• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Illuminated or not?

hartley2463

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2007
I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in 308 and am now looking at scopes for a beginner. The question I have is should I spend the extra money for an illuminated reticule scope? Or is this something I don't need? Illuminated reticule scopes are a lot more expensive and I am not a tactical marksman, just shooting for fun. I used the search function but couldn't find any topics about this subject here.

Re: Illuminated or not?

I think you would first have to ask yourself what kind of light conditions will you be shooting in.

I own nothing but illuminated reticule scopes. That being said I don't thinks I've ever turned on the illum. I think, if it's a quality scope with good glass then the light gathering should be enough to take you through dusk and dawn. The only time the illum would be beneficial would be on an over cast day when the reticule washed out on a dark backing(shadow of trees), or at night (washed into shadows but the target was lit by a streetlight or something). Spend the money on a higher quality scope, or other options you will use.

I forgot to add, that illum will help resale if you decide to upgrade.

remember one thing.....all this go fast stuff and add-on trinkets have their place in life...they are tools for some and expensive detritus to others....

as i go on and shoot and hunt , i find myself in places where a lit scope is of great value.....but i'm sure your mileage may vary .

Most of my scopes have illuminated reticles, but I have never really used them. They are there only for the "bling" factor.
myerfire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epaultmbt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own nothing but illuminated reticule scopes.
</div></div>

Same here, illuminated reticles all the way around.

I very much enjoy the illuminated stuff when shooting at night. I prefer green over red, as it doesn't bloom quite so much, but a nice reticle with adjustable red illumination is good too.

I don't find illuminated reticles to be of any use during the day. Some might though.

I have an illuminated reticle being a LEO its a must.

When I bought my Mark 4, it was only a $100 difference. I figured it wasn't something I could go back and just add later, so I bit the bullet then.

Good thing I did, 2 weeks later I went shooting on a severely overcast day, and it paid off!

Buy a Nightforce with knobs that match the reticle, hint MLR with MilRad knobs, and you'll have everything you need, 3.5-15 or 5.5-22!

I like mine for hunting. Esp. in low light in the thick woods, the eyes ain't what they used to be...so they help keep the crosshairs from blending with brush, etc...I also have some Bushnell 3200's w/Firefly which ain't all that bad either in MHO.

Lit reticles on all mine and I have never turned them on. If you have the choose I would save the extra money and get non lit.

I just let my last non illuminated reticle go. A ST10. Until recently, I never used my illuminated reticles. I've found that once I learn to turn them on, I use them more and more. Unless I'm shooting at an orange target, generally speaking, I think they "pop" out better in all conditions. The benefit, of course, is exasperated in low light conditions and with thin reticles.