• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If a person wanted to get in the 1000yd to 1 Mile club

Well, based on your criteria I would vote 300 WM. It's really not a serious 1 mile cartridge but will get there, is readily available and probably as "cheap" as anything that will do the job.

agreed run a 28in bbl or longer 1:9 twist (correct me if I'm wrong) and shoot 230gr bergers or 240gr smk, you'll definitely need a muzzle break unless your making a 30lb rig.

You could also try a 7mm RM or SAUM to get you out there but not as much energy left at a mile. Plus bullets might be a little cheaper.

Readily available???? Really?? Rifles are, but not components of anything mentioned above. Readily available? Do yourself a favor and go into this with both eyes open. Unless you're kinda rich and offer up lots of money or have an in somewhere with someone. Take a time machine to 2007. I'll send some cash with u. Just reality. Sucks. I hope you can figure a way though.

Readily available???? Really?? Rifles are, but not components of anything mentioned above. Readily available? Do yourself a favor and go into this with both eyes open. Unless you're kinda rich and offer up lots of money or have an in somewhere with someone. Take a time machine to 2007. I'll send some cash with u. Just reality. Sucks. I hope you can figure a way though.

Kinda tough on the OP??

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

Do you reload? 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 rem will get your to 1600 with the right load and atmospheric conditions...and do it at cheaper cost for ammo than many other rounds.

Cheapest and most readily available are not criteria I would choose, never mind combine, if I was going to shoot at one mile.

Set-up correctly a .300WM will do it. So will many other smaller calibers. Do you have a purpose in mind or is the goal simply to get a bullet to one mile supersonic?

I just want something that will shoot that far with a fair degree of accuracy that won't break the ol'e wallet.

Graham, another question. I really like the idea of shooting a .260. Could you give me a few details you might recommend. Type of barrel, barrel length, twist, exact bore. Anything else you can think of that is important to you that I did not include? again, I appreciate your time and info.

Not being tough on the op? Honest. 300 win mag brass, ready.......go. That's what I thought. So........... Heavy 30 cal bullets? I can find primers. Powder, yeah no. I have all this stuff, but the question was "available". I thought he wanted honesty, sorry. I would say then go get a 300 win mag built and, uh, well it will last you a long time because you might not shoot it for a long time. Get snap caps and dry fire it? I went through this with a buddy. He wanted one. Same story. He now owns one of my 308's. Shooting my stuff. Scary questions have scary answers. Reality?

Not being tough on the op? Honest. 300 win mag brass, ready.......go. That's what I thought. So........... Heavy 30 cal bullets? I can find primers. Powder, yeah no. I have all this stuff, but the question was "available". I thought he wanted honesty, sorry. I would say then go get a 300 win mag built and, uh, well it will last you a long time because you might not shoot it for a long time. Get snap caps and dry fire it? I went through this with a buddy. He wanted one. Same story. He now owns one of my 308's. Shooting my stuff. Scary questions have scary answers. Reality?

Nothing wrong with your true feelings about a subject!!!!
Hell more people should be like this

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

Thanks sir. I just think it is extremely sad that this is the state of affairs. I wish it were not the case. It is though. But I won't go in to my opinions why. For it is not allowed here. You get it. I have helped several people in these difficult times get plenty of trigger time. Just glad I have enough for my kids to shoot for a long time. Getting started now? Have fun.

There's a club? laughin...sorry, i like my 260 out to 1400...don't know what to tell you about that mile "club"

Last edited:
Go with a 338.
Edge, Lapua, Lapua AI,or if your feeling agressive,338 Big Baer, 338-408 Chey-Tec
If you are going to shoot to a mile, might as well have some fun doing it.

Graham, another question. I really like the idea of shooting a .260. Could you give me a few details you might recommend. Type of barrel, barrel length, twist, exact bore. Anything else you can think of that is important to you that I did not include? again, I appreciate your time and info.
There are lots of good barrel makers. An 8 twist is all you need. Length depends on the velocity you want. I use 24". Many of the competition guys shoot 26". Standard bore and groove.

The question is whether you want to load really long and use the extra powder capacity of the case, or run a standard throat. What I do is call Moon at Crescent Customs and tell him that I am shooting 130 VLDs. He does the rest.

But remember, there are a lot of good calibers that will shoot well at distance. The key is to have a purpose in mind for use of the rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

300WM while good, is out shinned in wind drift, and distance not to mention energy once past 1K by the better 7mm bullets.

The 7mm 162 amax or 168 VLD Berbers have above .6 G1 BCs.

7mm RM factory loaded roads are really available as is 300. But the 7mm will get you supper sonic just past a mile, while the 300 (at least mine) struggles.
The .300 and 7mm are too close to call, with the 7 being able to equal the performance of the larger caliber with less recoil and lighter bullets. Which means that the .300 puts more energy on target, not the other way around:

7mm 162 AMAX .599BC
7mm 180 Berger VLD .680BC
.308 180 JLK VLD .580BC
.308 210 JLK VLD .680BC
.308 230 OTM .719BC

Last edited:
The .300 and 7mm are too close to call, with the 7 being able to equal the performance of the larger caliber with less recoil and lighter bullets. Which means that the .300 puts more energy on target, not the other way around:

7mm 162 AMAX .599BC
7mm 180 Berger VLD .680BC
.308 180 JLK VLD .580BC
.308 210 JLK VLD .680BC
.308 230 OTM .719BC

Don't forget the 30 cal Target Bergers.

Berger 215 0.696 BC
Berger 230 0.743 BC

For a 1,000 a .308 is just fine w/ the right bullet. That would be the cheap way for 1,000.

For beyond above suggestions.

300WM with the bergers available. I use 7WSM with 180 bergers. Does great to 1000, good at past a mile. 1 moa is huge at 1 mile, so great is a matter of opinion, which is why I say good. You will have to reload or have rounds custom loaded for you.

300 Remington Ultra Mag. You can get the Sendero straight from the factory with a better than decent stock and youre not into the custom prices of a well setup Win Mag. Shoot the same heavy bullets, same powders, the brass is just as hard to find, but when you do shoot the RUM you have 20% more case capacity to launch that same 230 grain bullet a hell of a lot faster than a Win Mag can. Im pushing a Berger 230 grain bullet at 2850 out of a 26" barrel with 81.8 grains of RL25. It'll reach a mile in 20.9 mils

300 Remington Ultra Mag. You can get the Sendero straight from the factory with a better than decent stock and youre not into the custom prices of a well setup Win Mag. Shoot the same heavy bullets, same powders, the brass is just as hard to find, but when you do shoot the RUM you have 20% more case capacity to launch that same 230 grain bullet a hell of a lot faster than a Win Mag can. Im pushing a Berger 230 grain bullet at 2850 out of a 26" barrel with 81.8 grains of RL25. It'll reach a mile in 20.9 mils

Try having a play with RL33 & pick up a couple of hundred FPS :)

Try having a play with RL33 & pick up a couple of hundred FPS :)

I would love to, but I cant find anything right now. Im down to 1.5 lbs of RL25, Bergers are on backorder, and my local guys have pistol and shotgun powder. The only thing I have surplus of is primers. The only way I can get brass is to buy the crappy Remington loaded ammo and then wrap the casings in kevlar and hide them in the wheel wells of my truck.

I'm a fan of the 300WM. Me it seems to be the most readily available, with tons of bullet pwdr combinations. Has good energy downrange which also makes it great for hunting. With a good muzzle brake the recoil isn't bad at all. imho

I've been using a REM PSS in 7mm for 8 years now. Accuracy is great and has never been finicky with loads using a .010" jump to lands. I've been messing with a buddies 260rem and its a fantastic cartridge also, however when the wind picks up when shooting ELR, no bueno.