• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes If Santa comes early....

snake_charmer

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2013
Florida
I just picked up a Savage 10FCP-SR. The funds were nearly depleted after that so I'm hoping Santa (old lady) has me on the good list and will allow me to purchase the Scope I need in the next month or so. After reading the sticky thread I've narrowed it down to the Vortex PST FFP 6x24x50, mainly due to the zero stop feature, and illumination. The SWFA-SS was on the list but there is no zero stop and with the illumination feature it gets a little pricey compared to the Viper ($1500 vs. $950). The really tricky part is I've heard that there is an increasing shift toward mrad optics versus the moa. It's easier for communicating calculations? Which should I go with since I would like to attend some schools down the road and perhaps even some competitions if I get good enough one day :eek: Thanks for the help. It's agonizing having a rifle you can only stare at.

Last edited:
Bet with the SWFA you'll never need illumination. :)

Go with MIL. Much easier to communicate holdovers. Once you learn the MIL system (which is extremely easy to figure out), you'll never go back.

Bet with the SWFA you'll never need illumination. :)

Go with MIL. Much easier to communicate holdovers. Once you learn the MIL system (which is extremely easy to figure out), you'll never go back.

I'll just need a cardboard box to live in...lol j/k. Seriously though, that scope cost more than my entire rifle. It's an expensive sport so I'm trying to ration the money enough in each area to at least start shooting the rifle (without cheaping out). Stuff like scope, rings, bidpods all add up really quick. I wish there was more of a market for the middle end scopes but it seems like it goes from dirt to gold real quick.

Last edited:
Whereabouts in Tx are you?

I hear good things about the PST (and their other lines as well) but have never seen/used a Vortex. I do have a fixed 10x SWFA SS and like it a lot; they also recently released a 3-15x version for $700, so that may be something you are interested in. True, neither have zero stops or illumination but I have not had any need for illum, and my thinking is that if it gets dark enough that you need illumination, then what you really need is NV. A zero stop would be nice, but if the rifle is only going to be used at the range I would say it is unnecessary - if you do use it for comps or switch between different target distances quickly it would be useful, but in a no stress trip to the gun range scenario they aren't a make it or break it deal for me. Since you say you are on a thin budget, I would consider the SS 10x fixed and spending the rest on ammo. If you think it sucks to stare at a rifle with no optic, imagine how you would feel if you have a gun ready to hit the range but no ammo to shoot with it.

San Antonio, Texas. There's a good amount of 1000 yard ranges in Texas. I was planning on joining a gun club with the old lady to attend on certain weekends throughout the month. Most of the gun clubs also hold competitions once or twice a month. I'm just not sure a 3-15x would cut it. Plus it's nice to know you can spot for someone with your scope using a 6-24.

I would make certain you actually want FFP, it can save you some if not. $200-250 less if you opt for SFP. Personally, I don't care for FFP, but mil/mil is the only way to go.

I've got the 6-24 PST in ffp and it will do what you are wanting to do. I was in the same place as you are just a year ago and am ready to step up to a little better optics now but it's going to be hard to do so without spending twice the price of the PST. If you are shooting steel then definitely go with the ffp. If you are going to be shooting paper then the sfp will work but...down the road the ffp is easier to resell than the sfp. More people want the ffp scopes. Mil/mil is the easiest to do the math with.

Wow, and to think I thought the decision making process was nearly over because I had finally narrowed down my search to one scope. After watching several videos I do prefer one aspect of the SFP, it's not obnoxious on the target when zoomed in at full power. However, being that I'm fairly new to long range shooting I'm leaning towards the FFP since it's much easier for the calculations since they remain constant no matter the distance. This also makes it much easier when zooming between distances. It almost seems that beyond the image portion of the target the sfp is inferior in a lot of aspects, maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:
Awesome, I've pretty much nailed the set up for my Savage. Vortex Viper FFP PST 6x24x50 in mil/mil. Bobro QD mount with a Harris bi-pod.

Most good FFP reticles are not obnoxious on distant targets when craked to max. Everyone makes too big a deal of this! You'll learn to compensate for either FFP or SFP. Many good options. Would definitely go mil/mil though. Just get out and start shooting. Good Luck.

I now shoot FFP but would have zero issues using SFP again. The Nightforce NXS line is SFP and highly regarded. if you are looking for a range that has targets set up at 100, 300, 1000 or whatever, FFP may not be nessacary. If you don't plan on shooting much in the early morning or close to dusk, you may not need illumination. Eliminating features that you will not use often, to start with, will usually get you into better glass cheaper. The Vortex PST is a great choice but it's a couple hundred bucks cheaper in SFP. Also realize that the PST's zero stop is functional, but it's not something to really write home about. Also check out the offerings from Bushnell, Weaver, Sightron and SWFA.