• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ideas for First AR Build

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
I'm toying with the idea of building an AR. I've never done it before and don't really know a ton about it. I'm thinking of building a lower and getting a few uppers. Looking for suggestions, ideas, component recommendations, and possible flaws at this point. I have a couple of different configurations in mind.

1. 300 blackout SBR to pair with an ultra 5 or 9, side charging handle - cheaper scope (SWFA SS, or similar) to play
2. 243 WSSM Upper from DTech, nicer long range scope, for deer and coyotes
3. Typical 5.56 for defense, probably 16" barrel or a little less with the SBR option - red dot sight.

Overall project goals:
1. Light weight - I walk a lot of miles around the mountains and would like the gun to not be heavier than a bolt gun.
2. Probably will get the lower stamped as a SBR - you can put any short barrel upper on the stamped lower, correct?
3. Adjustable gas block on the blackout, so I can shut it off to function quietly as a single shot, if desired.
4. Want a crisp, accurate trigger for the 243 WSSM long range work, but also something that works in defensive applications.

Questions:
1. Does the optic zero shift when you switch uppers? I would think not, because the optic is fixed to the upper itself.
2. Will the 300 blackout be as quiet and functional as a bolt gun?
3. What lower would you go with?
4. Anyway to get the overall weight of the package down?

Thanks for the help!

If youv've got a decent upper receiver and optic, zero shouldn't shift.
No experience with 300BO.
I've used Aero Precision lowers for a couple of my builds, and they are quality.
A shorter barrel will keep the weight down, also a simple round hand guard a la ALG Defense can keep it light. Quad rails have some weight to them.

Larue MBT is a quality trigger that doesn't break the bank.

For the 5.56 upper, 14.5" is a nice size. I have an 11.5" that is really nice to maneuver around the house, it just sucks past 200yds with just the red dot on it. I wouldn't go shorter than 10.5" in 5.56, for ballistic reasons.

Hopefully others will be by to fill in what I missed. Hope it helps.

Reactions: treillw
1. With the right brace, a pistol has all the functionality of an sbr without the $200 stamp, the wait, and the restrictions on interstate travel.

2. An Aero Precision slick side upper is feather light and so is their Atlas s-one rail. Excellent quality, outstanding value.

3. A JP Enterprises components trigger is about the best trigger break and reset you can get and works well in a defensive role.

4. 300 blk subsonics are a novelty. 300 blk supersonics are a modern day 30-30 energy-wise, and significantly beat the 5.56 at effect on tissue. Viable to 600 yards with the right optic. Through a suppressor, supers aren't much louder than subsonics.

5. 300 blk supersonics don't lose much steam going to a 8" barrel. 5.56 is extremely anemic out of short barrels.

The WSSM works well for hunting, and DTech is excellent quality. I use a 30 WSSM from them on hogs. The down side to that option is magazine capacity, and that really only applies to defense use. I can cram 7 rounds in a 20 round magazine.

Another thing I thought of regarding the WSSM, when I first got mine, I had to put an extra power buffer spring in it to get it to strip rounds from a full mag. That spring may not be ideal for the other uppers you’re considering.
To answer the question about a AR 300 Blackout being as quiet & functional as a bolt gun, it should function reliably when set up right, but it will not be as quiet as a bolt gun( assuming you mean suppressed). Any AR is louder than a bolt gun running the same cartridge when suppressed, at least at the shooters ear. Turning the gas block off will make it as quiet.

1. With the right brace, a pistol has all the functionality of an sbr without the $200 stamp, the wait, and the restrictions on interstate travel.

2. An Aero Precision slick side upper is feather light and so is their Atlas s-one rail. Excellent quality, outstanding value.

3. A JP Enterprises components trigger is about the best trigger break and reset you can get and works well in a defensive role.

4. 300 blk subsonics are a novelty. 300 blk supersonics are a modern day 30-30 energy-wise, and significantly beat the 5.56 at effect on tissue. Viable to 600 yards with the right optic. Through a suppressor, supers aren't much louder than subsonics.

5. 300 blk supersonics don't lose much steam going to a 8" barrel. 5.56 is extremely anemic out of short barrels.
This! .300 blackout pistol is one of my favorite guns to shoot

I'm toying with the idea of building an AR. I've never done it before and don't really know a ton about it. I'm thinking of building a lower and getting a few uppers. Looking for suggestions, ideas, component recommendations, and possible flaws at this point. I have a couple of different configurations in mind.

1. 300 blackout SBR to pair with an ultra 5 or 9, side charging handle - cheaper scope (SWFA SS, or similar) to play
2. 243 WSSM Upper from DTech, nicer long range scope, for deer and coyotes
3. Typical 5.56 for defense, probably 16" barrel or a little less with the SBR option - red dot sight.

Overall project goals:
1. Light weight - I walk a lot of miles around the mountains and would like the gun to not be heavier than a bolt gun.
2. Probably will get the lower stamped as a SBR - you can put any short barrel upper on the stamped lower, correct?
3. Adjustable gas block on the blackout, so I can shut it off to function quietly as a single shot, if desired.
4. Want a crisp, accurate trigger for the 243 WSSM long range work, but also something that works in defensive applications.

Questions:
1. Does the optic zero shift when you switch uppers? I would think not, because the optic is fixed to the upper itself.
2. Will the 300 blackout be as quiet and functional as a bolt gun?
3. What lower would you go with?
4. Anyway to get the overall weight of the package down?

Thanks for the help!

1. Swapping just the upper without messing with the optic shouldn't shift zero.

2. I don’t have experience with 300 blackout and can’t comment on this.

3. If your focus is a lightweight AR15 lower, you can look into BattleArms, V7, and other companies. If you want to save even more weight, you can look into lowers constructed from more exotic materials (Titanium & Magnesium).

4. The first place I would try to save weight the barrel. The next places would be the handguard, bcg, buttstock, and etc.

Thanks for the help!
list the shortest barrel length That you would like 7” Or 10.3 you can always make it longer

What is a good brace?

The Maxim Defense CQB brace is the best brace there is. Super short when collapsed; full stock length when extended. Not flimsy/flexy like most braces; feels as solid as my Rogers superstoc. As comfortable as a normal stock butt pad when shouldered.

A8D134BE-964B-41BF-8400-B23FFD427DE6.jpeg

9F547AEF-3B00-42C6-9443-48542DA35D71.jpeg

As you can see, I'm using the parts on my AR build that I recommended to you. This is going to be a do-it-all rifle (home defense, truck gun, range toy), which is why I chose 300 blk (only going to run supersonics).

Your optic is really going to determine the capabilities of your build. With the right optic/cartridge combination, you may obviate the need for multiple uppers. I'm going with the Primary Arms Platinum 1-8 with the Griffin mil reticle. It has great glass, an eotech style donut at 1x for CQB and a mil/mil FFP setup with Christmas tree which should get the 300 blk out past 600 yards no problem. Good luck with your build.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jumper
Anyone know of a bore guide that will work for cleaning 300 BLK , 5.56, and 243 WSSM?