• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

if you could only build one !

savagehunter44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
florida
yes , i have to many wants and not enough money. so... if you could only build one gun. would it be, tikka action in 308 or 300 win mag with Mcm a5 stock. or rem 700 in 308 with 700 police stock and m24 barrel contour ? just found another good deal , my friend has a savage model 10 in 308 for sell. so much for a budget build !!

Re: if you could only build one !

This is a very hard question to ask here...Too many different influences and too many same questions being asked time and time again. I'm surprised nobody else has said anything yet.

But just to answer your question. I own 2 best examples out of the 3 choices you listed. A remington 5R which is probably one of the best rifles Remington has to offer, and 2 Tikka T3 Scout CTR in .308 and .223. If I am only allow to have One of these I'd go with the Remington. It has So Many After market supports and choices of parts are endless. All things aside, just the sheer Fun Factor to Build Up and able to modify it any way you want, this alone makes it that much more enjoyable to start with. After all, the actual building process is half the fun.

That being said, Remington does need a lot of things to be replaced and worked on to be a great shooter. However the Tikka is a Great Shooter right out of the Box! It has the best action out of the Three and most likely the Best Accuracy as well. If you just want a single time investment without extensive gunsmithing and messing around the I'd go with the Tikka Hands Down. Just buy it, throw a different stock on it and you're DONE! Great Factory Trigger, Great Factory Action, Great Factory Barrel (Hammer Forged by Sako Finland) that says it all. Good luck chosing.

Buy a DTA SRS and have all in one
wink.gif

Well you didn't say we had to choose from your listed choices so this would be my choice.

Caliber 260 Rem. Excellent ballistics and brass to reload with as well as several factory match rounds to choose from.

Stiller Action. Great track record and already trued with a tac bolt knob and M16 extractor, one less thing you'll have to deal with. Also reasonably priced.

Barrel. Any of the top makers, I'd go with a Schneider SR-60 or Sendero/Varmint 24" to 26". If it's my only rifle I want it to be reasonably light to carry for hunting while still having a contour that won't heat up to quick for bench shooting or matches.

Stock. I have experience with Manners and Mcmillan and I'd get an adjustable cheek piece.

Trigger. Timney again a great track record and resonably price.

DBM. Stiller again as I like it's design and beveled edges for quick reloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a DTA SRS and have all in one
wink.gif
</div></div>

^^^^^+1!!! If you got the $$$!

Only one custom rifle?.....

I would build a 6.5 Creedmoor on a remmy and buy 3,000 rounds. Toss the barrel when it goes and do it again. Why you ask? Awesome accuracy, cheap very accurate factory ammo, and practical range capability. By practical I mean anything inside 800 yds which is plenty far enough. Its a grab and go shooting setup that's competitive with just about anything out to about 800.

of those three id go with the rem700 in the hs stock just because i have one and it has never let me down in the least.

but if i could have ANY gun it would be something like a surgeon action krieger barrel and a mcmillan a4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AI AW or AX and a bag full of barrels.
wink.gif
</div></div>

That is a no brainer. The most reliable and durable action there is.

already have mine, a 24 inch .260 in a manners T4. it didn't even brake the bank.

I'd build a Stiller or Badger action'd 7WSM in a Manners MCS-T2A with the Mini-chassis.

7WSM is as close as you can get to a do-it-all round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AI AW or AX and a bag full of barrels.
wink.gif
</div></div>

That is a no brainer. The most reliable and durable action there is. </div></div>

And the beat goes on.....as good as they get.....

the best of ALL worlds.

If i could only have one?

Easy, AIAW (lefty, unfortunately for me) in .308 Win.
Barrel cut down to 20"

If I only did one thing, I might build a gun; but only if what I wanted to do was so unusual the factories don't see a big enough market to meet the need. Especially Savage, they build a LOT of different rifles.

Tryng to make one gun do different things is like asking a horse to pull a plow and win the Derby. Can't be done. Designs based on compromise do many things, and none of them outstandingly well. Some things, they do outstandingly poorly.

Seriously, modern factory rifles cannot match the work of a good custom builder, but for most shooters, they don't really have to.

The custom work serves at least as much to satisfy vanity as it does to correct genuinely valid accuracy deficits. For a whole lot of us, the factory rifle will nearly always shoot at least as well as the shooter can. That broad admonition may even extend downward far enough to embrace the Steven rifles.

But what I'd do is seldom the norm; and truly, if you want a custom and can pay the tarriff, I say go for it.

Just understand, don't be disappointed. If a custom won't shoot to expectations, it's usually not the rifle's fault; it's really more about the expectations and the skills that accompany them.

Don't be <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> guy.

It may sound like I'm trying to discourage customs; but nobody wants <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> guy as their customer. He's predestined to be a Customer Service Nightmare.

I have one custom rifle. It's built on a Savage action. I am still a good ways short of being skilled beyond its ability to deliver accuracy.

Greg

well i could , get a new 700 rem from wal-mart for $350 my barrel work for about $300 , 700 police stock is bout $325 from midway. or B&C medalist is $275 {closet to 700 police}. could try to find a used tikka t3 , {hard to find around here}. or buy the savage 10 , put a stock on it, scope it & go ! nothing wrong with the stock thats on it, it just dont feel right to me. i just fell in love with the tikka the first time i shot one . wish the varmint was not so much, i would just put a Mcm a5 on it . duh... buy a t3 , shoot it till i save up for barrel work & a stock. i can get a new t3 lite for $595,