• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing If only one gun for deer hunting????

Re: If only one gun for deer hunting????

For deer inside 400, my 270 has done everthing ever asked of it, and never had to walk more than 50 feet from the impact. I hope my 308 serves me as well, since the 270 is now my wifes hunting rifle.
Eric

Where I come from, 243 is all that is needed. Ammo is everywhere, placement is king, and fast and flat yields less compensation/misses not only for the beginner, but for the seasoned shooter as well.

The 260 I run is good stuff though. With more experience, I may favor it, but in the end, fast and flat along with placement gets my vote.

Remington 700, Tikka T3 or Winchester M70... I prefer Remington 700. These are my 4 favorite calibers... 300WM, 300RUM, 7mm or 7RUM. If I had to choose just one, it would be the 7RUM.

My favorite rifle is a 375 H&H Mauser, but for deer hunting to 400 yards there is 1 choice above the rest. The pre-64 Model 70 in .270 shooting 130 grain power points.

257 Weatherby in a Vanguard or Mark V

Second choice would be a 7mm Rem mag in a Tikka or R700

man those new switch barrel tompson centers look good (thats just one gun) cal for me would have to be a 7mag u can kill any thing in north america with that round. Chaz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30-06 over and over and over again.

Every time the "one and only rifle comes up" the 30-06 is tough to beat.

EDIT: Missed the "Factory Gun" part

In that case, a Sako TRG22 or a used custom 30-06/308 </div></div>

If I could have one rifle...period...for any game in North America...it would be an '06.

My new Deer rifle is a 6mm Remington done by GAP. I have a feeling my 30-06 model 70 will be collecting dust unless I draw an Elk tag.

My 7mm Remington Mag has always done it's job when I do mine. Flat shooting with lots of knock down and reasonable recoil.