• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas for bullet trap

Delicatessen

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2017
Kansas
Recently moved and have right around 200 yards to put in a practice range for pistol and probably 22 trainer use. I could just mound the berm but not sure about all the lead (although well and garden is a decent ways away). Any ideas about a decent bullet trap for mainly 22 and some 9mm use? Guessing I could build a railroad tie and line it with stall mats but not sure.

I've made a few traps over the years, and BY FAR the best/longest lasting/most effective that I've done has been the "spiral" type. As in, a piece of schedule 40 pipe that is ~8" in diameter (or greater) with two pieces of plate. One slit along the side of the pipe, and the two deflectors (top and bottom) funnel into said slit.

The target is held at the widest point of the "deflector funnel" to-which the bullet then enters said slit at the top'ish surface of the pipe then the bullet just rides the inside of the pipe around and around until it's energy is released.

So VERY much easier to draw on a paper than it is to describe on a keyboard. But I hope you get the 'jist of what I'm attempting to relate. After many years of use, and after MANY firings, about the only thing showing any age/wear is the rust buildup simply due to time. Scale-up and increase material quality as-per your requirements. AR500 is fantastic for the two deflectors. If this is your own private trap, then you 'could' just use mild on the sides, but if this is for any type of 'public' or 'commercial' use, then you better overkill and overengineer and overthink any idiot-quest and lawyer jamboree.

Enjoy.

Ok, I think I get what you are describing. Yes it is only for private use with relatively mild cartridges. If I want to test out other things I can always load some lead free rounds to try.

Actually, you're better off with 'lead' as it is the softest and the least chance of deformity on the trap. Copper won't do much damage at all, but the thicker the copper, the higher the potential for deformation. Though the chances are still very very low. Just stay away from anything 'steel core' and anything with a "penetrator". HA.

I wish there was a bullet trap you could have in your garage that was quite enough not to alert the neighbors, so you can do velocity testing on your rifle loads etc.

Ya I've got a setup in the corner of my dungeon, it's setup for air rifle and .22lr nothing high velocity. Perfect for these cold winter days. 20200215_075036.jpg

Reactions: camotoe