• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IF you were going to sell powder in this market

AllenOne1

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Our local shooting range has a swap meet coming up next month. I know some guys are getting short on supplies and need some help so they can keep shooting.

If you were going to sell powder into this market how would you price it?

I have seen some bricks of primers sell at $200 and some powder selling at $100/lbs. I don't have a problem with making a little money, I believe in capitalism, but jeez. Would you really sell 4 lbs. of Varget for $400?

It depends on your purpose for selling. If I’m trying to help fellow local shooters (who I may or may not be familiar with) keep shooting at a range/club I go to as you describe, I’d be fair but nothing would be given away. If I wanted a new car or to buy a house I’d sell in large quantities at $100/lb or more online knowing it will likely still sell fairly fast. Online sales assumes I have a hazmat shipping license.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllenOne1
In the current climate I'm more inclined to trade than sell/buy. Today's value doesn't matter as much to me if I would've taken the same trade 6 months ago.

As above, if you're helping someone out, your cost or similar is more than fair. If a buddy asked me for 100 primers, I'd just give them to him. Stranger on the street would need to open their wallet.

Our local shooting range has a swap meet coming up next month. I know some guys are getting short on supplies and need some help so they can keep shooting.

I have seen some bricks of primers sell at $200 and some powder selling at $100/lbs. I don't have a problem with making a little money, I believe in capitalism, but jeez. Would you really sell 4 lbs. of Varget for $400?
It all depends on how you want to be remembered 6 months or a year after the swap meet, the guy who porked the shooters who needed help or the guy that is greeted with a smile at later matches because he was fair with his prices.
If you just have a small supply of primers and/or powder and don't want to sell, then don't.

Reactions: camocorvette
It all depends on how you want to be remembered 6 months or a year after the swap meet, the guy who porked the shooters who needed help or the guy that is greeted with a smile at later matches because he was fair with his prices.
If you just have a small supply of primers and/or powder and don't want to sell, then don't.
Ya I'm not looking to put it to anyone especially the people I shoot with, that brings me back to the question though when things loosen back up I'll be buying most of these items back so I don't want to loose money on this deal. So cost + hazmat + shipping seems like the low end place to start.

Ya I'm not looking to put it to anyone especially the people I shoot with, that brings me back to the question though when things loosen back up I'll be buying most of these items back so I don't want to loose money on this deal. So cost + hazmat + shipping seems like the low end place to start.
You can always give, under the pretense of replacement, reasonable time frame of course to see if things settle.

Reactions: tnichols
You can always give, under the pretense of replacement, reasonable time frame of course to see if things settle.
That is an interesting twist, I have at least a handful of people that I would consider that with. Something I hadn't thought about.

That is an interesting twist, I have at least a handful of people that I would consider that with. Something I hadn't thought about.
You could make a couple good friends, or a couple assholes could alienate themselves from you and that at times, is priceless.

Personally I wouldn't take my stuff to a club swap meet and ask inflated prices. I would try to swap or just do as Milo suggested and gift it to a needy shooter. But thats just me.

But I would have no remorse if I put it up for bid and it went for crazy prices. Like I said, thats just me!

I've already given away some components, ammo, AR mags and toilet paper. Early last year on the TP!

In the past I have given friends/people I trust to follow through reloading supplies that they replace when things become more sane, I tend to maintain good stock when the prices are normal. This is the way I would like to be treated if they had the ability to help me out if I were in their shoes, that old golden rule thing.

I‘M going pheasant hunting on Friday. I cannot fine 3” 6s in my AO. I called the most likely donor, and he had the same skeet and duck loads I did (no pheasant loads), BUT, he needed lg pistol primers. I have a dozen boxes, so I gave him one. He said he only needed 200, and I told him he needs to practice with his .45 more.

I found a case on cheaperthandirt. I’m not a fan, but they had them. Now I just hope they show up in time.

hypothetical;

If you try to be too generous (by selling "too low") in order to help someone out and they turn around and jack up the price and sell at the higher price, that would suck.

I'm not selling anything, regardless of price. No reason to and I don't need more.

If you list primers and powder cheap someone will buy it all and flip it. List it for what everything is currently going for and then you can always take an offer.

I‘M going pheasant hunting on Friday. I cannot fine 3” 6s in my AO. I called the most likely donor, and he had the same skeet and duck loads I did (no pheasant loads), BUT, he needed lg pistol primers. I have a dozen boxes, so I gave him one. He said he only needed 200, and I told him he needs to practice with his .45 more.

I found a case on cheaperthandirt. I’m not a fan, but they had them. Now I just hope they show up in time.
I haver used 8 shot trap lots a lot on pheasants with good success.

I priced mine at a price that would reflect the market, my time already invested and what I estimate my time being to replace. Then I added $50. Should have asked for more.

In this market I wouldn't sell at all, unless I had to - and then I'd sell for what the market would bear, because I NEEDED the cash RFN.
I'd help a buddy out with what he needed at what I paid for it, but randos at a swap meet? What value could I charge that wouldn't be 'gouging' (that is ALWAYS remembered) or setting myself up to have someone swoop in and the resell that they just bought from me? Karma isn't real, but peoples memories are.
Go to the swap meet to buy, and chat with folks.. If there's a friend/buddy shooter there who's in need, help them out. If they're really a buddy, what's $50 worth of powder or some primers compared to their friendship? JM2C and YMMV.

In this market I wouldn't sell at all, unless I had to - and then I'd sell for what the market would bear, because I NEEDED the cash RFN.
I'd help a buddy out with what he needed at what I paid for it, but randos at a swap meet? What value could I charge that wouldn't be 'gouging' (that is ALWAYS remembered) or setting myself up to have someone swoop in and the resell that they just bought from me? Karma isn't real, but peoples memories are.
Go to the swap meet to buy, and chat with folks.. If there's a friend/buddy shooter there who's in need, help them out. If they're really a buddy, what's $50 worth of powder or some primers compared to their friendship? JM2C and YMMV.
This may be the best reply yet. After hearing every ones replies I'm not sure I want to sell at all there just seems to be too many ways for it to go bad or appear bad. As Bio and others have stated if a buddy needs some help provide the level of help they need. And the $50 would be forgotten tomorrow anyway, it means nothing in this world as opposed to having good friends.

I make it clear up front that I deal in trade at pre panic prices only.

I saw 5 lbs of Retumbo listed for $1000 yesterday. I will never forget that guy. Won’t ever help him either. He has shown his colors.

Reactions: Fig and jmw
I sold a fellow club member 1000 LRP's last fall when for some reason he couldn't find any. Gave him a fair price of about $60 / 1000. Sold him some .40 ammo for pretty cheap in this current market.

He stumbled on 1000 SRP's the other day, which he doesn't really need. He's willing to hand them over for $20. I'm going to give him $40.....and we'll both be happy. Helped each other out.