• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns IDPA & USPSA tips requested

Re: IDPA & USPSA tips requested

Shoot slow and shoot production, no sense wrapping up a bunch of cash in something you don't know if you'll even like. Don't let the dudes with their fancy guns get to you. Not sure what your skill level is with pistols, I still suck, but I've found it helps, you pick up speed naturally, hits are more important.

If you watch the video I provided my hit to miss ratio was around 80%.... Plus the fact that the targets are 9"x13" may allow me a little more leeway in IDPA (targets are 20"x40" if I remembr correctly). I will be shooting a stock G19 or a slightly modified G34.

I have shot a few IDPA events in the past and did rather well... However I appreciate your feedback and may focus a little more on accuracy to ensure a solid score over the speed factor. I'm really looking for reloading tech tips and other things of that nature to help shave time.

Keep the feedback coming guys... I'm a very competitive person and thrive on doing well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you watch the video I provided my hit to miss ratio was around 80%.... Plus the fact that the targets are 9"x13" may allow me a little more leeway in IDPA (targets are 20"x40" if I remembr correctly). I will be shooting a stock G19 or a slightly modified G34.

I have shot a few IDPA events in the past and did rather well... However I appreciate your feedback and may focus a little more on accuracy to ensure a solid score over the speed factor. I'm really looking for reloading tech tips and other things of that nature to help shave time.

Keep the feedback coming guys... I'm a very competitive person and thrive on doing well. </div></div>

Gotcha, I'll admit I didn't watch your video, sorry. I load a little light, cuts down on recoil for faster follow-ups or multiple targets, it saves on powder too.

I do load just not for 9mm yet.... I was curious if they give power factor points in uspsa or not?

I assume you plan on shooting USPSA Production with the G34. In USPSA there is only minor or major power factor. All of Production is scored minor, so you're fine as long as you meet the minimum power factor for minor.

Minimum power is 125, average speed of 3 rounds over the chrono times bullet weight divide by 1000, only the first 3 digits matter, nothing after the decimal is used. 124.9 is 124, 125.1 is 125 ..... be on the safe side around 127 to 130 because 124.9 on the official chrono means you are shooting for fun and no official score.

Great info guys.... Any prefferred factory 9mm loads to run for such events? Quality to quantity ( the best economical bullet that always goes bang).

Practice shooting and reloading on the move (advancing and retreating) around barricades, emphasis on accuracy "slow is smooth, smooth is fast etc." You'll lose/gain more time on the draw and reloads and hit/miss than how fast the gun actually runs. Of course, they have different rules but that is part of the mental game. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THE_Shithead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SLOW IS SLOW ... dont listen to this slow is whatever shit... slow is slow </div></div>

And the only thing worse than a miss, is a SLOW miss.

Slow plus misses or Failure to neutralize (i.e. not putting enough rounds on target) is even slower. Go ahead take your time, make accurate hits. If it takes an extra second or two to ensure you make good hits its better than having a bunch of points added to your score. Also, take your time and make sure you shoot in order and properly. I started shooting IDPA this year and I'm really enjoying it. First match, i tried to go faster than i should have and it cost me some extra time. But, part of that was nerves. Just calm down, have a good time shooting. Practice those reloads though, that's where you can make up time. Practice tac reloads too, fumbling around trying to stow that mag can cost you extra time as well. Also, just ask lots of questions from the guys that are there. I'm shooting a bone stock G17 with a fiber optic front sight. That's the only change I've made. So you CAN be competitive with a stock glock.

As far as ammo....I shoot what Wal-Mart has on sale......

Be safe and have fun!

I know nerves will be a factor but that's kind of the reason why I want to do it.... I need something to get my blood pumping again.

Thanks for the sound feedback.

You'll enjoy it. It's another reason to go shoot. But it'll also make you realize really quick what you need to work on when your under stress (even when the stress-er is a timer). Just go shoot and have fun with it. It is a game, but it's a fun game. Just have fun with it. It gets really fun when you get a rather demented individual designs the course of fire.....

IDPA targets may be bigger than that, but the 0 ring is only 6 inches. and every shot outside that is a point or 3 points down depending. slow down concentrate on the front sight...when the timer goes off your adreanline will start pumping and your shooting will go to hell

In IDPA it pays to take your time. I have people beat me all the time with their raw time but when you add in their points down I am usually on top.

Gotta find that happy spot of spend and accuracy....

I in no way consider myself great with a pistol but I'm pretty proficient with one. These comps are sure to test my mental and physical state. I know all to well that practice is important (I spend roughly 2-3 hours a week doing dry fire, malfunction corrections and reloads just to stay efficient.... And yet this is not enough). I'm also pretty pumped about getting alot more involved with the shooting community as most of my shoots are local. Always nice two meet other people with the same drive.

I'll be sure to follow up with a video after my first comp to compare/contrast and accept praise or criticism.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

One thing you might want to do that could help as far as speed and to increase sight picture is set up some barricades(i.e. BBQ pit, table, chairs) and a few of those targets up in your backyard and practice with an airsoft gun. I use an M&P for IDPA so I also bought an airsoft M&P to get the same "feel" and to practice in the backyard. Plus it fits in my holster so that's good. It will really help. For tactical reloads and stuff like that, i just use snap caps and practice in the living room.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In IDPA it pays to take your time. I have people beat me all the time with their raw time but when you add in their points down I am usually on top. </div></div>

^This. I focus on accuracy first, speed second. I've learned the speed comes with time and comfort level. You'll be shocked how much better the USPSA and IDPA will make you as a pistol shooter. Do you reload? If not, you'll definitely want to pick up that hobby as well to make the comps cheaper in the long run.

Yeah, I reload for rifle but not pistol (yet).

I've shot competively before (IDPA) and have learned many mistakes and feel I've corrected these issues. I have roughly 5k down the tube of my G34 and feel very comfortable running this weapon. Guess I just need to get out there and burn some powder... I will keep the advice received on this thread fresh and certainly will apply it in my weekly "training" segments.

I'd love to hear peoples load out equipment (i.e equipment that you swear by, modifications to equipment to enable shaved times, etc...)

A couple of things, you are not shooting at the whole target, you are aiming for a 6" wide zone in the center. Keep this in mind when practicing, too many shooters get used to BAB (Blasting at Brown) an not focused on hitting the center. Work on both your speed and accuracy. Neither will just happen. If you want to be accurate you must spend time learning how to fire an accurate shot. If you want to be fast you need to work on building speed. Speed always comes with some sacrifice of accuracy so it helps to be accurate, but without pushing the speed you'll never know how much you can sacrifice.

Just watched the video, your skills as gun handling look pretty decent. You have some good drills there. Working singles with transition will go a long way towards helping you be successful in USPSA or IDPA. Way too many shooters work on fast splits on target but are terrible on transitions across multiple targets. 15yds is a good distance to work at. It's close enough to allow you to push the speed but far enough to be unforgiving to poor technique.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat Harrison</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of things, you are not shooting at the whole target, you are aiming for a 6" wide zone in the center. Keep this in mind when practicing, too many shooters get used to BAB (Blasting at Brown) an not focused on hitting the center. Work on both your speed and accuracy. Neither will just happen. If you want to be accurate you must spend time learning how to fire an accurate shot. If you want to be fast you need to work on building speed. Speed always comes with some sacrifice of accuracy so it helps to be accurate, but without pushing the speed you'll never know how much you can sacrifice. </div></div>

Good info. Thanks for your input sir...

Have someone stand behind you and throw a coffee can over your head, draw and fire. Start with one round, when you get comfortable and make consistent hits, work on double taps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SlowNoisyDeadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have someone stand behind you and throw a coffee can over your head, draw and fire. Start with one round, when you get comfortable and make consistent hits, work on double taps </div></div>

I'm not trying to be an exibition shooter brother....

I dont think throwing a can over your head is really a good way to work on your skills. Do that with a shotgun at clay pigeons. Like everyone else is saying go slow at first try to be as accurate as you can, speed will come to you as you get better and more comfortable with shooting and moving. When you get to a match just ask questions most people will help out but like anything some have bad info also. Now, Go load some 9s and let the brass fly!

Get your head up in a natural position. Rotate your hips, not your arms. Your arms should make a tripod that doesn't change. If you rotate your hips like turret, you don't have to require the sights for each target just rotate to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get your head up in a natural position. Rotate your hips, not your arms. Your arms should make a tripod that doesn't change. If you rotate your hips like turret, you don't have to require the sights for each target just rotate to them. </div></div>

You got any video to see a demonstration? Judging by what you seen in my short clip can you point out my faults? I greatly appreciate the feedback sir.

It doesn't really have anything to do with exhibition shooting. I think it helps with fast target acquisition from the draw. Lots of good tips here though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SlowNoisyDeadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesn't really have anything to do with exhibition shooting. I think it helps with fast target acquisition from the draw. Lots of good tips here though </div></div>

Currently I base a lot of my drills off of what I did in the service. Alot of reflexive fire and mover drills but none as what you stated... I do appreciate your input though.

K,

I'll echo what Pat and Quickdraw said.

You want to use your hips to rotate, not your waist. This is key. Your lower body is much stronger and can do this movement more efficiently than your back.

You also deffinitely want to keep your head in the same spot before, during and after the draw. You don't want to introduce the extra variable of your head moving while having to deal with bringing the pistol on target. When you do.that you are changing the relationship between your eyes and the front sight on two different planes at the same time Remember you want consistency and efficiency. Think of only moving your arms. If you have a very aggresive shooting stance that's okay, but start in that aggressive stance before the beep. You might try developing a more upright posture as two plus hours of dryfire while bent over is pretty uncomfortable (speaking from experience).

Listen to Pat. If I'm not mistaken he's a big dog over at Brian Enos' forums.

Take a class from a GM as soon as possible. They'll set you straight and keep you from "burning in" bad habits (also speaking from experience here). They'll correct all the little things that you didn't know you were doing wrong.

I'll try and do a video of what I'm talking about and post it for ya.

Work on your footwork. In both sports it is probably the most overlooked factor in time. If I can get into shooting position faster, I can afford to shoot slower and make accurate hits. Index points in the walkthru, and run the scenario in your head a few times prior to running the stage.

The second best advice I was ever given was "leave the last stage behind". Don't let a bad round ruin the next stage or the rest of the match. Reloading and draw / dryfire drills are important as well. I use a sticky note pad paper, or ocassionally a few to practice draw / sight acquisition and transitions while I am watching tv.

I found these to be the most effective for improving in the short term, and keeping the skills sharp while I am not flinging rounds down-range.

Hope it helps, and have a great time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: layinclose2hell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Work on your footwork. In both sports it is probably the most overlooked factor in time. If I can get into shooting position faster, I can afford to shoot slower and make accurate hits. Index points in the walkthru, and run the scenario in your head a few times prior to running the stage.

The second best advice I was ever given was "leave the last stage behind". Don't let a bad round ruin the next stage or the rest of the match. Reloading and draw / dryfire drills are important as well. I use a sticky note pad paper, or ocassionally a few to practice draw / sight acquisition and transitions while I am watching tv.

I found these to be the most effective for improving in the short term, and keeping the skills sharp while I am not flinging rounds down-range.

Hope it helps, and have a great time! </div></div>

Awesome tips here. I can shoot my XD really well. I shot while moving/walking towards the targets at an angle the other day. First time moving and shooting with the pistol and my footwork was not good, threw me off really bad.

Earlier that day I had helped the local Sheriffs office set up and shoot their duty weapon qualifiers. I shot a few rounds of the course with them. I shot really well, always in the low to mid 90's but if I pulled the first or second shot a few inches at 25yds it had a slight affect on the rest of my round and it was game over for some of the shooters. I need to get better at distance and the "leave it behind" mentality will help until I get it down better. I also need to improve my footwork

Thanks for all the advice rendered guys. Solid information that I will apply.

Yep, that's smooth. You got some skills brother. I'm picking up what your putting down. The el prez clip was a good visualizational aid.

Looks like mid June will be my first comp.... That gives me a little more time to get my shit straight.

Thanks again for the clip Marty.

As said before, the key to doing well isn't to shoot as fast as you can. Most of a stage is going from one position to the next. You want to get moving as soon as the last round clears the barrel, but not before. The second you get into the next shooting position, you better be pressing the trigger. This is where you make up time.

As for your video, you need to work on not moving your head forward on the draw, keep your head up. It's wasted motion. The only thing that should move on the draw is your arms. At 0:40 and 0:52, you have a wasted motion of taking a slight step forward.

Watch your reloads. When you are reloading in the beginning after firing a lot of rounds, you do an extra flick to get the mag out. But when you shoot two reload shoot again, you don't do the flick. Make sure your Glock mags drop free, if they don't, buy some new ones.

You also don't need to bring the gun so far back to do the reload. Keep it up high in your line of sight, bring it back maybe 3-4". Once you seat the mag, it should only require a slight turn of the wrist to get the gun back on target and ready to fire. You shouldn't have to push the gun back out.

When you are filming yourself, try to get closer shots. What you want to do when reviewing your videos is to watch for things like extra movements and the time wasted getting into and out of a shooting position.

One big advice if you shoot Production in USPSA, formulate a plan on when you do your reloads, basically every time you move. If you end up firing extra shots and have to do a static reload, make sure you stick with the original plan to do a reload when you move, doesn't matter how many rounds are still left, just do the reload. Too many people screw this one up and end up doing static reloads at each position costing valuable time.

On top of all of that great advice about shooting, you also need to learn how to break a stage down to shoot it in an effecient way. No wasted movement, no wasted shots, where to reload, etc. One of the best ways to do that is to come up with a plan and then ask some of the experienced shooters at the match how they intend to shot it. the plans may not be the same and that is OK. Watch them and see how they shoot it and then watch the tape of how you shot it. Another way is to tape two or three other shooters so when you break the stage down later you can compare and contrast how they do it.

This is a skill that takes a long time to develop, but it will pay off in the long run.

If you get a chance come on down to KS and we can shoot together.

Guns

I greatly appreciate all the advice given guys... I also understand that despite my time in service (11B/4B MOS) and what skills I have obtained that this is a new world to me and to think that what I do know is sufficient would be foolish on my part... The reason why this sport holds such a high value to me is b/c it makes me feel connected to my brothers in arms. I like the fact that I can become even more efficient in this skill set (hence the reason why I'm reaching out and putting my pride to the side and excepting criticism).

Much appreciation guys.