• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you were building a match rifle ......?

backyardsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
pottsville, ky
I plan to start match shooting in the very near future. I have an excellent 308. Built on a FN SPR lilja barrel Vias brake mcmillan A5, D.D. Ross handle and CDI bottom metal. It is an absolute hammer. However I want to build another rifle or buy one. Something in one of the more efficient calibers. 260, 6.5x47 lap, Fast twist 243. I have a FN SPR A1A 20" that I'm thinking of selling to fund this project or using it to build off of. I really like the FN actions. But I think I want to go with a different stock maybe an AI or Manners thumbhole. What do you think is most important in a match rifle? What is the maximum weight you would go with? Barrel length? I know a lot of these matches have speed limits, so what is a good caliber that would allow me to be competitive but not prohibit me from competing in most matches? Equally what things would you stay away from? What things are unnesesary?

Re: If you were building a match rifle ......?

once you figure out what competition(s) you want to be in and the caliber / ammo used, then:

1. receiver (it's the foundation of everything else)
2. barrel (length and caliber depends on the competition, rate of twist depends on the same which is dependant on the intended ammo)
3. trigger
4. stock
5. optic

weight depends on your choice of competition. from prone or bench only, who cares how heavy as long as it fits into the rules, the heavier the better. 3 or 4 position, weight becomes an issue, especially in offhand.

for the caliber and the other things to choose from, make a list of the top parameters to meet both in NRA and CMP competitions that you may be interested in. when you have requirements that match the most, then you know what to start building so it can be used in many of the matches if you get interested in them. don't forget to check out the seperate divisions in each type of competition (sporter, hunter, open, modified, etc. classes / divisions). don't forget certain military rifle can be used not only for military only classes, but in highpower competitions as well

there's nothing wrong with building a "simple" sporter rifle either that can be used in F, highpower, silhouette, some forms of CMP matches, benchrest, etc.

go to different matches and fondle some rifles, ask questions.

Looking into comps like the steel safari, snipershide cup. Mostly tactical type matches, however i would like to probably shoot some Fclass as well

I am building one right now so heres specs:

Remington 700 short action currently in .243
Will eventually be 28" heavy barrel 6.5x47 Lapua with 1:8.5 twist
Manners T2A stock
CDI bottom metal
Timney trigger at 1.5 pounds
Nightforce 20 moa base
Seekins medium rings
Leupold 6.5-20x50 with target turrets and varmint reticle

I'm kind of digging the 6.5x47 myself. I need to do some more studying on it but from what i can tell it and the 6.5 creedmore and the 260 are all about the same

My understanding about F class is there are Tactical and Open divisions. Tactical means .308 and competetive open class shooters use flat shooting rounds like 6.5x.284 and 7mm magnums of various sorts(short magnums, ultra magnums etc.).

F-class is divided into two basic groups, f/tr 223 or 308 shot off a bipod with rearbag, approx 18lbs weight limit and F-open, any caliber shot off a front rest with a 22lbs approx limit. No brakes or such allowed at present time, although many match directors will allow shooters to look compete but the scores would not be recorded. If your shooting in practical/tactical matches, most times anything goes. My present f/tr rifle is a single shot 28inch barreled 308 in a PR&T stock topped with a 12-42x56 NXS. My practical shooting rifle is a Rem 700 with a 26inch Obermeyer barrel chambered in 260, run a adjustable McMillan A3 with Seekins bottom metal, topped with an IOR. Really two completely different kettles of fish. Decide what products you want to use, ask lots of questions, go to local shoots and see what you like and take it from there.

What's wrong with your 308 if it's a hammer? Why go through the brain damage and cost to save a few cents a round?

If its for a tactical match gun, I would say low recoil is very important. Having a gun that allows you to stay on target for the next shot helps when you are being timed.

I like the 260 as the brass choices are cheaper.

Get a brake put on it. Most tactical guns I have seen have brakes or supressors.

Run your .308 in a match and then figure out what works for you and what doesn't. You'll save a lot of headache and money, trust me.

Otherwise, I'd build a 260.

Unless some other chambering is mandated, i think the .260 Rem has been the most convenient, satisfying, and productive chembering I've ever used in competition. A brake is not needed with the .260.

Optics should accomodate the chambering's entire envelope. I like a 6-24x scope for the .260. Unless shooting in dim light is a requirement, a 40mm objective will do.

Mounts and general optics ruggedness depend on the competition. Range queens like mine don't need gorillaproof mounts.

Stocks should fit and be simple. Significant mass is less important with the .260, but a lightweight will let you know it's going off in no uncertain terms.

Given a choice, I favor light more than heavy; but my chicken ass needs more recoil attenuation than the average shooter.

Greg