• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes IF YOU HAD $1,000 TO SPEND? WHAT WOULD YOU BUY?

10thMTN155

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2010
Wardak, Province, Afghanistan
I am looking for a good scope to put on top of either a Rem M700 XCR, or possibly a Browning A Bolt Eclipse or Target model. I am looking to spend around 1,000, or maybe one or two hundred dollars more. Thanks.

Re: IF YOU HAD $1,000 TO SPEND? WHAT WOULD YOU BUY?

I would personally hold out for a quality, used Nightforce scope for the $1200 or less budget. There have been several very nice scopes for sale here in the PX for what you've set aside for your optics budget...both 3.5-15 and 5.5-22 models.

Aside from going with a quality used NF, it might help to know what specific features (incl. magnification range, reticle, FFP/SFP, etc., etc., etc.) that you want/need on your scope before people go off randomly recommending things that don't necessarily work for you.

I recently placed an order (it's on back order) for a 6-24X-50mm Vortex Viper PST FFP MRAD. Although I strongly considered the same in 4-16X.

However we really need more details. If you want to shoot deer at 10 yards we're going to recommend VERY different scopes than if you want to shoot the smallest groups possible at 2000 yards.

Nightforce in the FS section.

Or a countersniper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10thMTNFSO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a good scope to put on top of either a Rem M700 XCR, or possibly a Browning A Bolt Eclipse or Target model. I am looking to spend around 1,000, or maybe one or two hundred dollars more. Thanks. </div></div>

Used NF!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently placed an order (it's on back order) for a 6-24X-50mm Vortex Viper PST FFP MRAD. Although I strongly considered the same in 4-16X.

However we really need more details. If you want to shoot deer at 10 yards we're going to recommend VERY different scopes than if you want to shoot the smallest groups possible at 2000 yards. </div></div>
just ordered the pst in 4-16 a few weeks ago. cant wait for mine.

USO ST10 should not be overlooked....
smile.gif

Damn, I apologize. I am building a Bean Field Gun, in .300 Winnie. I am still torn between the XCR Tactical, with a thumbhole stock or the Browning Eclipse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sumbeach75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently placed an order (it's on back order) for a 6-24X-50mm Vortex Viper PST FFP MRAD. Although I strongly considered the same in 4-16X.

However we really need more details. If you want to shoot deer at 10 yards we're going to recommend VERY different scopes than if you want to shoot the smallest groups possible at 2000 yards. </div></div>
just ordered the pst in 4-16 a few weeks ago. cant wait for mine. </div></div>

Neither can I. I've got a dimondback in the mail to hold me over till my real scope gets here.
laugh.gif

It would depend on what the gun is chambered in but most likely something used from IOR.

+1 for SWFA 10x42HD, Great glass, great company...spend the rest of your 1K on ammo

Bushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustments First Focal Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle Matte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ say that 5 times really fast! </div></div>
Bushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustments First Focal Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle MatteBushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustments First Focal Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle MatteBushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustments First Focal Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle MatteBushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustments First Focal Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle MatteBushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustments First Focal Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle Matte
wink.gif

Used Leupold MK4 on the for sale section. You can find one under 1K.

If it's a gun/scope combination you plan to keep for a long time, my choice would be for a new Leupold. I would go for at least a VX-3 model or Mark 4. Again, it depends on the gun's chambering and what distances you plan to shoot. Someone mentioned a used Nightforce, which is fine if you can find one, but there is some comfort in having a new scope with full factory warranty that will certainly last longer than my lifetime!

George P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustments First Focal Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle Matte</div></div>

+1

I would get Bad Ass Glass for 1K.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a vortex viper pst just under 1k </div></div>

+1, the PST's have everything you could want.

Used NF in the classified. If you change your mind you can turn it around without losing much $$.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would personally hold out for a quality, used Nightforce scope for the $1200 or less budget. There have been several very nice scopes for sale here in the PX for what you've set aside for your optics budget...both 3.5-15 and 5.5-22 models.

Aside from going with a quality used NF, it might help to know what specific features (incl. magnification range, reticle, FFP/SFP, etc., etc., etc.) that you want/need on your scope before people go off randomly recommending things that don't necessarily work for you.</div></div>

+1 on this. I've learned I'm better off saving and buying quality the first time around. Saves money in the long run too. NightForce is my drug of choice.