• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If I inlet my stock for DBM...

BigCheese1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
Got my HS Precision stock for my Rem700. Definitely want DBM. It has the hinged floor plate now. IF I inlet it for my spare M5 DBM that accepts AI mags.. will this prevent me from going back to a hinged floor plate should I wish to?
Its late and my thinking is slower than normal... but I am picturing me removing some material to fit the M5 DBM and I am concerned that it will cause issues if I ever went back to a hinged floor plate for a certain hunt or whatever scenario.
Is my best bet just going with Wyatts M4 drop in fit DBM?
I wanted to utilize AI mags and I already have this spare 'Stealth M5 DBM' begging to go into this stock. Don't really want to spend the money for a whole other DBM and lose out on AI mags... but also don't want to prevent myself from going back to a hinged floor plate should I wish to. Barely any material needs removed so I can't picture it crippling me here...
Help mehhh!!
Thanks guys

Who's cares about hunting with a 5 round dbm? You could do it with hs dbm and hs bdl, I think... As long as the dimensions of the two are equal. But like I said, who cares?

Last edited:
I have an M5 on a HS precision stock , I didn't do the install but did watch it done.
They did have to mill some out so it doesn't seem like the stock floor plate would fit in there properly again.

I guess my question is why worry about installing it back in for a hunt? Unless maybe you plan on selling the rifle and want to keep
the M5 bottom metal for another build, then it would makes sense .

I guess my question is why worry about installing it back in for a hunt?

I also wonder why would you care about putting back the std floorplate back in the rifle just to go hunting. I know of no state that prohibits hunting with a rifle that has a detachable magazine, so long as magazine capacity regulations (if they exist in that state) are followed.

I do not want to inlet for the day that I may drop a mag in the field or whatever scenario you can think of and I want/need to throw my hinged floorplate back on. I'd rather not mess with the stock for multiple reasons. I was hoping I could find a drop in bottom metal thats accepts AI mags. No luck so far. All drop in fits that I have seen for a 700 long action use proprietary mags! This is a dedicated .270 Rem hunting rifle in a sleek HS precision stock. I plan on saving any M5 inletting for my future "tactical build"
You would think that someone would make a friggin drop in that uses AI mags. PTG does but only for short actions. LAME!

So I do not know how I missed it but PTG does in fact make exactly what I was looking for in the above post!! I have somehow overlooked them every time? No idea how...

Remington 700 Long Action / DROP IN Detachable Bottom Metal / AI Mag compatible

Just purchased this from them moments ago!

https://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.co...ucts_id=1124&zenid=vl0ffkg0l58rkciunvd4qnna14

Midway carries it also

PTG Trigger Guard AICS Detachable Box Mag Remington 700 Long Action

I purchased an extra mag with it. Can't wait. Let you know how it works since I have only read one review on it so far.

I do not want to inlet for the day that I may drop a mag in the field or whatever scenario you can think of and I want/need to throw my hinged floorplate back on.

IMO your scenario is so ridiculous that it is not worth worrying about.

If you are so concerned about accidentally dropping a mag in the field and can't get over the fact that the probability of it happening is so small, then do one of three things:

1) Keep the magazine in your pocket until you get to your stand/shooting position, then insert it in the rifle
2) Carry one extra full mag in your pocket
3) Forget the whole DBM thing

If you are so concerned about accidentally dropping a mag in the field and can't get over the fact that the probability of it happening is so small, then do one of three things:

1) Keep the magazine in your pocket until you get to your stand/shooting position, then insert it in the rifle

I know it. But My whole point behind it was to not eliminate my ability to go back and forth. Didnt want to inlet anything. That was just one oddball scenario I tried to dream up to rationalize not shipping my stock off for in-letting this morning. I like how sleek my rifle is with the floor plate but will need a mag in the future.. Thanks for the advice

Can you switch back and forth? Yes...
Is it worth the pain of relieving the glass bedding of a properly installed bottom metal and rebed the other back and forth? No...

Can you switch back and forth? Yes...
Is it worth the pain of relieving the glass bedding of a properly installed bottom metal and rebed the other back and forth? No...

Goodnight what's with you guys... I do not intend to go back and forth every day. All I want is to use AI mags without milling my stock and eliminating my ability to use the floorplate again should I wish to do so. That is all.

I understand the Marine shooters are having great luck with detachable mags in the sandbox. Don't belive they are overly concerned with them falling out.

I don't understand why people are being assholes I think it was a good question and marnies also hav dozens of replacement mags at their disposal not s very good comparsion had a friend who bought a brand new savage axis had it less then a week deer hunting and lost his mag had to pay 70$ for a new one.....it can happen there's people like you on every forum tho , get a rise out of bad mouthing someone over the Internet , love to meet up with a person like yourself in the real world nashlaw

Stick with the BDL in that rifle. Why do you want a DBM for a .270 hunting rifle? If you feel there is a need then go to it. Worried about the mag falling out you can do like mentioned and not put it in until you need it or wrap a piece of duct tape around it. Won't come out.

FYI [MENTION=87759]BigCheese1[/MENTION] that PTG DBM DOES fit a BDL inlet, it DOES NOT accept (not well at least) standard AI mags. They are AICS type mags but they are 3.775 length NOT the standard 3.715 AI 300wm mags. The 3.775 mags won't fit into your M5 for sure. Here's a way to make standard mags work, if ya have some laying around http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/204465-shimming-magazines.html

FWIW I decided to sell my dbm setup and bought a PTG aluminum BDL plate, it is way nicer than the factory one, I think I'll like it. If I ever decide I'm being handicapped in some way by the BDL setup then I will look back into DBMs.

Last edited:
I want to raise this post from the dead and repeat the OP question from a different perspective.

If I had a stock cut for an M5 pattern DBM, and wanted to remove that and install a hinged floorplate in the same footprint, is there an aftermarket solution out there? a bottom metal that I can buy that would fit the outline? I don't care if I have to profile the inside surface or even outer one, what I would want to avoid is changing the stock inlet, and result in minimum gap.

It’s a legitimate concern. I lost a mag in 2018 and two in 2019 using AICS mags hunting out west.

I now put a zip tie around the mag release. I can still drop the mag if needed, but it required deliberate action... not just an accidental bump.

I want to raise this post from the dead and repeat the OP question from a different perspective.

If I had a stock cut for an M5 pattern DBM, and wanted to remove that and install a hinged floorplate in the same footprint, is there an aftermarket solution out there? a bottom metal that I can buy that would fit the outline? I don't care if I have to profile the inside surface or even outer one, what I would want to avoid is changing the stock inlet, and result in minimum gap.

Badger M4 hinged floorplate would probably fit with minor adjustments.