• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors illegal travel with nfa items

Re: illegal travel with nfa items

Depends on what it is. There is a transfer form to fill out and submit to the BATF if it is a SBR, MG, etc. Nothing is required for a suppressor to my knowledge, but KNOW THE LAWS OF THE STATE YOU ARE TRAVELING TO!

so if i am traveling from texas to north dakota do i have to get permission from each state or the government, even if the states allow ownership. is there some rule against going across state lines?

Call the NFA branch, file a 5320.20 for the "from" and "to"

You can't take the NFA item out in transit, especially if you're in a non-NFA compliant state.

Let's say it's a suppressor. Keep the can locked up and the approved 5320.20 and you'll be fine.

ok i will call. thanks again. the states i will be traveling through are compliant states i was just wondering if you have to have the permission of that state or if my tax id stamp covers me in all states which are automatically

As long as your destination is NFA friendly you are GTG, no paperwork required for traveling cans.

What the heck would u go through MN for? Even if your destination is on the east side of ND...I-90 won't take you through MN. What other major highway would even be an option?

Check your route and check the local laws. If absolutely necessary, keep all firearms and ammo in the trunk, with the ammo separate from firearms.

Don't be like that Florida guy who drove up to New York City with a loaded handgun in his glove compartment, and was caught when he turned right on a red light. He faced 3 years minimum behind bars. Luckily the jury was sympathetic.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011...ed_of_nyc_.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What the heck would u go through MN for? Even if your destination is on the east side of ND...I-90 won't take you through MN. What other major highway would even be an option? </div></div>
I-35 all the way from TX up to Minneapolis, then west on I-94. Not a good idea with any NFA items. MN sucks for that.

As long as you are only passing through a non-NFA frienly state it's not a problem. ATF is only concerned that the Title II items are legal at their destination. Stopping for meals, fuel and sleep are OK but that's about it. Be sure to keep the approved 5320.20 with the items in question in case you are stopped by local LE.

Suppressors don't techincally need a 5320.20 but it's not a bad idea to get one anyway. Supposedly they were left out of the law by mistake. Local police is likely not familiar with the requirements and it could prevent a delay in your journey if you happen to be stopped. I'd also keep the NFA Branch phone number handy in case the LEO wants to call and verify.

Ah, there are more roads then just I35 going north. Sure we do not have as many people up here but we still have a lot of roads. My Dad used to say all roads go somewhere. I live in ND and the worst part of the trip from Bismarck to Mpls is that stretch of I94 from Fargo to about 1.5hrs out from the cities. The second worst part of driving in MN they are an antigun state. All firearms have to be fully cased. That means if your case is open more than one inch you get to lose your firearms. Sounds great to me. I hate mn as much as I do hunters. I try to avoid that state as much as possible and you should also.

30 grand mistake. Whats wrong with this country. HE obviouslt had a FL drivers licence and the pistols was obviously registered to him legally. Quit wasting time with these lousy cases and spend it on the murderers, drug addicts, and child molesters. It seems they get off easier then this guy this day and age.

so i wonder what the chl rules are in MN? Are you saying that if I have hunting weapon's or any weapon for that matter that they can not be out of a hard case while traveling?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The second worst part of driving in MN they are an antigun state. All firearms have to be fully cased. That means if your case is open more than one inch you get to lose your firearms. Sounds great to me. I hate mn as much as I do hunters. I try to avoid that state as much as possible and you should also. </div></div>
LOL, but there are lakes and trees there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spts05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so i wonder what the chl rules are in MN? Are you saying that if I have hunting weapon's or any weapon for that matter that they can not be out of a hard case while traveling? </div></div> Must be in a case unless travelling between two hunting areas in the same county. I guess if you had a concealed carry license, you should be good to go. I am not a lawyer and most everyone here is not so best to do your own research.

This thread has bad info on it.

"Transit" is not Transfer, and your Tax ID number is not what a stamp is.

Just file a 5320.20, it's not necessary, but it's easy and free... so do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HE obviouslt had a FL drivers licence and the pistols was obviously registered to him legally. </div></div>

OT, but I'm a pro-gun guy and I would have had a tough time letting him off. No reason to have a Saturday Night Special irresponsibly stored in a vehicle glove box unless you're gang banging.

Bearing arms, be it concealed, open, or in a glove box is a big responsibility... not everyone is responsible or intelligent enough to practice their right within the limits of the law.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kalashnikev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HE obviouslt had a FL drivers licence and the pistols was obviously registered to him legally. </div></div>

OT, but I'm a pro-gun guy and I would have had a tough time letting him off. No reason to have a Saturday Night Special irresponsibly stored in a vehicle glove box unless you're gang banging. .. </div></div>A pro gun guy does not refer to a handgun as a Sat Night Special. In Az, and other states as well, we are allowed to carry loaded firearms in our glovebox and on our person, does that makes us irresponsible? No. It is irresponsible for voters to allow politicians to ignore the Constitution and pass restrictions on our rights. It is irresponsible for so called gun guys to use terms like Sat Night Specials and make comments like gang banging in reference to honest citizens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The second worst part of driving in MN they are an antigun state. All firearms have to be fully cased. That means if your case is open more than one inch you get to lose your firearms. Sounds great to me. I hate mn as much as I do hunters. I try to avoid that state as much as possible and you should also. </div></div>
LOL, but there are lakes and trees there...</div></div>

Have to love MN the land of 10,000 poluted lakes. Just think about those lake homes the crap has to go somewhere. They are now really getting on the owners to have septic systems. Humm that little chunk of something may not be what you thought it was.

Yea he sure did look like a gang banger to me. I bet he acted like it too. Im sure the guy was pissing his pants thinking he was about to go to jail for doing nothing wrong. I bet he was spouting off gansta lyrics and f;ashing gang signs too.

I am all in favor of police being cautious and safe, but I have a feeling the officer was just having a bad day when he took this guy in.

But, your right.. at the end of the day, he did break the state law (regardless of how stupid it is). I guess its a good thing im not a police officer. I would have probaly let him go seeing that he was from FL and didnt know NY state law.

He may not have been a gangbanger, but perhaps he had gangbanger aspirations/ fantasies... I just can't see purchasing a Saturday Night Special (Davis, Skyy, Lorcin, Jennings, Keltec, or other) and putting it in the glove box to forget about it.

I now think that probably he was just going to sell it on the street and got more than he bargained for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess its a good thing im not a police officer. I would have probaly let him go...</div></div>

I'll do you one better even- (unofficially) NYPD doesn't recognize LEOSA. It might get settled in the courts, but if you bring your pistol to NYC with a lil Deputy Dawg, Maycomb, AL badge, you'll be hugging some pavement.

So I guess civil disobedience can work both ways... it's too bad our courts are so expensive and substandard though.

On the 5220.20........you can fax it to them and get your approved copy back in the mail in about 2 weeks. That's the way I do it every year.