• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s If you are 30 or older..... lol

Sendero_Man

OMWP... the way I roll
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 29, 2007
    Buffalo, Wyoming
    montanagunslings.com
    Seen this before, but it makes me laugh my ass off everytime !
    grin.gif

If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning.....

Uphill... Barefoot...

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!
    When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever!
    And you could never win.. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,
    The Over 30 Crowd

(Send this to someone you'd like to make smile, Whether they are under 30 or not.)

Re: If you are 30 or older..... lol

Yeah I remember channel surfing...all 4 of them, damn. I have carpal tunnel syndrome from twisting the knob on a Magnavox TV that had about a 23 inch screen and weighed 200 lbs.

2z5rbpu.jpg

The only remote was Dad telling me to get up and change the channel. I recently went back to school at the age of 40 and the kids have no idea what it was like to type on a typewriter and have to use whiteout to fix a mistake. Also they have no idea what cliff notes are or how to properly make a footnote to give credit for a quote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338Sendero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I miss Pepsi and Coke in the glass bottles-plastic just doesn't taste the same. </div></div>

Go check out the mexican formulation coke they sell at bevmo. It's in real glass bottles and is made with actual sugar instead of high fructose corn goo.

Atari 2600?

Mine was pong in the 60s!!

Good post. Atari was fun, but when I got my Commodore 64, it was on!

Channel surfing didn't take to long. 3 channels. Now ther's a couple hundred and still not a damn thing on.

I started programming when you actually hard wired the program on a board. Laughed at a job site where a real ass wipe of a co-worker dropped two trays of cards which was his program.

Im almost 29 and remember all of that. lol. Kids these days... lol.

Thats funny shit right there. I wish I had a pic of my 13 y.o. daughters face as I tried to explain to her my first TV was black and white. Awesome
    crazy.gif

I go back a little further when there were 8 Track Tapes and actual records. The records that always got scratched on the one song that you bought the album for. And, you had to put a matches covers under the 8 track so you get it to play in the car. Oh, those were the days. There were also cool things like no cell phones, no Facebook, and no twitter to bug the crap out of me ALL DAY long. WTF, kill all that crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smallmouth Crazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always said I wasnt going to preach to my kids...but I do, I sound just like my Parents. </div></div>

+1

I'm 28 and I've had to experience every one of those things. Except the not having a microwave; I can remember having one of those at least by the time I was three. Tried microwaving an egg and it wasn't a good result, haha. Boom!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats fuuny shit right there. I wish I had a pic of my 13 y.o. daughters face as I tried to explain to her my first TV was black and white. Awesome
    crazy.gif
    </div></div>

I had the same issue with my then 10 y.o. daughter, after she pondered that bit of information for a couple of minutes she asked, "Dad, when you were a kid were your clothes black and white too?"
    I about pissed myself laughing.

Lets not forget about the football game you plugged into the outlet. You would turn it on and the field would vibrate so the little plastic men would move!

F the DS and PSP...I want that old handheld football game that was as clunky as toaster and had red lights for the players...what was that called?

Hilarious post and word on the "keeps getting faster and harder until you die..."

And what the hell is the attraction about texting??? Cal the SOB up! If he's not there, leave a message, and if you're lucky, he'll call back! Texting while driving must be the ultimate stupidity. Much more dangerous that all those times when I was single, driving home with one eye closed at 2 AM, so I knew which was the real white line down the road..........

I'm almost 50 and I can remember when my grandparents got running water and a bathroom in the house. Pap wouldn't hardly ever use the one in the house, said he didn't like to eat and shit under the same roof. He's been gone over 30 years and I still miss him.

How bout the school bus w/o tint and all the stop thingies stickin off it. If ya werent' smart enough to run faster around the bus ....squish.
    An some of these new damn toys Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, way better than stuff back then (not jus video games).
    Although LAWN DARTS that actually had a spike on'm that's how a toy outta be made.
    Also heard grades are now based on class participation and homework not just tests. Deeamn wish they had that back then I woulda been freakin Harvard material in that case. AND if ya "forget" what your homework is..you can look it up online? Deeeamn TO EASY I wont get into the backpacks with wheels and handles.

Before the Atari 2600 we had a Magnavox Odessy. It played six games and they were all a variation of pong.

How about the little hand held games you play football or baseball on that were just lit red lines? That was the equivalent of todays Nintendo DS or whatever it is that my son has.

I thought I was a badass when I got a 128k or something expansion memory module for my Commodore and before that, I was king of the hood when I got a 5 1/4 floppy and when I got the 3.5" I had the chicks flocking to the house!! Weehoo! (damn, we didnt have crap back then when you think about it!)

John

Saw this somewhere else but pertinent the same.....
    We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
    Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
    No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
    Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
    We got daddy’s belt when we misbehaved
    Had three TV channels you got up to change
    No video games and no satellite
    All we had were friends and they were outside, playin’ outside Chorus
    It was a different life
    When we were boys and girls
    Not just a different time
    It was a different worldSchool always started the same every day
    The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray
    Not every kid made the team when they tried
    We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all right

Chorus

No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
    And every Sunday, all the stores were closed

ATARI'...I wish I had an ATARI

All I ever got was a little Calico Football game....Yes' the players where little red squares (Both Sides!!!)

Theaters had double features,
    One Dollar allowance was freakin Awsome!!!
    (Made in Japan) was not a good thing!!!,
    (In GOD we trust)was not a bad thing either,
    & we all sang the national anthem before class!!!,
    O' & Teachers where allowed to kick your ASSS!!!

Yeah, I remember all that and more. Actually, a lot of that stuff, Atari's*, cable-TV and shit like that were pretty much luxuries early on that only the wealthier kids had. That alone would shock kids today - most folks had relatively little money. Hell, I remember when virtually no one I knew drove new cars! Now every teenager in creation drives a fancier/newer car than me!! No one had air-conditioners...if it was hot you used a fan or went outside - during the day you'd just sweat it out!

The one thing that really gets me is how little young people appreciate the ability to acquire and listen to music today. Getting a record or tape was a pretty big deal when I was young. Like the OP noted, you tried to tape stuff off the radio(which sounded like sh#t of course), you borrowed and taped friends albums, etc. Now kids can literally download ANYTHING in an instant! They dismiss stuff without a thought, they listen to something twice and move on, they walk around with ipods containing more music than any lifetime record-collector of old could have dreamed of.
    It's amazing how dramatically things change.

And every subsequent generation says the same thing one way or the other...

*just saw Zombie's new post - guess I wasn't the only one!
    grin.gif

Hell,I remeber in 1962 being taken to all American Indian Boarding School at Shiprock,New Mexico. At a tender age of 6 years old. Everything we had on us was taken away. Standrad clothinf were issued,everything was done in military style,marching,standing,roll calls,flat top hair cuts,.They had us stripped down naked and at attention,then down with white body lice powder,chow was served military style,beating,na,they would do that,torture ,na... In '62 95% of the students came to school by horse back or wooden wagons. I miss the Beaura of Indian Affairs ,part of the US Goverment that run it,so much. I spented 8 years of my life there. Crazy Dog.

I just can't stand the lil' bastards with the pants down around their knees (with some graffiti mural painted on the ass, which is at calf height)underwear hanging out, t-shirt 10 sizes too big, one arm in a sweatshirt, hat on sideways, walking funny down the street trying to keep it all from falling off. They look like they fell into a much larger persons laundry basket, got all tangled up in shit, then just walked away.

I can appreciate the idea of "style" or "uniquness" if that's what you're into, but it's gotta at least be somewhat functional.

I'm about 32, and while it dosent seem like that long sine I was a teenage, my how things have changed.

Something that I miss is dialing any phone number (rotary of course) with the same prefix using only the last four numbers. Anyone else do that?

We had a microwave, but other than that you pretty much nailed my childhood. The one thing that is amazing to me is the cars. I don't remember my mother ever buying a car that was worth more than $1500 till the day she died. My grandpa drove the same Ford truck from 1978 until he died. Now everybody has a new car every couple years. I don't get it.

Jeremiah

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5x5GUY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something that I miss is dialing any phone number (rotary of course) with the same prefix using only the last four numbers. Anyone else do that? </div></div>

I remember when the phone company had to send a letter to every house and tell the users to start dialing the local 3 digit prefix, not just the last 4 numbers and everyone thought what an inconvenience that was.

I would go back in a heart beat to those days.

LOL... thats great. I just bought an atari off ebay so i could show my son some original video games. Its funny how good i though they used to be.

We had our first kid 10months ago and i am always asking my mom "did we have that when i was..." I didnt have a car seat...imagine that? It was the responsibility of whoever was driving OR the persons lap you were sitting on to tell you when to hold on or stick their arm out to grab you. A couple times of eating the dash (they were hard then too) you learned.

How long has it been since you have seen a pickup load of kids riding in the back going to the beach or just to the store?

how about working for what you got? I drove farm truck when i was 8 and got pulled over for the first time when i was 10...in a combine...going thru town. You see, i didnt have a license to drive the pickup so dad made me drive the combine!!! (and the pickup wasn't quite as hot because it had ac of some sort)

Kids these days are just a bunch of pussies...seriously you should try getting one to work..

Thanks for making me feel old you ass
    smile.gif

should add that i will make sure my kid gets those experiences that i got growing up. unlike most he will be able to drive before he can see over the dash, will own more guns than all of his teachers, know what they are and will have a dirt bike as soon as he can climb on it to ride!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had our first kid 10months ago and i am always asking my mom "did we have that when i was..." I didnt have a car seat...imagine that? It was the responsibility of whoever was driving OR the persons lap you were sitting on to tell you when to hold on or stick their arm out to grab you. A couple times of eating the dash (they were hard then too) you learned.

How long has it been since you have seen a pickup load of kids riding in the back going to the beach or just to the store?

how about working for what you got? I drove farm truck when i was 8 and got pulled over for the first time when i was 10...in a combine...going thru town. You see, i didnt have a license to drive the pickup so dad made me drive the combine!!! (and the pickup wasn't quite as hot because it had ac of some sort)

Kids these days are just a bunch of pussies...seriously you should try getting one to work..

Thanks for making me feel old you ass
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

So true!

Just this morning, I'm in the car behind a school-bus picking up what I would guess were junior-high kids at about 06:30. At EVERY blessed bus-stop, the kids were waiting in a running car - every one without exception. It was a bit cold - about 20F but hardly arctic either! What a spoiled generation - I remember waiting for the bus in ANY kind of weather, with neighbor kids who had to walk 2 miles just to get to the damned bus-top...and this was in New York in the 70's and 80's for F#$k's sake!
    eek.gif

Oh well, time marches on...

Our old phone number was 2172. Another thing I see that I don't understand is why all these parents are always at school. When I was a kid if your mom was at school you were either very sick or your ass was in trouble. And, if your dad came there was no dought about the reason.
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5x5GUY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something that I miss is dialing any phone number (rotary of course) with the same prefix using only the last four numbers. Anyone else do that? </div></div>

That was Mattel electronic football. I wore out/broke the keys on several of those things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fighthard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5x5GUY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something that I miss is dialing any phone number (rotary of course) with the same prefix using only the last four numbers. Anyone else do that? </div></div>

I remember when the phone company had to send a letter to every house and tell the users to start dialing the local 3 digit prefix, not just the last 4 numbers and everyone thought what an inconvenience that was.

I would go back in a heart beat to those days. </div></div>

LOL...4 digit phone numbers. Man those were the days, although the rotary still sucked when some other folks were getting those push button "speed dialer" phones....LOL

Hell we even had a "party line" at one time. That's when your phone line is trunked in with someone elses. I remember picking up the phone several times and hearing the other folks talk, then just hang up and wait for them to finish.

You know, last night I sat staring at my kids and all they have with Christmas looming and thinking about this thread, one I had read earlier in the day and like many of you giggled and said "damn right" they are pussies and have caught myself many times saying the same thing to my wife about the kiddos. I look at the XBox 360, the Wii, the Nintendo DS, the 4 wheeler outside, the designer clothes, custom guns they will never fully comprehend the use of and turn up my nose. I listen to them complain because they have "nothing to do" (which was the ONE thing besides "I am bored" you <span style="font-weight: bold">NEVER</span> told my dad)growing up because there was ALWAYS something to do. So there I sat staring at a tree, with presents under it, a fire in the fire place and realize how lucky I am.

My dad always told me "Son my goal in life is to make you a better man than I. If I have done that then I have left this world in better shape then when I got here and I have done what God and my father have wanted me to do." Dad is a good man, but like man he has his failures and I try not to relive those for him. Dad looks at my kids and just laughs but finds so much joy in them because he realizes that his dream is coming true one day at a time and the stress of his job is being borne by me now for the most part even though he still provides me with great wisdom. Dad was stinking rich compared to mom who was at one time absolutely dirt poor by most's standards who worked every day till her hands bled to make ends meet from sun up to sun down like most of our parents and now she is the principle spoiler for those grandkids and her answer is "I could never give it to you, but I have enough to make sure they will never want." I remember dad graduating college finally while I was in elementary school since he didn't get to finish in the 60's and 70's due to a detour in the Navy, and well mom never finished with a degree but that parchment paper doesn't mean a hill of beans to their success. Now I say all this to bring this point around.

As I sat their last night, I realized yeah my kids have things I never had and do things I never did because maybe at some point my generation decided to add a few toys. As each generation grows so do we and I have to remember that because of what our situation was, and what we wanted and dreams we had and what we worked towards, we have the things we have because of what we had to work with within our time. I believe it is evident that we will either grow or die. We had PONG, and look what we came up with..PS3, XBOX 360,Wii, CPU's and many more technological advances that our parents could never had comprehended. My dad and mom try to keep up but just laugh and shake their heads mostly. Did we have it good, well we thought we did, do they have it easy...we think they do with all of this "crap" but who knows what that 'crap" is going to become in 5, 10..or 20 years because a child found some fascination in it and that fascination becomes a passion and it saves lives, cures disease, it makes yours and my life better as we age. They were good times to us and surely much simpler but I remember gramps saying the same thing to my dad about what we had. They WERE good times to us because they were OUR times and no one elses. Those memories are good or bad because we choose to remember them that way. "Blessed are the ignorant" and blessed we were because we knew not what our futures held but we chose to follow the future and look what we have made. Sure their are some things that have made life less enjoyable (meth and many more) but their are some that have made it worthwhile (viagra for some of you old assholes) LOL but man think what tomorrow holds because we worked our asses off to give our children something that causes a spark that ignites the world for the better. I personally love those memories, but they are mine..my dads are his and it is my responsibility to help those kids have good ones of their own and if they look back and they are happy at some point then I am okay. tomorrow brings a new day and with it new hope and as long as I invest in my kids to leave them to this world better people than I...then I am okay with what sit under the tree this christmas.

To all of you a Merry Christmas and Happy New year and to those of other affiliations or for those without may you find happiness in your lives and I wish you all the best

Great Post... brings back alot of old memories...

Teppo-Ka - Your dad had a great line:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Son my goal in life is to make you a better man than I."</div></div>

I will remember that one. Great.

Let's not forget the vibratory football games. You had little men on this vibrating board and somehow they moved this way and that way. Then, invariably, some little ass wipe would "accidentally" step on the damn thing and create a big dent in the middle of the board.

After that, the only play that would work was the 'dogpile' in the middle of the field..... HAHA