• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you only had one rifle?

Re: If you only had one rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all you turn bolt guys, I hope you'd never have to go into a modern battle field.
wink.gif

okie </div></div>

If you are referring to a bolt action, if you think a bolt action is obsolete and not effective on a modern battlefield, you are grossly misinformed.

I would have to choose a general purpose rifle as opposed to a rifle with a specialized role. I actually had one built a while back to fill the role of general purpose/ practical rifle. It is a Winchester Classic Compact in .308 with a 20" barrel. I replaced the factory 4 round magazine with a 5 round mag from a featherweight. I replaced the stock with high tech specialties stock and decelerator pad cut to my LOP. I had NECG masterpiece sights installed on the barrel and a Leupold VXIII 1.75-6x32 mounted in Warne Maxima QD rings and bases. Finished it off with a Andy Langlois Ching Sling and now have the perfect practical rifle, at least in my humble opinion.
As a side note, for those interested in receiving training on the use of a practical bolt gun as a fighting platform, you should really look into attending Randy Cain's Practical Rifle Course. It is a blast and I highly recommend it. Info can be found at www.cumberlandtactics.com
And also to comment on the above post, you would be surprised at how capable a bolt action rifle is in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing. I'm a cop and the thought of facing a competant rifleman armed with a bolt action, scares the hell out of me. Alot more than some banger with an AK or Lorcin anyway.

If it was truly one single rifle that i could own it would have to be a precision type 16-18" 308 semi auto (POF, OBR REPR etc). It would have a 3.5-15 NF scope with a offset red dot. This in my humble opinion could serve every purpose from hitting long range, to CQB, to hunting etc. And of course the 308 is some of the most widely available ammo out there so that cant be too bad.

To each his own, but i dont understand all the +15lbs bolt actions being mentioned as the ONLY RIFLE YOU COULD OWN. I like to see someone do close up work with that rifle. Yes, i own my GAP 308 which is a 16lb rig, but that would be the last thing i would name if it was the only rifle i would own. I might as well choose my Barret M82CQ as my only rifle. NOT.

I guess i will play...
If I had to pick something that is based on current production.

AR10 platform/ variable powered scope with an rmr2.
The full "sniper" kit w/ supressor, case et al would be nice.

Not the lightest choice nor is it the best(the carbon fiber parts do look promising)but IMHO its the fair choice provided all that is available for the platform and the .308 caliber.
I can also around a .50bmg upper with it and it would technically still be one rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tromix saiga 12 guage. I can wreck anything under the sun with that. Make doors, kill food, kill groups, and spew lead quickly in the required area. I feel that the shotgun is probably the most violent weapon ever created.

Sub 150yds... game over. </div></div>

This was my second choice.

Hmm, difficult choice. A few yrs ago I'd have gone with a 7mm RM, today I'm far more inclined to the 308. An M40A3 build would do it all pretty nicely.

i would have a .22 mag bolt gun with a large clip atleast 10 rounds with a 12 power scope about 40mm. Its light, accurate, dependable, and will kill anything within 250 yrds. Oh and the ammo is very cheap. Its small enough to hunt anything without destoying meat and big enough to kill anything dangerous. Just my opinion for an all around good rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all you turn bolt guys, I hope you'd never have to go into a modern battle field.
wink.gif

okie </div></div>

One guy.....one gun. I don't think semi-auto is going to do much more for you when achieving "fire superiority" is impossible. And I don't recall any mention of a battlefield by the OP.

Me: AIAW

The environment I'm in would be a high factor in this decision.

I would love to say an AW in .338, but that's limited in it's role.

Versatility wise I think I would rather have something like a M110 SASS.

With that I can still do CQB if I had to, I reach out and touch someone if I needed to and it has a better rate of fire than a bolt gun.

As said, this is a loaded question. There's SOOOO many different roles out there that it's a bit difficult to just pick one system. Fun question to think about though.

wink.gif

okie </div></div>

I know I'm a noob here but if you are referring to bolt actions, surely they have quite different use in a war zone. A semi-Auto able to engage multiple targets up to around 5-600 yards and a bolt action used to provide accurate single shots over distances up to 1000 yards in order to take out important targets such as officers etc.

In regards to the original question, USMC model 1941 sniper rifle, for the versatility of the 30-06 and the 1/2 MOA accuracy.

How about an AR-15 platform in 6.5. Iron sites, with a removable scope. I like iron out to about 100 yds, though that distance is shrinking as I get older! I keep the scope in my pack, for where I hunt it's rarely used. I agree with another poster on the shotgun though, it's a great one gun option. Depends on what areas your intending to use it. I've got a lot of one gun for all experiments, but nothing ever seems to fit the bill for everything for me, but it's fun to keep experimenting.

This just came to mind.I'd go with a switch bolt upper(.22lr and .223) w/the og a2 gas block/front sight for bayonet lug and bayonet,freefloated though) on an AR platform with all the adjustable do-dads.User maintainable and easier to work on(if anything were to happen.The rifle would have alot of storage compartments throughout(grip,stock,and vertical grip)The bolt and magazine change would give you .22lr(alot for cheap and easy to carry) to shoot rabbits,varmints,etc. and the .223 is readily available everywhere again, even walmart for enemies:).Optic would be a(your choice here)good scope with back up irons and a mini red dot for back,back-up.Just my .02cents,Goodshootin'

~Reagan

id have more money first of all, lol. but youd kinda have to choose an ak47 or an ar15 just due to availability

I wouldn't be comfortable with only one rifle under normal circumstances; but if necessary, I think my ideas might evolve similar to Jeff Cooper's and his Scout Rifle concept.

Further; I suspect that any circumstances under which I might be forced to make do with a single rifle woulld negate both Second Amendement and any governmental restrictions. In which case, I'm favoring a service AR. My guess is it would make more sense to throw in with the GI's than not.

I'm just not planning on taking on Uncle Sam any day soon...

Greg

To toss my $0.02 in to the pile...

One rifle to use for EVERYTHING...

Probably a .308 bolt rifle, light weight, 18-22" barrel, able to shoot the tick off of a coyotes back at 100 yds - something in the rem/ruger family due to reliability, availability of parts, wide variety of factory ammo, ease of reloading, and with it:
I could provide food for my family
I could defend my family and my home

If I had to choose between rifles that I currently own, it would be a tough choice.
I could narrow it down to two, a 1908 mauser in 7mm or my M1 garand.

If I was going to go out and buy one with unlimited funds for rifle and optics, it would probably be an OBR in 7.62

For pure survival I am a big fan of the springfield armory M6 scout... still wish they made those.

Easy take down and transport. Good for small game.

OK if i had to just have one of my rifles i think i would use my Rem model7 in 7mm SAUM the reason is i can down load it with 100gr projectiles for small game and varmints and at a pinch load it with solids and shoot up to buffalo and everything in between it has the power to shoot large game and smaller game when downloaded. I also have a Manners ultralight stock on it a Seekins rail and low 30mm rings with a NXS 2.5-10X24 Mil Dot Mill turrets and zero stop and the factory 22" barrel a thicker .312" recoil lug and a APS painKiller muzzle break. so this rifle would also allow shots past 1000 yards.

So that is the one i would have to keep because it can be carried because of its light weight but has all the power for any game if the correct projectile is used.

Only one gun? hmmm! Ok a Dillon Aero Mini Gun that should cover all the bases. Dammit, I am dreaming again. It would have to be my Underground Skunkworks Recon.7.62x51. Age and real world experiences teach you to choose your battles, not jump into everything just because it is there. A smart man lives to fight another day!

A Marlin lever action 30-30. Fast follow-up shots, readily available ammo, with the right ammo good out to 250, and light weight. A savage 99 in 308 would be a better choice.