• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Illumination parallax on FFP scopes

dbooksta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
PA
I recently got IOR's 6-24x56 FFP scope. Its illumination consists only of a single .25MOA dot, and there is (at high magnification) noticeable parallax between that dot and the reticle's center dot.

Is this problem common to all illuminated FFP scopes?

Re: Illumination parallax on FFP scopes

No takers?

Perhaps we can break this down into a few questions:

1. Are modern high-magnification reticles always etched or drawn one of the lenses? Or are any still suspended wires or placed on a separate piece of glass that is not part of the magnification system?

2. For SFP and FFP reticles: On which lense element, or how far down the scope, is the reticle in a typical magnifying scope?

3. Can anyone enumerate and describe the technologies currently used for electric illumination of scope reticles?

Re: Illumination parallax on FFP scopes

Most likely that is not just a FFP scope. It may have the lit dot in the RFP.

I have never seen a modern day FFP scope with a wire reticle, they are all etched glass.

The FFP reticle is located in the front of the erector tube, just forward of the elevation and windage knob location. The RFP is back by the eyepiece, typically at the point of the hinge. The FFP reticle is magnified quite a bit more that the RFP, the RFP is just maginified my the eyepiece.

Most all lit reticles are lit by an LED. Trijicon uses Tritium and fiber optics.
Hope that helps,
John III