• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: IDPA Match

biggest thing that'll tear your score up is not using barricade "cover" penalties, try and keep it like is realistic in your head and shouldnt be a problem

I just shot my first match yesterday, and i really enjoyed it. But, i know i was going to fast, especially on the first stage, nerves/excitement. But just obey the safety rules, and COF, make sure you get all rounds on target, i missed a couple and it cost me. But the guys at the match were very very helpful, and i really enjoyed it! Can't wait for the next match! Oh and it's a good idea to make sure your ammo/mags work with your gun, there were a couple guys that rolled their own that were having issues, yesterday. Makes for a bad day when your gun/ammo don't work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nathan11B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys! I think that will be the biggest thing for me. Also remembering slow is smooth, smooth is fast. </div></div>

Slow is slow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THE_Shithead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nathan11B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys! I think that will be the biggest thing for me. Also remembering slow is smooth, smooth is fast. </div></div>

Slow is slow </div></div>

Yep!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">biggest thing that'll tear your score up is not using barricade "cover" penalties, try and keep it like is realistic in your head and shouldnt be a problem </div></div>

While the advice is solid, allow me to expand on this. If you're new you're a clean slate. I am sure you will have all sorts of folks telling you how great IDPA is for 'defensive training' - it isn't, and anyone who says that is a moron.

If IDPA were about reality, Failure to Use Cover would be significantly more than a 3 second penalty (yes, I understand an RO could technically issue a Failure to Do Right - but they don't). If it were about reality, the penalty for Failure to Use Cover would be so harsh that your entire match is screwed - say 60 seconds. More so, if it were about reality Failure to Neutralize would not be a cheesy 5 second penalty - it'd be waddle your butt over to the safety table, unload and show clear, bag it, get your keys out, and drive your now dead ass home - the match is over for you.

As such, if you want to play the game - play the game. When you're squadded up, watch and learn from the seasoned gamers. IDPA, like most other action shooting events is about course management. The gamers in the squad are looking for an advantage and many of them talk about or at least telegraph great ideas. Watch others go before you. Look at what the RO is letting slide - push it a little further.

Don't believe it? Shoot heads up with folks from your club, throw some reloads in there and some target to target transitions; but stay put in the shooters box. You will note that the results do not necessarily line up with placement in a match. Why? Course management. Winning is as much about shooting as it is about knowing how to be efficient.

On the other hand if you want to shoot it straight up - literally show up in what you CCW in EVERY DAY. Your actual carry gun and carry rig - set up exactly like how you wear it every day, right down to where you carry your knife(s), flashlight, keys, monkey fist, OC, 4 leaf clover, phone and whatever else you carry on a daily basis in your pockets. Like to wear metrosexual be-dazzeled jeans and flip flops to the mall? That high speed Arcteryx shell that is cut narrow at the waist and slows your draw? Kool. Wear that crap at the match. Oh, and since you CCW, that categorically means every stage is going to be shot from concealment - in exactly what you would wear if you were headed to the mall that day. And since your looking for a bit of realism, do everything you can to never preview the stage - just walk up and shoot it cold. Actually use cover. Value accuracy over speed.

IMHO - esp when you are new there is value in learning 'the game'. Learning how to be efficient is a skill in and of itself.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Failure to Neutralize would not be a cheesy 5 second penalty - it'd be waddle your butt over to the safety table, unload and show clear, bag it, get your keys out, and drive your now dead ass home - the match is over for you.</div></div>

And then they will never come back to another match because they went home pissed off that they drove an hour, paid x number dollars to shoot 11 rounds on the first stage and got sent home. Then they get online and post how stupid IDPA is.

IDPA and other shooting sports do have a practical application in defensive training. If you can't follow the simple rules like using cover in a controlled environment where you know ahead of time the locations of the targets and where you need to stand to be behind cover, how do you expect to perform in an uncontrolled environment.

For a first timer, don't worry about speed. Focus on safety, making all your hits, and don't get any procedurals.

Damn Mo, kind of harsh.

They are Safety Officers, not Range Officers.

There is no shooting box.

Starting out, you should be safe, pay attention to the brief and instructions, get good hits, and don't make up down ones. Speed will come in time, as will learning where you can save time.

Oh, have fun.

Work on speed reloads and dryfire. Matches are nothing more than drills that someone else setup and will show you were you are lacking. It's got nothing to do with tactics but will make you a better shooter.

IPSC will give you more of the same though, so I'd recommend it over IDPA after you get your training wheels off after a few IDPA matches.

Find out who the best shooters are and squad up with them, you will learn a lot by watching them.

Have fun!

I got a kick out of that Mo. Great post. ShootsBlanks is right. Technically they are called Safety Officers, but many clubs tend to use the terms Range Officer and Safety Officer interchangeably.

I'd agree with the advice given here and add that your best bet is to find the best shooters at the match or at your club and pick their brains. Train with them if possible.

If you end up really liking it and you really want to excel you need a class or two to learn how to train and make sure you have the basics down. Most guys don't want to spend money on classes but professional instruction will save you time effort and money in the long run. I shoot USPSA but this all applies to IDPA as well.

I'm in the camp that believes IDPA is a game. It may be more realistic than USPSA in that you need to use cover, shoot the close targets first, etc., but it is still a game. And since it's a game you can use the rules to improve your standings in a match. As said earlier, many things that will improve your runs have nothing to do with actually squeezing the trigger. You have to sort of feel the flow so to speak during the walk throughs. Feel what is going to be the most efficient way to shoot the stage. Having a great shooter explain WHY he's shooting the course the way he is worth it's weight in gold.

If it were me, I'd try to find the best shooter there and develop a friendship. Listen to what he says over everyone else. Everyone loves to tell the new guy how to do everything. You'll have a lot going on in your head. It's much easier to listen to just one or two guys rather than fifteen.

Good luck!

Alway fun to see who's feathers get ruffled...

The defenders of the faith need to get over it. It is a game, one that claims: "practical equipment including full charge service ammunition to solve simulated “real world” self-defense scenario", except the penalty structure doesn't sync up. I know, it has be inclusive so we can not boot folks for Mikes....I'm harsh, I'm the bad man. I can live with it.

My point was simply... there is value to learning to play the game.

No box in IDPA - I know. Since we have some folks with their own IDPA rule book at home - the correct parlance - the shooting position shall remain static. My point was to isolate shooting skills from the COF management skills.

Since we already have 'IDPA has practical application in defensive training', who wants to throw down the IPSC v IDPA rhetoric?

Good luck

It's not rhetoric! "IPSC will get our KILLED on the streets!!!!!!"

IDPA saves lives.
smile.gif

Go be safe have fun pay attention be safe have fun take your time dont get caught up in the race. be safe have fun. Idpa was set up as non competitive competition. Go make some new freinds have a good time.

Oh man, I've gotten into some interesting arguments with IDPA match directors. Personally, I'd recommend shooting the IDPA match that you're looking to shoot, then when you decide you like it just give IDPA up and move up to USPSA. You'll have even more fun and not get drawn into absurd arguments based on "the way things should be done."

Visualizing the stage and running it through exactly as you are going to shoot it helps. Visualize your hits, reloads, target order etc. and go over it in you head 3-4 times perfectly before you shoot the stage. This is something I have only recently started doing seriously and I have seen some great results when adding this into a match.

Also, watching others shooters for ideas is great but once you decide how you are going to shoot a stage and go through your visualization process don't change it, it will likely blow your entire stage.

Jeremy45

Well just got back from the match a few hours ago and it went well! Things went well and I shot good so I'm happy. Now I'm dealing with two magazines that are binding up and not feeding nor loading so in my book they're deadlined until I get this resolved.

The mags are straight from Para Ordnance which is where I bought my pistol from. Do I take the problem to Para Ordnance or fix this on my own. They have been good to me, but I do not see any reason 3 of the 5 magazines I own should have issues after only 5 years of service.