• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes If you only had $400-$500 to spend on optics?

jasonZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
independence, kansas 67301
Ok, well this is way below you guy's fund range, I know. I'm gonna ask anyways! If you only had $400-$500 to spend on a rifle scope to put on top of a Savage LA in 7Rem Mag for hunting and some bench/target shooting. Out to probably no more then 600yds, if I'm lucky. Would you go with a Falcon Menace, Vortex Viper, Wotac, or ?. I'm sure this has been asked before and I apologize. Just would like to spend what money I have in the best possible manner.

I'm leaning towards the Viper, but all the PST stuff that came up in the search has me wondering. Mainly do to the issues that people have reported. I've also heard bad things about the Menace, even though it is FFP. The wotac gets mostly good reviews and from what I hear the customer service is great there.

If I'm missing a brand that is comparable in price, features, and quality then please fill me in. Thank you for your time, those of you who read and respond meaningfully.

Re: If you only had $400-$500 to spend on optics?

check out the SWFA super snipers. 10X fixed or 3-9 variable. Thats just another to heavily consider.

Get a Falcon 5.5-25x. I have one and its been awesome out to 1K on a Rem 700 .308. Probably have 2000 rounds on it and its still GTG. Optics quality for the price is surprising. Its not a NF or S&B - but for the $$, I have zero complaints and its actually exceeded my expectations.

I needed a scope in that price range a short time ago. After pestering everyone here who would answer me, and a lot of reading and researching elevation adjustments, etc. I decided on a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44.
It is a bright clear scope and does everything I need it to do. It is a SFP, but that isn't a problem for me.
I had thought about a fixed power SS scope but I tend to use a scope on a higher setting. If I do need a 10x scope all I have to do is dial mine down.
The Viper has very good glass, good clicks when adjusting, and has nothing but good reviews as far as I have been able to find.
In your price range I think the Viper is the best choice, especially when you factor in their outstanding customer service.

Jim

Falcon Menance or Super Sniper depending on your needs.

save your money and don't buy new. I would recommend you keep your eyes on the optics for sale here in the forum, and buy a used mid quality optic for a new low quality glass price.

Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 hands down!! The PST is a brand new scope, only a handfull have been release so far. Like with most new products there are bound to be a few hiccups. The standard Viper has been around for a while and is rock solid! I had a 6.5-20 and I wish I had never sold it! I was in need of some fast cash or I would still have it. I had a Falcon and in my opinion it didn't compare to the Vortex. The glass on the Viper was great, it tracked perfectly, it was just an all around damn fine scope for the money. Plus in the unlikely event that you decided to take it off your rifle and drive some nails with it and broke it, Vortex would send you a new one! Well, maybe their customer service isn't hardly that forgiving but you get my point! Seriously, you won't be disappointed with the Viper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 hands down!! The PST is a brand new scope, only a handfull have been release so far. Like with most new products there are bound to be a few hiccups. The standard Viper has been around for a while and is rock solid! I had a 6.5-20 and I wish I had never sold it! I was in need of some fast cash or I would still have it. I had a Falcon and in my opinion it didn't compare to the Vortex. The glass on the Viper was great, it tracked perfectly, it was just an all around damn fine scope for the money. Plus in the unlikely event that you decided to take it off your rifle and drive some nails with it and broke it, Vortex would send you a new one! Well, maybe their customer service isn't hardly that forgiving but you get my point! Seriously, you won't be disappointed with the Viper. </div></div>

+1

I got the 6.5-20x50Mil-dot as a temp scope while the PST's are getting delivered. Plus I picked it up for less than $400. Great glass (much better than the Trijicon TR23 that I had), anything adjustable is nice and solid with no slop, excellent build quality and customer service from what I've heard (never had to use it).

want a side focus, don't want a fixed power, bushnell is limited in the built in moa adjustments from what i have read. A friend has one and a SS. Both are nice, but just not for me. If I wasn't going to hunt with it then the fixed power would be fine, but I like to dial it back for close up shots if neccesary. I should have put that in my original post. I'm seriously leaning towards the original Viper 6-20X44. I have another friend thats got one of these, just haven't had the time to look through it yet. 65 or 68 moa adjustments is plenty enough to get the 7RM out there. I've been shooting 400 with a duplex reticle and just doing hold overs! I will just have to learn the mil-dot system!

Vortex Viper 6.5-20 in either 44mm or 50mm. I don't think anything can touch it for quality, glass and especially warranty! Bushnell CS is iffy at best and the reports that I have read here and else where are enough to steer me clear of them.

I would not buy anything else under $700.00 that I have seen available in a variable powered optic. The entire package is what I look at and the Viper is GTG against anything else available, in this price range, in my book. Excellent value.

The reticle choices are limited, but we are talking about a budget optic here. The wide-plex reticle is my favorite.

haha, yeah right!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 hands down!! The PST is a brand new scope, only a handfull have been release so far. Like with most new products there are bound to be a few hiccups. The standard Viper has been around for a while and is rock solid! I had a 6.5-20 and I wish I had never sold it! I was in need of some fast cash or I would still have it. I had a Falcon and in my opinion it didn't compare to the Vortex. The glass on the Viper was great, it tracked perfectly, it was just an all around damn fine scope for the money. Plus in the unlikely event that you decided to take it off your rifle and drive some nails with it and broke it, Vortex would send you a new one! Well, maybe their customer service isn't hardly that forgiving but you get my point! Seriously, you won't be disappointed with the Viper. </div></div>

+1

I got the 6.5-20x50Mil-dot as a temp scope while the PST's are getting delivered. Plus I picked it up for less than $400. Great glass (much better than the Trijicon TR23 that I had), anything adjustable is nice and solid with no slop, excellent build quality and customer service from what I've heard (never had to use it). </div></div>

if your wanting to hunt go grab a Nikon Monarch and be done with it. They have awesome low light capabilities. 3-9x is a good all around hunting scope.

pay someone to steal you an S&B? just kidding, just kidding.

Do you care about holdover, mil marks on reticle? If not, get a nice older Leupold 3-9 (back when they were made in USA completely) Might not get you out to the range you are talking about though. Not sure if there is enough elevation. But mine always worked great. Never really shot more than 300 yrds on my old deer gun though. Just something else to think about. Really helps huh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 hands down!! The PST is a brand new scope, only a handfull have been release so far. Like with most new products there are bound to be a few hiccups. The standard Viper has been around for a while and is rock solid! I had a 6.5-20 and I wish I had never sold it! I was in need of some fast cash or I would still have it. I had a Falcon and in my opinion it didn't compare to the Vortex. The glass on the Viper was great, it tracked perfectly, it was just an all around damn fine scope for the money. Plus in the unlikely event that you decided to take it off your rifle and drive some nails with it and broke it, Vortex would send you a new one! Well, maybe their customer service isn't hardly that forgiving but you get my point! Seriously, you won't be disappointed with the Viper. </div></div>

+1

I got the 6.5-20x50Mil-dot as a temp scope while the PST's are getting delivered. Plus I picked it up for less than $400. Great glass (much better than the Trijicon TR23 that I had), anything adjustable is nice and solid with no slop, excellent build quality and customer service from what I've heard (never had to use it). </div></div>

+ another one. My 6.5-20X44 is great, no regrets.

I would go the Burris Fullfield II tac30 range.

6.5 is too high for hunting imho. When Im white tail hunting Im usually on 3x and will go higher depending on what kind of land im hunting.

...not to be a dik, but if I had $400-$500 to spend on optics I would save another $500 or so...
wink.gif

Bushnell 3200 tactical and never look back.

you would not be disappointed with a nikon, they have one in mildot, and has target turrets for adjustments and caps to cover those target turrets, i used one on my .308 for a long time. look at sightron as well they make some fine glass.

I see it's been mentioned already, but my vote, for your price range, would be for the 4-16x42SF Mildot Monarch. I have one on my hunting 308 and it works well. I just bought a 22-250, and after doing a shit ton of research picked up a Viper 6.5-20x44 for that. I was disappointed to say the least. Glass quality was about equal between the two, both in low light and very sunny conditions. However, the eye releif flat out sucks on the Viper compared to the Monarch, as well as the parallax. With the Viper, if you're shooting at 200 and your parallax is set to 100, you can't see shit. With the Monarch, no big deal, it's usable on different parallax settings.

Take everything with a grain of salt. I thought that Viper was going to be the cats ass. 99.9% of people talked it up so much I figured it would blow the hell out of a Monarch. Not the case. The Monarch is the better scope IMO.

I'm not a Leupold fan by any means, but if I needed a variable around $400-500 I'd look for a used VX-III PR with mildot reticle in 3.5-10 or 4-14

Way safer solid bet than the other variables in my opinion.

That said, if I only had $500 and HAD to buy a scope I'd get sn SWFA fixed SS scope.

Well, I looked through my friends Viper and I was very impressed with it. I'm pretty sure that this is gonna be my pick! I would love to have a look through a Menace prior to buying to compare, however, I don't know anybody that owns one! I'm still not 100% for sure, but the scales are tipping that way and based on the reviews I've been reading on the PST I don't see any reason to spend the extra $$$ to buy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I looked through my friends Viper and I was very impressed with it. I'm pretty sure that this is gonna be my pick! I would love to have a look through a Menace prior to buying to compare, however, I don't know anybody that owns one! I'm still not 100% for sure, but the scales are tipping that way and based on the reviews I've been reading on the PST I don't see any reason to spend the extra $$$ to buy it. </div></div>

Hi TacticalJ,

I just bought a 6.5-20x50 Viper last week and had a chance to get it out to the range on Sunday. Overall, it's a nice piece of equipment for the money - if you want / need the features that are on the Viper, I don't think you can get much better value at that price point. Sure, you can probably get a little bit better glass by going up to the $499 mark and buying a Zeiss hunting scope, but then you don't get all the whistles and bells that come with the Viper.

I've only had it a week so I can't say much about durability, but if it survives the next few months as my night scope for hunting coyotes, I'm definitely going to be buying more of them for other rifles.

Cheers,

Russ

Sorry, this might be obvious to you already, but where and what do you hunt? That's gonna be your primary determinant in terms of your magnification range--unless the target shooting is way more important to you. 6x is pretty high if you think you might have shot opportunities close up. Especially if there's any cover, even 4x can seem like too much magnification--the animal can appear, move through your shooting window, and disappear before you can find it in the scope.

That super sniper 3-9x might be your best option unless you hunt in pretty open areas. At least if you're hunting big game. Again, sorry if this is already obvious--there's just a big difference between the scope that's great for 600 or 1000 yards on a static target and the scope you're gonna want when that buck appears at 50 yards.

I can 2nd the suggestion to use a lower power scope for hunting. I have a 6.5-20x50mm Viper and have used it as my main scope for over a year now. Its durable, returns to zero, tracks well, and is great in low light. The only situation that I have run into that it wasn't idea was varmint hunting at night.

The 6.5 just isn't low enough for fast quick on-target shots. A friend let me try is 3-10 power scope and it was perfect for late night hunting. I'm waiting on a 4-16x PST model now and I've not jumped on the 6-24 power just for that reason, it really helps to have the lower power.

The furthest I've been able to shoot around here so far is about 400yds. I'd love to go further since I have the equipment and I'm pretty sure I can make the shot but so far, just haven't had the chance. If you find yourself shooting closer ranges and rarely getting out very far, like me, you will appreciate the lower power more.

Good luck!

Mike

20X for hunting and some bench that "might" get out to 600 yards?

The 3-9SS has better glass than any of the others mentioned (except maybe the PST, which I have yet to see.) More magnification ain't always the answer - and, in hunting, it is seldom a good thing.

My money would go to the 3-9SS. (No need for side focus with a max of 9X.)

I guess there are a lot of favored scopes in your price range that fit your needs. I started out with a Super Sniper 10x. It was a great scope. Absolutely great. No problems of any kind. It was a great teaching aid in that it taught me the purpose of the adjustable turrets, how to use a ballistics table with the turrets, I mean its just a simple tool that works. Backed by a great warranty as well.

The only reason I got rid of it was that I thought I needed more power. Granted that more power was nice with the 20x on the Viper target shooting, when you get in the blind or go hunting, the lower power is just more useful.

If you are starting out, I would probably lean toward the SS 3-9x. It should fit perfectly as an all-around tactical/hunting scope. Plus its FFP so that would be a nice experience too. Maybe look at the 4-12 Viper as well.

Mike

Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 Sidefocus Mil-dot, Millet trs-1 4-16 or the viper would be my main choices. The nikon glass looks better than the millet or falcon menace but the QC issues the falcon has takes it out of the running for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wheelchairman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The nikon glass looks better than the millet or falcon menace but the QC issues the falcon has takes it out of the running for me. </div></div>

What QC issues?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What QC issues?</div></div> I have seen canted reticles and poor tube construction on the earlier versions.

OP, for a 7mm Mag 600-yard hunting and bench scope all you need is a low magnification optic that will handle the recoil, of which there are many. What specific features do you need on the scope or, put another way, wat do you want the scope to do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wheelchairman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The nikon glass looks better than the millet or falcon menace but the QC issues the falcon has takes it out of the running for me. </div></div>

What QC issues? </div></div>

Do any search at all and you will see topic after topic on here.

Did anyone mention Falcon or Super Sniper?

Department of Redundency Department

Or what about Wotac's I have a 12x and its awesome

My 7mm RM wears a Mueller Tac-2, 3-10x. An excellent hunting scope.

Also, check out the new Weaver Grand Slam tactical they make especially for Midway. On sale now for 300 bucks.

I would buy an older (made in the USA)leupold either 3X9 or 4X12 and save up and buy a real quality piece of glass when i could afford it. Then i would look in the for sale section and get a used one that is what i wanted if you have time it will come up just have a little patience and you can be in some good glass.

Well, I went with Vortex. Bought a 6.5-20X44 Viper, not PST. Waiting on the rings, but based on what I've seen so far I made a good choice for the money. This rifle will see some hunting, but mostly long range. I sit on an open area that would have a 300yd and up range for most of the deer. I normally bowhunt, so I like to give the animal a sporting chance when rifle hunting. I prefer a 200yd plus shot. That's just me. I also have a 308 with a 3-9X40 Burris ballistic plex that is probably gonna be used this year, cuz I just got it a while back.

I'm gonna say at this point, the Vortex was chosen because of price, clarity, and most of all warranty. I just don't think you can go wrong with a manufacturer that doesn't care who owns the scope or who bought the scope. It still boils down to the same thing, THEY BUILT IT AND IT IS THERE PRODUCT.

Thanks for all the suggestions and like ussual there was plenty of input from all angles. Now, if I could just get the bum that I "supposedly" bought a stock from, on here, to ship me the stock or return my money! I'd be set for awhile any how.