• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Illum. Mark 5

Socalshooter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2018
Socal
Quick question for you guys, I'm new to the long range game and new to the hide but some feedback would be nice on a scope deal.
I found a demo mark 5 5-25 with a illuminated pr1 reticle for a little over 1400. Is this a good buy for the price range? Or is there a better scope for the price?

If you like MOA, that is a steal.
I’m a little more familiar with mils, that’s the only issue I have for the optic in question
But it’s a lot more affordable than the mil counterpart
How’s the cq on the mark 5?
I’ve read good and bad

I’m a little more familiar with mils, that’s the only issue I have for the optic in question
But it’s a lot more affordable than the mil counterpart
How’s the cq on the mark 5?
I’ve read good and bad

Check the ginormous Mk5 thread. Lots of info there.

I had a couple of initial issues with mine out of the box. Leupy CS worked with me to trouble-shoot over the phone and seems to have resolved them. I have not been able to shoot the scope to verfiy as I'm waiting on my barrel from CLE.

Depends on your use as well. I’m planning on putting a 3.6-18 MK 5 on my hunting rig where IMO a capped windage knob is a plus. Typically you want to hold wind, but a scope with a capped windage knob wouldn’t be my first choice on a PRS type rifle.

Also, I’ve recently seen a few 5-25 MK 5’s for sale brand new for the $1750 range (not sure if they were illuminated or not. That’s a price bump of a couple hundred bucks) at my local Turners, so $1400 is a good price but not a steal that you need to jump on regardless of whether or not it has all the features you want.

Depends on your use as well. I’m planning on putting a 3.6-18 MK 5 on my hunting rig where IMO a capped windage knob is a plus. Typically you want to hold wind, but a scope with a capped windage knob wouldn’t be my first choice on a PRS type rifle.

Also, I’ve recently seen a few 5-25 MK 5’s for sale brand new for the $1750 range (not sure if they were illuminated or not. That’s a price bump of a couple hundred bucks) at my local Turners, so $1400 is a good price but not a steal that you need to jump on regardless of whether or not it has all the features you want.

The issue is the Illumination. Leupy charges a substantial amount of money to upgrade to illuminated reticles. If it was a non-illum, it'd be an ok price. But illuminated? That's a good deal...if you like the reticle.

Reactions: HogsLife
I’ve checked all my local gun stores, big name and smaller but the lowest I’ve seen any model of the mark 5 is 1800+
I don’t know if it would be the appropriate reticle for my custom hunting rifle
I’m on the line between the mk5 and the 4-16 atacr sfp

The issue is the Illumination. Leupy charges a substantial amount of money to upgrade to illuminated reticles. If it was a non-illum, it'd be an ok price. But illuminated? That's a good deal...if you like the reticle.

Agreed ??

I’ve checked all my local gun stores, big name and smaller but the lowest I’ve seen any model of the mark 5 is 1800+
I don’t know if it would be the appropriate reticle for my custom hunting rifle
I’m on the line between the mk5 and the 4-16 atacr sfp

Just wondering, why would a PR-1 reticle in an FFP scope not be ideal for a hunting rifle, and why would you prefer a SFP ?

When a big buck gets up and you drop down to take a shot, it’s pretty easy to forget that your magnification is not maxed (which nobody hunts on 16x) out and now your reticle holds are all off.

More than a few stories of guys missing game due to exactly that.

Reactions: Socalshooter
Just wondering, why would a PR-1 reticle in an FFP scope not be ideal for a hunting rifle, and why would you prefer a SFP ?

When a big buck gets up and you drop down to take a shot, it’s pretty easy to forget that your magnification is not maxed (which nobody hunts on 16x) out and now your reticle holds are all off.

More than a few stories of guys missing game due to exactly that.
Good point
I’ve just dialed all of my elevation and windage for the vast majority of shots I’ve taken on game

Good point
I’ve just dialed all of my elevation and windage for the vast majority of shots I’ve taken on game

No doubt man. It’s those blood pumping unexpected shots when you don’t have time to dial when the mistakes happen, and your so involved with taking shot after shot and wondering why that buck isn’t dead. lol normally it’s not until that buck is long gong before you realize what you did.

Go FFP man. Save a bit more and buy the one that has the features you want. Don’t settle.

Reactions: Socalshooter
I was taking a good look at the mark 5 with the cch reticle
For the price point it looks like a great optic

Like I said, reticles are personal preference. Im not into Horus types but that’s not to say that a lot of people don’t dig em. defiantly a useful reticle. If you you like it and the scope has the features you want then snatch it up.

Attachments

• 1960CE60-5B77-45CD-A30D-856CBF661EC9.jpeg
    1960CE60-5B77-45CD-A30D-856CBF661EC9.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
The thin reticle of the cch may not be the best after reading through the thread
I would like to have a usable reticle on the lower end of the magnification as well.
An illuminated cch would be a nice addition

I like the PR1 reticle. I like holdovers because they are quick and I find that reticle to be clean, non distracting, and thick enough to use in a hunting scope even at low mag levels. It’s the one I chose.

How is it on lower magnifications? 5-10x?

I had the 5-25 at first and had to return it because it came to me from factory with a bad reticle and turret was misaligned. They gave me a refund which I used to go and get a 3-18 from EuroOptic right down the road from me.

Both of the scopes have great glass. My 3-18 has almost no CA and is amazingly clear. I mean Razor HD Gen2 clear, actually a little better (especially in low light). 5-10 mag is super clean.

I had the 5-25 at first and had to return it because it came to me from factory with a bad reticle and turret was misaligned. They gave me a refund which I used to go and get a 3-18 from EuroOptic right down the road from me.

Both of the scopes have great glass. My 3-18 has almost no CA and is amazingly clear. I mean Razor HD Gen2 clear, actually a little better (especially in low light). 5-10 mag is super clean.

The 3-18’s are a perfect magnification Range for hunting IMO.

Euro Optic is great to deal with. I got a set of Demo BNIB Zeiss Victory 10x42 RF Binoculars for $2200 ($3600 MSRP).

Definitely check out what they have for sale on their demo / used list.

Reactions: Genin

A consistent theme with the Mk5's is that they excel in low light....some have stated they are superior in low light to some of the German Alpha dogs. If your intended use is hunting, then it would seem that a Mk5 needs to be on your short list.

Last edited:
A consistent theme with the Mk5's is that they excel in low light....some have stated they are superior in low light to some of the German Alpha dogs. If your intended use is hunting, then it would seem that a Mk5 needs to be on your short list.
It will be used mostly on hunting but will be used occasionally to ring steel farther out
I hunt mostly mountain terrain so shots vary from 100-700 yards

I’ve got a Mk5 3.6-18 with illuminated TMR on my hunting rifle. Low light performance is excellent and I find the TMR is thick enough to work well even on low power. I shot an running elk at 90 yards on 3.6x last year.

I also regularly practice out to 1000 with it.

Reactions: Genin and HogsLife
I’ve got a Mk5 3.6-18 with illuminated TMR on my hunting rifle. Low light performance is excellent and I find the TMR is thick enough to work well even on low power. I shot an running elk at 90 yards on 3.6x last year.

I also regularly practice out to 1000 with it.

How much do you use the illumination?
One would expect it'd help when shooting on low magnification, have you found yourself using it or not really?

I honestly don’t really use it. But I can still see situations where it would be beneficial. The low light performance and the thickness of the TMR help a lot. On low power, in low light- the illumination can help. But honestly, if it’s dark enough where I need the illumination, I probably can’t judge antlers or points anyway and wouldn’t shoot. Now that’s considering traditional 30 minutes before sunrise/ 30 after sunset hunting hours. If you might use it for nighttime predator/ pig hunting- then I would definitely get illumination.