• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you could do it all over again...

Re: If you could do it all over again...

I started with a Savage 10FP .260, but that's not currently being offered. I think the .260 11 FCP-K comes closest, and would be an excellent first LR rifle for the price. If you don't handload, substitute the .308.

I do not subscribe to the buy once, cry once school of optics acquisition. I think that whatever gets you out to the range quickest and cheapest works fine, with uprades intended right from the start when and as knowledge and cash grow to suit our needs. You can't be learning if you can't be shooting, and postponing the process in order to save up money for a super scope is not helping the process.

I have used the Tasco VAR624x42M Vamint/Target scopes for under $100 for 1000yd F Class, with a Ken Farrel 20MOA base, and Burris Signature Zee Rings. Worked well enough that I used the outfit for several years and stopped shooting 1000yd before I ever felt the need for an upgrade.

Damn straight there are better scopes out there, but this one works, and gives you all the time you need to be saving up for that better scope. Meanwhile, you're shooting, learning, and getting better insight into just what your ultimate scope needs to be. When you do get it, the Tasco will work fine on your rimfire trainer, and will also be an accustomed 'hot spare' should you need a quick replacement or loaner for any reason.

Greg

I started out with a Remington SPS Tactical and a plethora of stocks (McM A3, A5, Mcree, AICS) Then I bought a custom gun, changed the stocks a few times (AICS, Sentinel) then I bought an AI, traded it because I wanted a gas gun, sold the gas gun, bought another gas gun, now I am selling the most recent gas gun to go back to an AI.

I like Cpl Snafu, scoffed at the AI prices, but starting over you won't find a better deal in a rifle.

Ive owned guns and optics from most of the big guys on here....SB, Hensoldt, Premier, USO, Leupold, Nightforce, GAP, KMW, AI, Knights. I have spent a pot load of money that I cannot get back and knowing what I know now, I would have just as soon started with an AI AE and SB/Hensoldt and gone on about life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like said earlier ... Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 (no need for a 308 in my opinion) and top it off with decent glass. Have fun shooting with most anything out there. </div></div>

ALWAYS a need for the .308

I'd do the same thing I did before. I'd buy a 700P, top it with a Leupy 4.5-14 LR/T, and shoot it until I developed the skill necessary to maximize that system's potential.

HRF

I put about 4K into a 5R/USO/AICS setup before going with a AW and S&B. If I had it all to do over again, I'd bypass the 5R.

A rifle that needs no improvement is a joy to shoot.

Two scenarios

My son started with a Rem 700 AAC SD 308, Bell Carson stock, Vortex PST scope. After a year of shooting he rebuilt it to a 260 with a Brux barrel, trued bolt and a Vortex Razor EBR2 scope and bottom metal.

My main setup was a Barrett 98B 27" 338 Lapua with a Vortex Razor EBR3, the gun shoots awesome out to extended long ranges.
But I ended up building another, that being a 260. AICS chassis, Stiller action, Brux barrel, Jewel trigger, Vortex Razor EBR2 scope.

We really like the 260s performance and the low recoil management for follow up shots or running the gun on a course, any of the 6.5s would make a good choice
A great starter on the factory side would be the Savage LRP in a 260 or Creed.

oneshot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRJammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have bypassed the full custom route and just purchased an AI. Everything else is second best, at best. </div></div>

Couldn't have said it better my self! I put an AI AW 308 (now barreled in 260) on a no interest for 9 months credit card and paid it off monthly. Best decision I have made hands down! Sold all my customs because they don't come close!

Save the money for an AI. You won't regret it. Although an ai ae mkIII definitely wasn't an option when I was 15, it was worth selling all my shit for I've spent money on since then. An amazing system for sure.

I would still start with a entry level gun (Savage,R700, Tikka) to get a feel for what I really want. I would have got much better optics from the jump over a better rifle. Any of the above rifles will shoot better than most, especially newer shooters. If you can't see it, you aren't going to hit it. After I had a nice optic (Nightforce, USO, Vortex, S&B) and shot the barrel out, I'd start looking at the AIAE MKIIIs.

Edit: Also get into reloading immediately. Get a nice single stage (RCBS RockChucker or alike) and GOOD dies (don't skimp here). Reloading will help you get the best out of any rifle.. and it's zen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mr.derp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How far do you plan on shooting and do you reload? </div></div>

It's not about what I plan to do, but what would you do if you started from scratch knowing what you know now. However, 1000 yards max on the rare chance it's available to me and not until I get comfortable with shooting a particular rifle at longer ranges. </div></div>

Knowing what I know now I would have saved more then your suggested budget and either have bought a Sako TRG or a full custom.

Sako trg or full custom in a 260. One piece at a time has spread the cost but nearly driven me nuts in the process.