• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you had to lug around one rifle for distances..

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
What one all-around use rifle would you grab knowing you would have to pack it long distances on your back/shoulder.. yet still perform when need be? Uses could be from protection to hunting. Noticed all my bolt rifles are heavy buggers for long hauls on the shoulder.. and what you guys like on the lighter side.

Hawk.

Re: If you had to lug around one rifle for distances..

AR 10 20" barrell. Decently light gun with good stopping and hunting power.

In the terrain I live in now i would just grab the 20" AR15. The game is small enough a .223 will put it down, and I can haul the AR a long way. If I needed to take a shot more than 500 yards away, I really screwed up. Some type of 1-4x optic would be nice, but irons work fine.

My 16" AR feels like a toy after porting around the 15# bolt rifle. Its just aluminum/plastic/carbon fiber with a hint of stainless steel.

Nobody should be surprised, thats what they were designed for. Now making a tactical christmas tree out of one with all the trimmings might dampen that notion.

edit: oh ya, its accurate to a fault and I've yet to see a misfire after the first 20 rounds through it. BUIS to 200y might as well be point blank.

My 16" AR-15 for sure. Light and accurate as hell. Shot two pigs last night in front of the house with it. Wish I would have killed a few more though.

POF in 308 20" barrel.

I like the AR but I really am not fond of taking larger game with a 5.56 cal rifle.

Why not a Winchester Feather weight in .308 or larger??? Very light and a over all great rifle. I might suggest that you pack the rifle and carry a pistol as a back up.

I am partial to bolt actions the rifle i keep going back to is my M700 in 375 H&H it shoots well and when you shoot some thing with it your target knows its been hit hard. However if i am hiking or doing other things that don't require long range shooting i carry a Ruger blackhawk in 45 LC with 300 gr cast bullets.

What are the possible tasks I need to perform? If I'm in thick brush hunting deer or black bear, then it's a Marlin 336. If I need to reach out and touch someone it's my Howa 1500. Need more info.

I find the weight of my bolts don't bother me given the fact that they are reliable and accurate, so I just keep on truckin' with the heavy weight.

easy, not a rifle, but it's a shotgun.

from chipmunks to bear, self protection to hunting, lethal to non lethal - just by cycling the action once and putting in a different shell.

light weight too, hell you can even carry around a spare shorter / longer barrel if you wish.

870 remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What one all-around use rifle would you grab knowing you would have to pack it long distances on your back/shoulder.. yet still perform when need be? Uses could be from protection to hunting. Noticed all my bolt rifles are heavy buggers for long hauls on the shoulder.. and what you guys like on the lighter side.

Hawk.</div></div>

Any number that I've got:

5.56 AR 16" barrel-heavy for it's size but light overall. (7 lbs.)
.243 with Hogue lt. stock, (7 lbs w/ lt. scope)
6mm Rem with lt. Beech stock (6.65 lbs.w/ 10x scope)
6.5 Gendel-mostly for the light rounds. The barrel and upper are heavy. (10.2 lbs with scope)
6.5 Swede, CZ 550, Very, very accurate (7.3 lbs w/scope)
7x57 on a Mexican 1910 (1933) 1-12" twist, slams 154 SST's as far as you want to go with a hunting rifle.
My Stevens 7mm-08, if I configured it back to original (7.1 lbs)
Zastava (Yugo) Mk X 30-06
Mauser M96 30-06
My cut down 8x57 Yugo M48A and M48BO (6.8 and 7.1 w/scope)
9.3x62 Husqvarna Beech stock 5.8 lbs. open sights (painful, but effective)

Wouldn't be a rifle.
Same weight, but smaller package.
More HP than .556, but less rounds.

Usable for hunting without going deaf!

Make first shot count.
Ya won't feel the recoil.

TC

How much ammo do you need? If it's months...a .22lr. If it's a couple days and not much shooting then a 18" LTR style Rem700 would be nice (put a USO on to double as a hammer/club tool)

Not knowing anything else, I'd probably go with my AR15 - 20" NM A2. Can carry a good bit of .223, irons aren't likely to break, and I'm more comfortable dialing in with those than any scope I have.

I'd have to grab my C.Sharps 45-120 with 600gr paper patched bullet. Taken rabbits to elk with rifle,and wouldn't hesitate to take a shot on anything that walks this planet.Also makes one hell of a long range target rifle too.

I would grab a 7mm-08 bolt gun with a stainless sporter weight barrel. Moderate recoil, can down almost any animal, weight about 7 lbs. plus scope.

Ammo is moderate in weight. Also has better ballistics than .308, with similar stopping power. However if the animals, especially predators, were small I would probably downgrade to a .223. I would still stick with a bolt action, easier to clean, simpler, etc.

I will retract my posts if this turns into a SHTF thread...

I just wanted to say having hiked 15 miles in a day before, I hated anything that weighed anything by the end of the day, so a 7# AR would be more welcome than a 15# 700.

Since those are my only 2 rifles, my choice was simple and not motivated by "Katrina" paranoia.

For hiking long distances/small game hunting I would say my 6.8 SPC AR decked out in lightweight magpul gear. Able to fend off coyotes/cougars, and take down deer and other animals.

My general purpose 30-06. 20" sporter bbl, 2.5-8X Leup with M1 turrets in Talley LWs, McMillan BDL handle. 8.5 lbs fully dressed. Not a featherweight, but good all-arounder.

IMG_1863.jpg

Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifle concept postulates a light, portable carbine with low power scope capable of hits to 400yd.

Montana Marine's rifle above is fairly close, though wired up backwards, and '06 isn't for quiche eaters like me. .260, .308, maybe one of the short mediums.

Im going to have to go with something tired and true, something I know is going to go "BOOM" when it needs to and stop whatever it may need too. While I like my 16" AR, I wouldn't want to or have the resources to keep it as clean as it should be, or deal with a swelled round (jam), dirty round (Jam), bent mag (Jam),........I think you can see where this is going....... Now as for my M700 sps Varmint in 308, I like the cartridge, accuracy outstanding, weight though a little ruff, and sorry but as dependable it may be, most were not built to with stand survival conditions, meaning I need to use this as a walking stick/support for my body weight at some point, or I may need to get out of this situation in a hurry and rifle care is second to surviving this, what ever it may be. So my choice would be my trust Yugo Mauser M48 and heres why......

Iron sites - never fog, always on call, mostly never shift zero, hooded front site, adjustable to 1000 meters

Accuracy - Fully guarded barrel, nothing getting between it and stock and shifting zero, good to around 200yrds (realistically), thick barrel can take good abuse and never move, thick as well weather has very little change in zero because of all around design stock and barrel are practically one all the time

*Dependability* - no little parts in/on bolt to wear out and not eject, rounds dont have to be precisely place for everything to function the way it should just slam the bolt fwd and do the deed, enough play in parts to allow for freedom of movement in soiled conditions, Ammo can take some good abuse and still be ready to roll, stock well constructed w/ steel but plate for "WHAKEN" stuff, trigger assy beefy as well as safe, safety as well,

Others - No mags but the weapon can be loaded w/stripper clips making quick reloads, good all around round, built in cleaning rod so you dont have to carry it somewhere else, short carbine size, weights not bad but not too good, dependable sling attachment, cleaning and take down are a snap as well as not a necessity all the time

Just my opinions I think in a real "survival" condition I wouldnt take anything lesser
IM000757.jpg

Kind of a vague question.

If I'm going hiking around the ranch and I'm not particularly hunting something then I usually carry my SKS. Great for rattlers, varmints, predators, or whatever you come across.

If I was hiking long distances to hunt a mulie or something like that I would take my Tikka T3 300WSM...light weight, accurate, and deadly.

If I was hiking and knew that I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO MAKE a longer shot, I would carry my GAP .308, even though it's a heavy bastard!

There ain't nothing in TEXAS I can't kill with my 1-7 twist AR15 slinging 77's, its all about shot placement.

i have no problem carrying my 18 pound 308 on any distance. i have a blackhawk drag bag that sets up like a backpack and is a dream for the long distance walks or hikes. note without the blackhawk carry it would royally suck!! LOL

The funny part is the last couple of times I went walking in the woods, I took the AK.

It's compact. Lightweight. Reliable and has some decent energy. Not exactly a precision weapon though and I greatly prefer the ergonomics and sights of the AR.

First thought would be my 16" AR just because. But on second thought my 30-06 Browning A-bolt in Stainless with a synthetic stock that I use for deer hunting is about the most convenient rifle to carry on long hikes and trips in the woods. The 2.5-8.5x Leupold is real nice on it too.

For a walking rifle with no specific objective in mind, I would tote my Steyr Scout. It is light, short, and accomplishes all of the objectives Jeff Cooper laid out. My only gripe is that you can't load it from stripper clips or even top off the magazine due to the SBS action design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kimber Montana 7mm WSM </div></div>

+1 on Kimber Montana, although mine is in 270 win.
SUper light, sub MOA, and rock solid. 270 large enough for almost any animal, and a great cartridge. did I mention how light these things are?

Browning Mountain TI in 308. 5 1/2 lbs. I've backpacked a LOT. If you are going to carry it all day long, you want it to be light (doesnt matter what it is, it should be LIGHT). Browning Mountain TI will shoot just fine. Handloaded 1" MOA. Ive shot mine out to 900 yards. Suggest a muzzle brake, not so much for kick but to counter the flip and put some weight out there. But, hmm, maybe not, just keep it stock, light and put a Leupold extra light scope on it. Cats.

In combat, I carried an M14 around, 13 months worth. It was a basic part of me and never failed me.

Forget about weight. Once you get past the fact that you have what you have, whatever it weighs will become immaterial. What's important is that you bring enough gun to the gunfight. IMHO, I care not what others may think, my M-14 brought me home alive, and yes, it was a heavy bugger. When I had to shoot back, it felt like a feather...

The M-14 and Garand were not just made to work, they were made to be a main battle rifle, to be lugged around 'for the duration' by a hayseed kid with a high school education and a bad attitude toward organized grabass in general.

Me, if I was leavin' home to fight for my life and my country, I'd take my Garand; no doubts, no arguments. Never mess with a man and his Garand. He'll settle your hash and the next guy's, too. Body armor is probably not even an issue.

Greg

I carried the m4 in Afghanistan and loved it, but i would stick with a good R700 in .308 25" barrel any day, bullet isnt pushed around as much by wind and it still has the range to reach out and touch somebody...errr any animal that you would need.

my SPR MK12 MOD 0, light, accurate, scoped, ergonomic, accurate, rugged, dead sexy, think thats it

Depends on where I am at and how long I will be out. If we are talking about a very long time out, I would be tempted to take a .22lr. The rifle/pistol would not be as heavy as a centerfire, and possibly more importantly neither would the ammo. I could pack 500 rounds of 22 ammo no problem. I can't say the same for a 30-06.