• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

If you could only have 1 Bolt action Rifle

Bamf911

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2010
NC, Piedmont Area
What would it be? I have a AR 223 and a AR 6.5 grendel but have been considering getting a decent bolt action preferably in the 2k or less range but I am interested to see peoples opinions.

Re: If you could only have 1 Bolt action Rifle

Right now I only have one centerfire bolt action. It's an .308 LTR. The reason it's my only one is that I had to sell my other two (700P and Mod. 7 both in .223) to help pay for the LTR, NF, and BO rings/base.

I like the one in my sig, but that is over 4 times your budget. I just put a Rem 5R in .308 on layaway, so that would leave about a grand for glass, mounts, bipod, etc.? Definately a .308 though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamf911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would it be? I have a AR 223 and a AR 6.5 grendel but have been considering getting a decent bolt action preferably in the 2k or less range but I am interested to see peoples opinions. </div></div>

If I could have only one bolt gun, it would be my AE MkII. But the whole rig is about 3x your budget.

Now you see why your thread probably isn't going to help you much.

If you turn it around and say I have $2K to spend and I want a bolt gun for (insert use and range requirements here). Then you may get some info that will help you decide what is right for YOU, because I have already decided what is right for ME.

My new fave bolt action is an RPA Quadlite action with a 24 inch Border Barrel in an AICS stock.

It will outshoot me any day of the week and I got my best ever group with it on my second range day of shooting it.Five shots into a one inch group at 200 yards.

A lot of the guys here may say .5 MOA, so what? But for me, thats pretty darn good!

Theres a saying on your side of The Pond: Buy once, cry once. Well its true. This thing cost me big bucks but its worth every penny. Splash out some extra if you can and go for a custom action rather than a production action that has been trued.

Good luck and happy shooting!

.308 Surgeon 591 with my Huber Trigger....
smile.gif

I could really go for the new XM2010

2K for the rifle and glass, or just for the rifle? I am a minimalist when it comes to rifles. I can shoot my $500 personal rifles as well as I can shoot my $3000 work rifles. Both are just under .5MOA.

Glass though is another story. I prefer quality glass, and that can go well above your 2K limit rather quickly.

Think about what your rifle/glass breakdown is and we will be able to better give opinions. As you can see, many here aren't shooting cheap setups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bamf911 said:
What would it be? I have a AR 223 and a AR 6.5 grendel but have been considering getting a decent bolt action preferably in the 2k or less range but I am interested to see peoples opinions. </div></div>

If I could have only one bolt gun, it would be my AE MkII. But the whole rig is about 3x your budget.

Now you see why your thread probably isn't going to help you much.

If you turn it around and say I have $2K to spend and I want a bolt gun for (insert use and range requirements here). Then you may get some info that will help you decide what is right for YOU, because I have already decided what is right for ME. [/quote

Same here. I have a custom Rem 700 with an AICS and Rock Creek barrel, issued a Rem 700P and then a Rem 700 LTR. My favourite for accuracy and reliability and if I could only have one is my AI AE MKII.My custom Rem failed in conditions where the AI worked like a charm. Also the detachable mag system in my opinion is the best out there.

One more thing. I see that you are in NC. If you would like to try out one of my setups, just send me a pm.

What is your purpose for the rifle? That's really a key part of adequately answering your question.

FN SPR A5

absolute fucking hammer out of the box for 2k.

People bring home trophies with them, they're chrome lined (excellent bore life), CRF, and absolute rock solid as far as the action goes.

DTA SRS cuz that gives me 4 calibers, lol.

if i couldn't have that i would want a AIAW

AIAW .308.. but the AX is gloriously ugly.. so maybe one of those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I could have only one bolt gun, it would be my AE MkII. But the whole rig is about 3x your budget. </div></div>

For just the AIAE you are at about 3K out the door (optics not included).. so not that far off his budget.. and come on .. what a extra buck or two :)

I will take my remington 700 5r milspec in 308....tack driver and I will put the 1000 left on black in vagas and hope to double up so I can get a good scope.

That's a tough question... but for the price I'm a fan of my sps tactical .308... could make it pretty awesome for $2 grand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sackett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a tough question... but for the price I'm a fan of my sps tactical .308... could make it pretty awesome for $2 grand. </div></div>

im in mine $2200 and its good enough for me. id have to call it a budget rifle though considering there are scopes that are twice that by themselves.

Remington 700 in .308Win. With iron sights, for emergency in case scope is damaged. Parts available (factory and aftermarket) and NATO rounds are readily accessible in good times or bad....

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zk5nwJYSxVI&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zk5nwJYSxVI&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I am in NC also and planning to go shooting this weekend if you care to join me. I can bring out 3 custom bolt rifles. All are different calibers, actions, triggers, stock manufacturers, and scope makes. Even have one with a muzzle brake. Point being it would be a good way for you to see for yourself what is best for your purposes and most liked by you.

LMK

If I could only have one I'd make it my Ruger .264 Winmag with the boat paddle stock. It does everything I could need a bolt gun to do.

My GA Precision 308 w/ a FFP NH-1 4-16X56 Hensoldt. It's what I envisioned a precision rifle should be

<span style="font-weight: bold">GAP</span>
Trued Rem 700 SA 308
Side Bolt Release

Jewel Trigger

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bartlein</span>
Threaded 20" 1/10 twist 5R barrel

<span style="font-weight: bold">Badger Ord</span>
Heavy Recoil Lug
EFR
M5 Mag system
bolt knob
ACI
USMC 34mm low rings

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mcmillan </span>
glass bedded fully adjustable A5

everything is cerakoated and the scope soon will be

IMGP5721.jpg

Thanks for the info. I was thinking 2k for just the rifle. I will try and get in contact with some of you fellows in NC. I am really looking along the lines of a quality hunting rifle that will kill most anything in the lower 48 states. On Average I am not going to have a clear line of sight farther then 500 or 600 yards so I don't need a 1000 yard gun. I haven't been but I have all ways wanted to go to the midwest and do a hunt. So something that is not gonna kill you humping it be a plus.

I appreciate it
Henry

Take those guys up on their offer to go try some of their setups! That will really get you on the right track. The worst thing you could do is make a $2000 mistake on a guess... Good luck and good shootin!

I'd get a 700 SPS in 7mm Rem Mag and modify from there. 2k can build a helluva 700

My 6.5 match gun, cant go wrong with a well build Rem 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobearsyet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd get a 700 SPS in 7mm Rem Mag and modify from there. 2k can build a helluva 700 </div></div>

My 1 rifle would be the one I have on order.

GAP Templar Action (.308)
20" PSS/Varmint contour barrel 1:11.25 threaded and fluted with protector
Badger DMag
HS Precision PST 083 tactical thumbhole

Is a great all-around round (more than adequate for securing any game in my area, and ammo can be found anywhere. Components are everywhere.

But in response to the above comment:

Yes.

Buy the cheapest Remington 700 you can (~$500 - maybe less?) and send that bitch in to GAP to get reworked.

True/blueprint the action ($315)
rebarrel ($350)
whatever bottom metal you want (up to $345)
Whatever stock you want

Depending on how fancy you want to be with the stock, a build like this would definitely cost you under 2K. If you went extravagant on the stock (a fully loaded Manners T5A for instance), you would go over.

And that would be a great rifle.

Sig Blaser Tactical rifle.User switchable barrels and bolt for caliber changing.Fully adjustable stock.Lifetime warranty.I'd have one if they weren't 5 grand;/ So instead got my 700 and love it too death.Goodshootin'

~Reagan

+1 TRG 22

I have one and live in the piedmont area of NC. Your welcome to try it. I will be at the range this weekend.

My favorite rifle is my AE MKII and it's by far the best rifle I have shot. I'm one of those people that hates to second guess a decision so I just end up getting the best. In the 2k range I would get a Rem 700 and trick it out to your liking. As much as the Accuracy International rifles are amazing they are heavy as heck not something you want to hump around.

Well it seems as if you are looking for a hunting rifle that doesn’t need to be modified as well as light in weight and can shoot elk size animals at 500yds.. Well if you think a 308 is going to do it, guess again...Maybe after you shoot a few times in the head or spine or you shoot it a few other times elsewhere , you better sneak up to it and smack it with the rifle then it will go down. No one i know elk hunts with a 308 and expect to drop it at 500yds...

Seriously speaking, any out of the box Savage in 30-06 or 300 win mag even 300wsm will drop anything in the lower 48 with ZERO problem at 500yds.You can pick up a Savage 116 Stainless under $500 (Savage will guarantee 1.5” or better at 100yds)and put a Zeiss 3-9x50 for $450. So all the Remy 700 folks my say differ.. &#61514; (their guarantee is call INDUSTRY STANDARDS = 3” or better, just called them, they will not discuss it, more excuses I ever heard in my life).. So ask around see what people say about Savage. $ for $, no comparison.

So if it’s just for hunting that is light = sporter barrel and some non-competition target shooting or varmint hunting your set here. But if you expect more than that from ANY factory rifle under say $400-500, it’s not going to happen. So you might want to spend that 2K+ for a custom rifle and 1500 for good glass and shoot it 50 times and put it in the closet..

Gotta realize what you want the rifle to do and not what you hope it can do. It’s a hunting rifle, no need to have 1hole in the paper at 250yds when you’re trying to hit an elk at 400yds, when the kill zone on an elk in easily 16”x16”..

Don’t waste your money on some custom gun unless you want it rather then you think you need it… Best of luck to ya..

While well above your budget, for ME, the "one rifle" is my AIAW. I shoot it well, and it performs in any and all conditions. I am confident I could take it to hell and back without failure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamf911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would it be? I have a AR 223 and a AR 6.5 grendel but have been considering getting a decent bolt action preferably in the 2k or less range but I am interested to see peoples opinions. </div></div>

I guess you want one that will do anything from Comps to hunting?

I'm just glad I don't have to choose!
(My GAP BAdger M2008 in 308)
No wait! My......... oh now my head hurts!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamf911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a decent bolt action preferably in the 2k or less range </div></div>

With or without optics? Purpose of rifle?

Any well done bolt action in 308 with a great barrel.
A nicely bedded Mcmillan or Manners stock .
A sweet crisp trigger.

Then add a good 20MOA base
Some nicely made rings.
The scope of your choosing, preferably with some very sweet glass.
Some tailored handloads and a sunny 70 degree day with no humidity and no wind.
<span style="color: #990000"> <span style="font-weight: bold">Crap!!!!! </span> </span>
It's still winter!
....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Some tailored handloads and a sunny 70 degree day with no humidity and no wind.
<span style="color: #990000"> <span style="font-weight: bold">Crap!!!!! </span> </span>
It's still winter!
....SmokeRolls </div></div>

72 for a high tomorrow, light and variable on the wind.....

I agree on the solid 308, built as you mentioned (but you described my 308 of course).