• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Illuminated or non illuminated

Alaric H

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2013
Oakton VA
I need to buy a scope for a 6x47. Is a illuminated FFP a big deal? It cost a little more on some scopes. I will be shooting at target's maybe some hunting or any excuse to get out of the house.

All my target scopes are illuminated , from USO's ,Vortex , Leupolds

I could count on one hand how many times I really needed the illumination.
If you are going to also use this for hunting I would spring for the illumination being a lot of shots are taking at sundown .
Depending on the backdrop , throw in some low light and it can be tough to see your reticle clearly.

I have illumination on a NF and a Swarovski. I have never needed it for sundown conditions on my Swarovski. I have never used it in my NF.
As for FFP. It's nice to have

Only scopes I have used illumination are red dots (DUH) and the 1-4x (used like a red dot) on ARs.

All but one of my scopes is illuminated and the way I see it I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. The few situations I needed an illuminated reticle it was extremely beneficial. I was glad I forked out the extra cash for it.

iIllumination and ffp have something in common....with both, if you have to ask someone else if you need it...then YOU DO NOTneed it.

Illumination is a very questionable feature. Can be usefull in hunting at ow light situation but I rarely used it.

FFP is whole another animal. Do you range with your reticle. If you do and you plan hunting with your scope so you can't change magnification - then you NEED it.

Basically in low pressure situation FFP saves you time. In high pressure it might save a day