• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors If going for a suppressor today would you still go through a trustee?

skipnay

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2014
Let's start this off by saying this is my very first suppressor. I also don't let people borrow my guns. So that being said if I have my gun in in a hotel room and I'm out for dinner and my room mate is back in the room is that going to matter? I just figured that would be worse case scenario other then gas stops on road trips. My wife doesn't shoot much and I have a 5 year old daughter. The gun will always be in my safe at my house. So what about people at my house when I'm not there? Say I'm at work, hunting, away from town and so on? Giving this information as of now and hopefully soon they will make these just like buying long guns. Would you go through a trustee?

If you change your mind down the road, it will cost you another $200 / suppressor to move them to a trust. The odds of just buying this one and not more are not very good.

Owning a suppressor isn't all that "black hat" "clan-destined" crap that gets repeatedly espoused on the boards. As the owner only you can be in possession of the suppressor...............but that doesn't mean you can't let other people shoot it if you are with them of course you can. There are lots of reasons for a trust, multiple trustees being one of the most relevant although asset protection and estate planning are important also.. Any trustee can be in possession of the can, but in your case that doesn't seem important (today anyway) so for you a trust might not be necessary. As the owner your are obligated to keep those not authorized from possessing the suppressor from having access to it (most everyone else.) At home, in a safe you're good to go..............you don't have to carry it with you. In a hotel room left with your friend...........I would suggest a secure case. Same when traveling and leaving your car unattended. It's not a nuclear warhead, just a NFA item. As already pointed out, it would be less costly to set up a trust now rather than later and transfer your stamps.

I'm NOT an attorney... I would suggest a trust. You will be the grantor of the trust, and you will need one trustee of legal age to start the trust, unless you use the Silencershop Single Shot Trust. Then you only need one person to buy NFA items on a trust. You can always add/delete trustees as needed. A trust will make it easier and cheaper to pass your NFA items on to your kids or whomever when you pass on.
If this is your first can, after using it, you are most likely to want more, so if you are on the fence about getting more than one, consider it. The process isn't completely terrible, but the wait blows.

Scott

I have a trust because I leave the rifle stuff at the ranch with my parents so I wanted my father to be on the trust as well so it could remain in his possession legally. Also if I die he doesnt have to pay another 200 bucks.
There are many reasons to have a trust and with the passing of 41F only one reason was removed and that was the finger prints.

The only way to make a trust reasonable now is to take a brand new or existing trust with only you as grantor and trustee, and a beneficiary as a non-responsible person.

Put things in there for several years. When you decide you want to "share" your stuff, add a trustee, and stop adding NFA items to that trust so you don't have to have the other trustee(s) get printed and photo's every damn time you add something.

Make a new trust, and start adding new stuff to that. Repeat.

I just added my brother as trustee after putting 12 suppressors, 5 SBRs and 4 MGs in the trust in the last 8 years. Now he can use any of those things. If I get new things, I"ll get them as an individual or start a new trust so I don't have to send him to the police station for prints every time I add a new suppressor.

41F is stupid.

purchased my first can Friday and went individual. Wife will not be shooting without me. Daughter is too young. No real benefit to me as of right now. If it's not with me on the range it will be locked in the safe.

I also have many on my trust. When I buy more NFA items in the future, I will start a new trust with only 2, then buy 5 or more suppressors/SBR's at the same time to keep the hassle level down. You can also delete trustees with a rider, buy NFA items with the amended trust, and then add another rider for each trustee you want to add back on. It's a silly game, but it can be done.

Scott

I'd go to an attorney and get a trust, has a lot of advantages, however, if you plan to never get married, have kids or leave this stuff to anyone when you die, then you won't really need it. If any of that applies to you, you may find it useful. As far as just purchasing goes, the new law makes it actually more of a hassle to use a trust. Still, wouldn't trade my trust, but most of my purchases are done too, the bulk anyway.

Your first... I like that. Yeah, you'll be getting more, and one day they'll be more common than spent brass, same with SBR's because you'll want those too when you see how long it makes your M4, and when you realize the advantages of .300BLK. It's a tube that goes on the barrel that doesn't blow your ears off, it's no big deal.

My wife has bought NFA items too FWIW. She particularly likes shooting the .22's. I don't loan my stuff either and any "borrowing" done is a friend shooting something in my presence.