• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes if i found 2k to spend...

Asiparks

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2010
Portland, Or
on an optic to bung on my 308 POF to go to, say 600-800yrds...what to do.
It's a major chunk of change, but then i looked back on the "mixed" bag of optics that I've bought this past 6 years, looked at how many of those i actually still use, did some mental math, cursed somewhat and it got me thinking.....rather than have a safe full of paperweights why not get 1 really bloody nice scope ( yes, i know...)
web.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">scopes- some good, some pretty shitty and some worse than that...</span>

Originally thinking of getting an IOR 3-18x.for around $1400 new. Then started looking at Nightforce and pre-owned USO's and Premier Heritages. Seen a couple of used PH 3-15X gen 2 mil dot for the 2K mark, a few USO's for not much more.

Is it worth the extra $500 or to jump up a tier and get the used PH 3-15, or should i stick with the IOR 3-18 / NSX 3.5-15 ?
Most of my shooting will be prone at paper/tin cans in decent light with the occasional hunt.

Sorry for the noobish question and thanks....

Re: if i found 2k to spend...

If it were me and for a gas gun going to 6-8 hundred I would be looking hard a 2.5-10 mil/mil Nightforce or 1.8-10 USO mil/mil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asiparks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">scopes- some good, some pretty shitty and some worse than that...</span> </div></div>

Out of curiosity- which scopes are in which group, and why?

get a used PH!!!! or a 6-24x25 Zeiss Victory Diavari w/ mildot

My guesses:

1. Tasco Red Dot
2. ATN Reflex sight (?)
3. Trijicon 3x30
4. IOR 1.5-8x26
5. aimpoint M(L)2/3
6. aimpoint M(L)2/3
7. aimpoint M(L)2/3 w/ BOBRO
8. aimpoint M(L)2/3
9. IOR 1.1-4x26 w/ ADM Recon
10. Millet DMS-1 1-4x24 w/ LT139
11. Trijicon TR21 1.25-4x24 w/ 1'' LT139
12. Vector Optics 1-4x24 w/ LT139
13. Millet TRS-1 4-16x50 w/ LT104
14. Tasco 3-9x40

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guesses:

1. Tasco Red Dot
2. ATN Reflex sight (?)
3. Trijicon 3x30
4. IOR 1.5-8x26
5. aimpoint M(L)2/3
6. aimpoint M(L)2/3
7. aimpoint M(L)2/3 w/ BOBRO
8. aimpoint M(L)2/3
9. IOR 1.1-4x26 w/ ADM Recon
10. Millet DMS-1 1-4x24 w/ LT139
11. Trijicon TR21 1.25-4x24 w/ 1'' LT139
12. Vector Optics 1-4x24 w/ LT139
13. Millet TRS-1 4-16x50 w/ LT104
14. Tasco 3-9x40 </div></div>

Wow ! you guess good, pretty much nailed it other than: #5 is an Aimpoint ripoff in an equally sketchy "arms" mount and #10 is the rather good GRSC CRS FFP scope by Ed Verdugo . But as the tube/turrets are indeed the same as the DMS 1, you get that point.

The good ones are the usual suspects, the TA33, the TR21, the two IORs and the Aimpoints (2 M2's, 1 M3).
The TRS I thought wa ok until it decided to liven things up on my 308 by spinning the reticule around a bit with each shot...
web.jpg

My first ever two optics, the ATN and Tasco work fine as long as they're nowhere near a firearm and the the Tasco 3-9 is akin to a beer bottle.
Surprising, the Vector 1-4, (and China based contract over-runner of the much loved, made in Rochester, CounterSniper line ), actually works OK in terms of holding zero, once you understand out that the turrets aren't clicking in conventional MOA graduations. Or Mils for that matter.
Not pictured are 3 NC Star scopes, featuring varying degrees of rubber armor, zoom and illumatinatory color.
So I'm learning pay for = get...hence my question, used USO/PH (that will probably not depreciate too bad should I decide I don't like it) or a new IOR / NSX.

I looked at the 10X, but I'm thinking I want a little higher magnification.

My vote would be for Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x with PredatorTech off-set mount for RedDot.

1. Used Premier Heritage 3-15x FFP
2. Nightforce FFP
2. USO SN3 FFP
3. IOR 3-18x42 FFP
4. Leupold FFP
5. Zeiss Victory Diavari 6-24x56 SFP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asiparks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's a major chunk of change, but then i looked back on the "mixed" bag of optics that I've bought this past 6 years, looked at how many of those i actually still use, did some mental math, cursed somewhat and it got me thinking.....rather than have a safe full of paperweights why not get 1 really bloody nice scope ( yes, i know...)
</div></div>

I had the same realization not too long ago myself. For the past ten years I had been picking up one or two guns a year at gun shows or what have you. I always bought something that looked like it would be cool or fun to shoot, but after the first day at the range the fun would wear off and the gun would just sit in the gunsafe. I finally decided to sell all those guns I never shot anymore (sold most of them here on the Hide) and bought myself a GAP rifle and a Premier Scope. My gun safe sure is empty now....but I shoot a lot more now than I ever did! I love my GAP and take it out and shoot it at least four or five times a month.
Something for everyone to consider....if you have a gun you haven't shot in over 2 years, maybe you should turn it into something you want and would shoot all the time. Like you said, get rid of the "paper weights."
smile.gif

I, too, have changed my philosophy regarding scopes. I purchased a NF 8x32x56 NXS with Badger tactical rings and replaced the mounts on all my long-range rifles with Picatinny rails. Best thing I ever did, only wish I'd done it sooner. I've put PRs on my HOWA .223, Savage .223, Remington 700 .22-250, Remington 700 .308, Winchester 70 .300WSM, and Sako TRG-42 .338 LM and have worked out the dope on each of those rifles using my hand loads. Takes me about a minute and a half to switch the glass to a different rifle and dial in the dope.

Srt shadow XL on the way
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I could own one in MA, it would most definatly be a suppressor.

GG </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are your rifles lying on wet cement?
smile.gif
</div></div>

because on wet water, they sank.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asiparks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Srt shadow XL on the way
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I could own one in MA, it would most definatly be a suppressor.

GG </div></div></div></div>

Siiiigh......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asiparks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are your rifles lying on wet cement?
smile.gif
</div></div>

because on wet water, they sank..... </div></div>

Oh, OK, I hadn't thought of that!

Was just wondering
smile.gif

Once you're in the 2k range, you might as well be looking at some used S&B's for a few hundred more and not be worrying about:

1. Will it perform.
2. Is the glass good enough.
3. If I sell it, will I lose out.
4. Why is it in my safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asiparks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I had the same realization not too long ago myself. For the past ten years I had been picking up one or two guns a year at gun shows or what have you. I always bought something that looked like it would be cool or fun to shoot, but after the first day at the range the fun would wear off and the gun would just sit in the gunsafe. I finally decided to sell all those guns I never shot anymore (sold most of them here on the Hide) and bought myself a GAP rifle and a Premier Scope. My gun safe sure is empty now....but I shoot a lot more now than I ever did! I love my GAP and take it out and shoot it at least four or five times a month.
Something for everyone to consider....if you have a gun you haven't shot in over 2 years, maybe you should turn it into something you want and would shoot all the time. Like you said, get rid of the "paper weights."
smile.gif
</div></div>

I've been kicking around the idea of selling my SIG 556 that's been sitting in my safe for two years now and probably has maybe 100 rounds through it. I could probably use that as a big downpayment on a USO or S&B and actually get my $$ worth. I hate selling guns though. The last time I sold off my gun collection was right before the AWB went into effect and I've regretted it ever since.

The best thing I ever did about getting out and shooting lately, was to have a casual conversation with our IT manager about shooting. It turns out that he's been using old hard drives for target practice.

He's responsible for destroying the data (deleting files off of hd's is like ripping the table of contents out of a book) of the corporate drives before disposing of them. They are just the right size and have lots of springs and small parts to go flying.

But the best part is that every other month or so we have to go shooting!
laugh.gif

My choices from experience with them would be a NF or USO. Go with the mid-range magnifications for your desrired needs, probably around 3.5-15ish. I tend to stick with the products from companies that have good people that are approachable working at them. NF and USO have always fit that bill for me. Not to say that others don't, but these are the two I have experience with. The best option right at that 2K range might be the NF F1.

By the way, that POF 308 is a nice stick. I had the opportunity to handle a couple of those yesterday ranging from 5.56, 6.8 to 308.

I think for under 2k NF is hard to beat, and if you pay close attention to the For sale section you can get awesome deals (I got my NXS 3.5x15 for 1250$NIB) I will say this, the NF is an awesome scope, but as soon as I have a little more to spend on an optic I will be selling my NF to fund a USO or Hensoldt. Just because I want one
laugh.gif

In that price range, given your requirements, the NF 2.5-10x32 or the F1 would be nice. So often, we correlate price with quality. Sometimes, thats not the way it is.

It's a bit overkill but I'd recommend the S&B 5-25x56 scope, as it will probably be all the scope you will ever need (unless you go really really long range shooting and need the 12.5-50x56). That would be the one piece of glass that would outlast several rifles. There are some great deals to be had on them. Over in the Optics for sale forum, I think the Mile High folks were selling some new ones on close out for $2500

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1916907#Post1916907