• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you could only have one AR platform

This thread was actually good reading, with some well thought out replies, until Regalkismet showed up ...

I probably would grab my MATEN .308. For me it's the perfect weight coming in at 10 3/4 pounds loaded, 20" barrel and a 1-6 VX-6 scope. It's proven reliable in all the Midwest conditions I've used it in, and fits me well. I do love my 14.5" lightweight middy Daniel Defense build, but just wouldn't have confidence in 223 doing all I'd need it to do. And as much as I love my 6.8's, my meager 1500 round stockpile would run out quickly. If ammo cost and availability concerns were moot however, I'd probably go with my 16" Noveske 6.8 build.

Too funny... Yet I'm still here and you mention me but don't say what part of what I said wasn't accurate.

Last edited:
I'm not even gonna attempt to retort most of what's in your reply, as it is asinine, but actually humorous that it took you a whole two days to write it ..I will say your arguments just make you look like a dolt. Everyone can read what I wrote and what you wrote and make a judgment.... FYI.... When you make statements saying one system is better than another and list unsubstantiated reasons as to why expect for people to call you on it.... Saying your not trying to start a debate is bs.... Making those statements is welcoming a debate. Ohh and show me where in my statement that I said I chose my 6.8 for a shtf scenario? Fact is I didn't and I'm not sure I would as I have plenty of Ar's in a variety of calibers, a shtf scenario was not mentioned on the op.... Just shows again that you have no idea what you are talking about or have an issue with reading comprehension.

First time poster. I am enjoying this site until I got to your trash talking. For a person that likes to keep this website respectful and running positively, you sure took this thread to shit in short order. It also appears you had to correct each post numerous times because you just couldn't convey your thoughts correctly with just one attempt. Commense would tell you that if you had been more judicious in your judgement you wouldn't have to to make so many corrections. I would implore you to reconsider your choice of path, because the current one you are on is leading to a deadend.

Just my opinion and a thought. I will now get out of your sandbox.

Regards,
M3MVE90

First time poster. I am enjoying this site until I got to your trash talking. For a person that likes to keep this website respectful and running positively, you sure took this thread to shit in short order. It also appears you had to correct each post numerous times because you just couldn't convey your thoughts correctly with just one attempt. Commense would tell you that if you had been more judicious in your judgement you wouldn't have to to make so many corrections. I would implore you to reconsider your choice of path, because the current one you are on is leading to a deadend.

Just my opinion and a thought. I will now get out of your sandbox.

Regards,
M3MVE90

First post Huh? Pretty fishy... Probably the same newbie under another name or one of his buds.... Nice try though... But I'm not as foolish as you. Edit just for you... Commense Huh? Maybe you need to try to edit.... Lmfao....Not a very good try HOMOTEAM or do you prefer M3MVE90?

Last edited:
Just one? That would suck but, if I had that only choice I would go with this.

Noveske Afghan, suppressed, with the 1.5 x5 Leupold, a backup Aimpoint and as many loaded mags as I could carry.

6.5 Grendel. It may not be the best in any one category but will preformed better then most in all applications.

Just one? That would suck but, if I had that only choice I would go with this.

Noveske Afghan, suppressed, with the 1.5 x5 Leupold, a backup Aimpoint and as many loaded mags as I could carry.

Great Minds Think alike! About like what mine will be. And YES Lots and LOTS of Magazines and Ammo!

My RECCE Setup:
BCM BFH 16" Upper
WMD NiBX BCG
MAG Light Weight Lower
Burris XTR 1-4 Gen Two Scope in Burris P.E.P.R QD Mount
Aimpoint Comp M2 2 MOA Red Dot as Backup
Surefire MB566 for a Can on the way.

2s6ppj6.jpg

Last edited:
This will get me Flamed
I would take my new Tavor :)
Lmt great - with multiple uppers - but heavy
LR-308 setup for very long range
But just feel think the Tavor will be a great SHTF along with a 1911
MTK-John

If you can only afford one, then that will have to do but it's nice to have more one will not do it all no matter how much you tell your self it will, it will not.

If I could only have one it would be a 45-70, long or short

Great Minds Think alike! About like what mine will be. And YES Lots and LOTS of Magazines and Ammo!

My RECCE Setup:
BCM BFH 16" Upper
WMD NiBX BCG
MAG Light Weight Lower
Burris XTR 1-4 Gen Two Scope in Burris P.E.P.R QD Mount
Aimpoint Comp M2 2 MOA Red Dot as Backup
Surefire MB566 for a Can on the way.

2s6ppj6.jpg

Nice RECCE setup. My shooting buddy has the Burris XTR and really likes it.

Here's another pic of mine after a wet and muddy day at a SPR class.

If you can only afford one, then that will have to do but it's nice to have more one will not do it all no matter how much you tell your self it will, it will not.

Can't disagree with this but, the RECCE configuration is about is close as you can come IMO.

Last edited:
This is brilliant!

What, exactly, are you asking? AR10 vs AR15 vs LR308 "platform"? Or simply what caliber upper? Or brand? Just to shoot? For SHTF?

I don't think there's a one-gun-does-it-all solution. I have an LMT slick, SCAR 17, and other fun stuff and the "just one" really depends on what is most important to you.

Just to have and to shoot then a .223 is your starting point -- light, cheap (relatively) ammo, versatile

The LMT is too heavy to hump if I were carrying my life on my back with the coming of TEOTWAWKI, but sheltering in place and keeping the marauders at bay it would be outstanding. Get barrels in .260, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .243.

The SCAR is light, relatively, but ammo is heavy. What do you think you'll be shooting? If it is targets go back to the .223. Are you talking SHTF? Many worry about shooting game, but during the Great Depression game like deer were almost wiped out in short order. In a SHTF situation with today's population you won't have to worry about shooting anything bigger than a rabbit or squirrel in short order.

Unless you're worried about bipeds. If you have no base of operations resupply would be a concern. People will buy out .223 and .308 to be sure, but those same people will have it on hand if it comes to that. If you have a base from which to resupply but you're venturing forth to search for Kevin Costner with a mail bag I think the Grendel and 6.8 SPC are very attractive. The Noveske 14.5" Afghan would be a great choice IMO if you were in a wooded area. A Grendel would be great if you lived in a wide open area.

If you're just asking about brands, everyone has their favourites, but if I could have only one I would spring for one of the higher priced options with a stellar reputation.

I have a splitting headache so I've likely not thought of everything, moreover, I certainly don't know everything. Hopefully you get enough information to make a decision that is best for you. Ideally, of course, none of us should have even bothered without first giving us more information. It's not too late to narrow it down.

If you're just trolling for action because you're bored, no worries. I don't often bother with threads and I'm probably due for my quarterly contribution. Perhaps someone who really needs information will find something useful in all the posts.

If I could only have one, my first question would be why. Hearing crickets, I have to assume I have none, now. If you are not growing, you are dying. So my short answer would be more, negating the limit of one.

So which is first? Start with my hands. That costs no money. If I lose my hands, I have bigger problems. Train the mind and body first. Then start looking for "levers".

Today, I would start with a Remington 700 ADL w/ Scope. I would have to stretch beyond the 770. I would take what ever caliber I could get, with a preference for the commonly available. I am thinking .308, .30-06, or even 5.56mm.

With that model, I could feed myself. With only one gun, and no logistics, I would be keeping a low profile. Only after I had acquired a support system would I take a semi-auto. Logistics comes after honor, loyalty, and love. Semi's are empty w/o a pipeline to keep them fed.

As for my favorite, I would take my LWRC M6A2. I have many magazines, an EO-Tech, and a SureFire torch. The barrel can handle the bigger bullets. I have a POF P308, and a full reloading kit. I have spent months of hours cleaning carbon out of DI M-16s, and love that I don't have to on piston ARs. The P308 is great for ranges beyond 200m. For closer ranges, the situational awareness afforded by keeping both eyes open precludes a scope.

My 2¢

Thanks for the compliment Scoby. Eventually I will be sourcing out some Noveske Barreled builds too! Which SPR class did you took? Too bad as big of a gun state as Texas is we're very limited with good classes offered around here for some reason.

Here's a few more of my rifle from the other side. It's about as Black and Black Rifle gets except for the WMD NiB BCG.

2yobvy1.jpg

javr04.jpg

11qogaf.jpg

Nice RECCE setup. My shooting buddy has the Burris XTR and really likes it.

Here's another pic of mine after a wet and muddy day at a SPR class.

Can't disagree with this but, the RECCE configuration is about is close as you can come IMO.

I'm a dinosaur that still values 5.56 carbines and 308 bolt guns.

I would have to insist upon a quality CHF barrel from a reputable mfg (FN, HK, or whoever does BCM's barrels) in either 14.5" or 16". Granted, not as handy as an SBR indoors, they have so much more to give at distance. Heck, even my 14.5" HK uppers will hang with with purpose-built SPR's in terms of accuracy (with appropriate ammo of course).

I would also insist upon a 1-4x Short Dot LE with #7 reticle. I like the 2nd focal plane Short Dots and how the dot always stays small and the reticle is usable at the low end. IMHO, it is the most versatile option for a 5.56 carbine.

I could certainly live out the rest of my days with any one of my AR's, but my HK/S&B combo would probably get the nod. Here's a pic of the upper from a gear review I did a while back (on bag):