• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Identifying carbon vs stainless bighorn origin?

Baron85

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2012
Is there a way to identify the older carbon origin actions vs the newer stainless origins?

Is there a difference in bolt lift/close and cycling smoothness/binding between the 2?

Have the opportunity to buy a used origin and trying to figure out if I want it or not.

Thanks.

Is there a way to identify the older carbon origin actions vs the newer stainless origins?

Is there a difference in bolt lift/close and cycling smoothness/binding between the 2?

Have the opportunity to buy a used origin and trying to figure out if I want it or not.

Thanks.

Easiest is probably to get the serial and call Zermatt.

That was plan B but was hoping there was a clear way to identify them apart so I couple possibly pull the trigger this weekend.

I have a late carbon steel action and a friend has an early stainless one. No difference in feel I could tell.

Reactions: Baron85
I thought I read somewhere that something with the cocking piece or cocking ramp changed on the stainless ones?