• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm desiring a .22lr that I don't think exists on the market right now… Thoughts?

Coloradocop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2010
Front Range of Colorado
I've been thinking about my future of rimfire shooting, and I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish what I'm looking for. I'd like to see a rifle with:

1) Aperture sights (I've always preferred sights to scopes on my .22's, and I like a rear peep much more than a traditional sight)
2) A threaded barrel (for a suppressor)
3) A stock that will fit an adult's body
4) Some sort of repeating design (I don't necessarily care if it's a bolt action or a semi-auto, just not a single shot)

I'm trying to decide if I can find a suitable rifle for this purpose (less than about $600), or if I can modify one of my current rifles (most likely the 10/22) to suit my needs/desires. My current .22lr "collection" consists of a Romanian M69 trainer (a surplus rifle) and a Ruger 10/22. I've had the Ruger scoped in the past, and I've used it with open sights. Regardless, I've always shot the ugly old M69 better than I've shot the 10/22. My complaints with my 10/22 are as follows:

1) The stock feels like it was built for a child. I need an adult size stock... I'm not a huge guy, but that stock is tiny. That's probably easy enough to remedy.
2) I'm not a fan of the stock sights on the 10/22.
3) The barrel isn't threaded, which would prevent me from adding a suppressor like I want to… also, threading the barrel as it's currently built would eliminate the front sight, which creates one problem while solving another problem.
4) The trigger sucks (I can probably live with that).

Now, I know the whole world is in love with the 10/22, and it is certainly a rifle that has developed quite a collection of aftermarket parts. I don't mean to trash it in my post here, but I've certainly identified some things I'm not particularly fond of at the moment. I'm not against the idea of modifying my existing rifle to suit my needs, if that's possible.

If all else fails I'll probably throw a different stock and a threaded bull barrel on the 10/22, and simply run it with optics. But, I thought I'd throw it out here to see what you rimfire connoisseurs have to say on this subject.

So, how would you proceed? Is the rifle I seek out there somewhere?

The threading AND iron sights is of course your biggest challenge.

On your budget, modify your 10/22 for your biggest bang for the buck. Get a new threaded Green Mountain or similar barrel, run one of the NDS-23 and NDS-26 front/rear sight setups here: NoDak Spud NDS-22 receivers

The trigger can be modified yourself, or you can go with one of the adjustable setups out there but for a fair price more. Rimfire Central has a TON of threads on Ruger triggers.

The stock, well that's very much personal choice. All depends on what kind of shooting you're intending on doing.

ETA: You can always take a threaded .920 barrel to a smith and have them dovetail cut it for an iron sight as well, but again that starts to play more with the budget.

Last edited:
Have you looked at an AR-15 type with a .22 upper? Many options for stocks, triggers, grips, sights, etc. They can usually be found for under $600.

Have you looked at an AR-15 type with a .22 upper? Many options for stocks, triggers, grips, sights, etc. They can usually be found for under $600.

That's a good suggestion except that the cheaper uppers aren't usually very accurate. When you look at what you've spent, you could have a lot more accurate 10/22 or other, for the same money. You could get Compass Lake to build you a space gun upper in .22 that would have apertures and be accurate but it won't be cheap.

You may look into the old Savage Model 19, there are several of them out there. My dad has an NRA model that has essentially everything you mentioned except for the threaded bbl. Other than that I think that maybe an AR with an upper might be you best bet.

Ive built a few 10/22s and I have never had the kind of luck that most 10/22 owners rave about and you certainly wont likely get it done for under $600

Jim

Last edited:
Check out the CZ line of bolt actions. I know they have several available with the Aperture sights, I am with Redmanss, it may be hard to find one with both.

I have a 455 Varmint .22lr that I am extremely happy with. It is easy to change barrels and calibers with the 455 as well. Replacement barrel, magazine combos run from $129 and up.

I've been thinking about my future of rimfire shooting, and I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish what I'm looking for. I'd like to see a rifle with:

1) Aperture sights (I've always preferred sights to scopes on my .22's, and I like a rear peep much more than a traditional sight)
2) A threaded barrel (for a suppressor)
3) A stock that will fit an adult's body
4) Some sort of repeating design (I don't necessarily care if it's a bolt action or a semi-auto, just not a single shot)

So, how would you proceed? Is the rifle I seek out there somewhere?

The one I want is the Ishmash 7-2 Biathlon Basic in 22lr (also available in 22WMR). 5-rd mag, and toggle bolt similar to the Anschutz Fortnier action (but not the same). MT Guns in Santa Barbara offeres a Lyman/Redfield Peep sight option. Prices run from $300-900 depending on our state of diplomatic relations with Russia. The one I want is the SV-99 model which comes with scope, suppressor, and adjustable sight. Now if we can only get Obama and Putin to play nice.

Irish

Attachments

• sv-99_2.jpg
    sv-99_2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 42
Assuming you own an AR15 : Mk4 Models (22LR)
Start with MBUS sights, upgrade as necessary.
My buddy has a 20" and it was way more accurate than I anticipated with Winchester 333 or 777 or whatever that bulk is called.

That being said I'm looking hard at the PWS Summit and a Lilja tube to replace my threaded Lilja barreled bolt gun.
ARgonomics might only be trumped by 10/22 accessories and aftermarket parts.

Thanks for all of the replies so far, everyone!

I didn't even think of the idea of getting a .22lr upper for an AR-15, but I suppose that's an option, too. I am concerned about the mention some of you made about these designs not being very accurate. But, if I could find an accurate specimen of this type, it might work for me (I like shooting my AR's well enough, but they're expensive, and hard to suppress to the same level as a .22lr for pest control purposes).

I didn't even think of the idea of getting a .22lr upper for an AR-15, but I suppose that's an option, too. I am concerned about the mention some of you made about these designs not being very accurate. But, if I could find an accurate specimen of this type, it might work for me (I like shooting my AR's well enough, but they're expensive, and hard to suppress to the same level as a .22lr for pest control purposes).

At first I was going to tell you to get a Win Mod 52, and thread the barrel, but I am jumping on the AR15/22 bandwagon. Smith and Wesson's M+P 15/22 is an excellent gun.

Pushing the budget a bit but if you really have a concern with being quiet, go with a bolt or toggle bolt. [MENTION=45892]CMH[/MENTION] has a threaded PWS for sale at a great price in the FS forum. http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/firearms-sale/240762-pws-t3-summit-straight-pull-22-lr.html

You can then go the clamp on front sight and there's a few different rear sight options out there as well.

At first I was going to tell you to get a Win Mod 52, and thread the barrel, but I am jumping on the AR15/22 bandwagon. Smith and Wesson's M+P 15/22 is an excellent gun.

What he said. More I thought about it, the AR 22lr upper is already threaded (or some of them are), it can be accurate with good sights/optics and careful ammo selection. I would be stunned if any of the options are tack drivers when shooting the Win/Rem/Fed bulk pack ammo. That stuff is the dreggs of the business and is only saleable because so many people do not know the difference or do not have a 22 that is accurate enough to tell the difference. I shot my little single shot Ithaca rifle as a kid for years, blissfully ignorant to the fact that there was a difference in 22lr ammo. The Ithaca was a great little starter rifle but the front sight was huge and only slightly more precise than shooting from the hip, lol. It had no provision for better sights so I adapted and learned to live with it. When I got to college and was able to make the rifle team, I was impressed with the accuracy of the Remington Mod 40x tgt rifles with micrometer peep sights that we were equiped with. It made shooting straight almost easy.

I would bet that an AR upper with good sights and ammo would be capable of good accuracy. Some may be better than others but you will need to ask the guys who have one.

Irish

The irons/peeps plus threaded barrel are what are going to make this hard to find "in production".

Savage will mix-n-match their stuff to your specs (at full MSRP though...) So you are looking at a combination of a FVT and a FVSR or TRSR. But I don't think the front sights on the FVT and SR models can be swapped...

If I really wanted something like this, I'd get a FVSR or a TRSR and put Tech Sights on it. Or build up a 10/22, again with threaded barrel and add TechSights. Or, since I already have a Mossberg 44US w/ peeps, just have its barrel threaded, but the front sight would need to be relocated further back on the barrel.

What he said. More I thought about it, the AR 22lr upper is already threaded (or some of them are), it can be accurate with good sights/optics and careful ammo selection. I would be stunned if any of the options are tack drivers when shooting the Win/Rem/Fed bulk pack ammo. That stuff is the dreggs of the business and is only saleable because so many people do not know the difference or do not have a 22 that is accurate enough to tell the difference. I shot my little single shot Ithaca rifle as a kid for years, blissfully ignorant to the fact that there was a difference in 22lr ammo. The Ithaca was a great little starter rifle but the front sight was huge and only slightly more precise than shooting from the hip, lol. It had no provision for better sights so I adapted and learned to live with it. When I got to college and was able to make the rifle team, I was impressed with the accuracy of the Remington Mod 40x tgt rifles with micrometer peep sights that we were equiped with. It made shooting straight almost easy.

I would bet that an AR upper with good sights and ammo would be capable of good accuracy. Some may be better than others but you will need to ask the guys who have one.

Irish

Irish,
I am going to pick one up as soon as I can. A friend of mine has one, and he can hang with me and my CZ 455,(obviously, not as tight groups, but it bangs steel out to 250 with no problem).
Since I have a AR DMR clone, and I have my .22 LRs set up as a PT for a reason, I might as well get an AR M+P 15/22 for the same reason. I will just switch out the optic, (Primary Arms 1-6 X 24 w/ARCS retical) I am using holdovers anyway!
Wow! OK, who ever started this thread...ya see what cha did?!!!!!!!

A 10/22 is the 1911 of rifles. Lots of stuff for them. Most of the aforementioned Remingtons have awful, non adjustable triggers. Guess it all depends on what you consider a good trigger to be. One of my 10/22s has a 3oz/3oz Kidd two stage. It is worth every penny of it's $290 cost. OTOH I just installed a Kidd trigger kit in another 10/22. I tweeked it a bit and got to 12 oz. This rifle is my Steel Challenge gun. A friend has one of these DPMS AR-15 AP4 A3 Flat-Top Conversion Upper Assembly 22 Long Rifle 1 He seems to be well pleased with it. Of course you will have to add this AR-15/M16 TWO-STAGE TRIGGERS | Brownells or this AR-15 NATIONAL MATCH 2-STAGE TRIGGER | Brownells I like the RRA.

The one I want is the Ishmash 7-2 Biathlon Basic in 22lr (also available in 22WMR). 5-rd mag, and toggle bolt similar to the Anschutz Fortnier action (but not the same). MT Guns in Santa Barbara offeres a Lyman/Redfield Peep sight option. Prices run from $300-900 depending on our state of diplomatic relations with Russia. The one I want is the SV-99 model which comes with scope, suppressor, and adjustable sight. Now if we can only get Obama and Putin to play nice.

Irish

That is one nice looking gun!

I put Tech-Sights on one of my 1022's, they are great peep sights.

I also have a couple of Hogue stocks, they are full size ambi stocks that address most of the problems with the Ruger stock, for about $60-70.

As too a threaded barrel, buy one or send yours out. Send it out and have it worked over and you will be a happy camper. (Chamber re-cut, new crown and bolt head spaced)

I spoke with a fellow at my local range a few weeks ago about his 22lr conversion for his AR15. It was a nice unit, well made, but did jam every now and then. I forget to ask about the accuracy, but he di seem to be hitting his tgt. It makes a good trainer but is probably not the best 22 rifle option. You do get to train with the exact same sight system and trigger. If I were to go that way, I would do the full upper conversion so that I did not have to worry about clogging the gas system of the CF gun with gunk from the 22 ammo. It costs more until you factor in the cost of a failure to fire at a critical moment.

Irish

My 10/22 is setup almost like you're wanting, excepting the threaded barrel. To do the stock change, trigger upgrade, lightweight barrel, front sight parts and rear sight parts, I think I'm close to $700.00 in mine. If you get a steel barrel rather than lightweight aluminum, you could probably save $100.00 ish and hit your <$600.00 mark.

Here's some decent info on a few different aperture sights for the 10/22: Ruger 10/22 Peep Sight Roundup | Garp

Look at Stockys for stock ,mine fits me well and I'm 6 feet: *NEW!* Eliminator Ruger 10/22 Pistol Grip Thumbhole Laminated Riflestock Right & Left Hand

Threaded lightweight barrel: Ruger Rifle Barrel Upgrades Archives » Tactical Solutions

Front sight setup: 93 MJT AR-15 & MATCH RIFLES TARGET FRONT SIGHT | Brownells
.922" barrel band: BARREL BAND | Brownells with the proper front sight base adapter.
front sight: 93 MJT AR-15 & MATCH RIFLES TARGET FRONT SIGHT | Brownells

Rear sight: FP-AG-Tk Receiver Sight w/Target Knob fits Airgun : FOOLPROOF-TK RECEIVER SIGHTS | Brownells

Trigger kit: Power Custom Competition Rifle Trigger Kit Ruger 10/22 (Hammer Sear

A couple of thoughts for your consideration:

Would a 15-22 performance center model work? They are a bit more expensive but I think they have what you need. I have one and really like it.

On the 10/22 side - have you looked at the 50th anniversary model of the 10/22? I think it has the features you are looking for. Here is a recent review.

Ruger 10/22 50th Anniversary Model - The Firearm Blog

Silver 78 hit it on the head, the 10/22 50th Anniversary Model looks like it has what you're looking for.

For far less than $600, you can turn all kinds of new .22's into whatever you want. The 10/22 would just be the easiest/have the most options.

Remington 511P, 512P + a thread job.

Remington 513T + a thread job.

Remington 521T + a thread job.

Remington 541X + a thread job.

Winchester 75T + a thread job.

And if any don't fit you'll likely can get an adjustable rear butt plate

What he said....also add the Mossberg M44 to the list

Ruger 50th edition, replace stock w/ a Houge, Boyds, whatever floats your boat.

Sir,
You do not say what the use of the rifle is. Nor your accuracy requirements. Training? Squirrel rifle? BR? Position shooting? Plinking?
No sound advice can be given without more information. BTW, Williams made a peep for the 10/22. Attached to the rear two screw holes. I did a great deal of areal shooting and running game shooting with one back in the 60's.

Silver 78 hit it on the head, the 10/22 50th Anniversary Model looks like it has what you're looking for.
Just got mine last week and so far I'm liking it a lot. Here's a pic with a TBAC 22L. I'm 6' and the stock fits me pretty good.
DSCN0568_zps3cc66629.jpg