like their primer pocket uniformed and flash hole reamer.

I used the rcbs press and it was fine. I wanted to get the ch4d seater but sold my rifle and entire setup before I got it.

I'd say Corbin makes the best press. I ended up buying the Corbin CSP-2 Mega-Mite press, after I purchased it I found a link to the Walnut Hill press.
    It seems very similar to the Corbin and it costs a lot less. If I didn't buy the Corbin I would have probably bought the Walnut Hill.
    ken

+1

I own the Mega-Mite and it is awesome. I built my own stand for it.

Last edited:
    I sent an email to inquire on the Walnut Hill press and was told by the owner that it can't be used to reload the 50BMG cartridge. He said he has a 50BMG press in the works and hopes to have it in production by late spring.

Corbin Mega-Mite..

Speak with David Corbin. He's a really nice guy and very knowledgeable… I originally bought it for reloading, but
    now I'm getting into bullet swaging..

I built this standalone stand for it so I can move it around and not be confine to the bench..
    This thing weights around 310 lbs and is sturdy and doesn't move.

I was also thinking about M2 Precision Dies for the 50, that's what lead me to this thread..
    I also have the Giraud Trimmer, very good trimmer..

Good Luck..

Attachments

• MightyMite 2.jpg
      MightyMite 2.jpg
      18.9 KB · Views: 40
    • MightyMite 4.jpg
      MightyMite 4.jpg
      17.5 KB · Views: 28
    • MightyMite 6.jpg
      MightyMite 6.jpg
      13.5 KB · Views: 29
    • MightyMite 10.JPG