• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

If you had to do it over again

chad cochran

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2012
Woodbridge, Virginia
I had a GAP 308 rifle built last year. I built the rifle to shoot Ftr and hunt medium to big game. It looks like the Thunder Ranch except it has a Templar hunter action, 20" barrel and Badger M4 bottom metal. It wears a USO SN3 1.8x10 EREK with GAP reticle (illum). My question is, if you had to do it all over again, what equipment would you go with to shoot Ftr and to hunt? Please include why? Also, what courses would you want to attend to learn more about precision shooting?

I have swarovski binnos, spotter and tripod.

Re: If you had to do it over again

I'll play. I've only shot F T/R a few times and will start shooting some local FPR matches starting next week. I hunted with it last season and will continue to do so.

I'm still running my first setup:

DPMS SASS wearing an HDMR.
- been very happy with this setup. Rifle outshoots me 10 times out of 10 and i've been able to print some .5-.8 inch 5 round groups with handloads so that's about the extent of my personal skill at the moment. Scope has done great for me in all applications i've given it so far. 1-2 times while hunting on low mag i kinda would've liked some illum, but 99% of the time i don't even think about it.

I started reading everything i could about precision shooting (as well as reloading). Then i picked up the Magpul Art of Precision and gleaned a few tidbits/tricks/ideas from that. I plan on attending the Rifles Only Prec. 1&2 the first quarter of 2013.

I'd change my reloading bench, I bought a starter kit. Now I don't use any of it exept the press.

Go to the reloading section on this site, tons of info.

I'll send you a pm on what I don't use anymore and what I've learned the hard way.