• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Illuminated reticles and battery life.....

cms81586

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2005
AZ
Why can't optics companies utilize the technology that Aimpoint does to get an illuminated reticle to run thousands of hours on a single battery? Sort of a vague question but if Aimpoint can figure it out somebody else should be able to. Most scopes are dead after a few days if you forget to shut off the illuminated reticle...it annoys me to the point that I consider it a useless feature.

Re: Illuminated reticles and battery life.....

Illuminated reticles use a tiny coin battery. Eotech/aimpoint use multiple 321 batteries that are probably 15x bigger. I think that would possibly explain one difference. They also illuminate using different mechanisms.

ETA:
Trijicon has a couple products that illuminate without batteries, such as the accupoint scope, acog, and a self-illuminating reflex sight. It is possible, but not always practical.

Exactly. You are talking around 1500mah per CR123 battery, if they use multiple just add them up. A cr2032 battery has about 220mah, and there is only one.

Granted, aimpoint may also use digital illumination, kind of like what IOR is doing now. I dont know if the IOR's will last a lot longer than the standard type or not.

I don't know the reason, but Aimpoint's electronics have by far the best battery life and it's not because some of them use larger batteries. The T-1 and H-1 Aimpoints use the same 2032 coin sized battery as many other makers scopes and they get tens of thousands of hours of battery life. Aimpoint has protected their designs with patents, but I too wonder why someone else couldn't design electronics with longer battery life without infringing on Aimpoints patents.

And speaking of battery life, why the hell cant they make a cell phone battery last 24 hrs Uggggggg I like my smartphone but if you are using the internet you better have a power source and cord along with you, 4 hrs tops on battery life