• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm having a bad month

oldnewguy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2021
TX
About a month ago, I started having pain in my neck, and then my left shoulder. My muscles were really stiff, so I assumed that was the issue. After about a week, the pain was so bad that I went to the ER. They did an x-ray and just said it was arthritis in my neck. I called my RA doc and she gave me some gabapentin and an order for PT.

I went to PT, and in the process of evaluating me, she tore my *right* rotator cuff. Unbelievable. Then I had screaming pain in my neck and left shoulder, and my right shoulder.

I went to an ortho doc and he did x-rays on my right shoulder, neck and left shoulder. He told me I needed MRIs of neck and both shoulders. I showed the MRI reports to a friend who's a surgeon and he said was going to need surgery on my neck and right shoulder, but the neck was the priority. He sugarcoated it a little, but got me in to see a neurosurgeon the next day.

I saw the surgeon and I need a laminectomy and fusion on C2-T1. I'm getting a catscan on Monday and seeing the surgeon again on Wednesday to setup the surgery. He said I'll need to wait until sometime next year to fix the right shoulder. In the meantime, my spinal column is pushed against bone so closely at C2-C3, he told to be very careful. A trip and fall or car accident would be, in his words, catastrophic. I told my wife to drive safely on the way home, or she might be be wiping my ass for the next 20 years

On top of that, we had a family ski trip to Canada planned (and paid for). I'm trying to talk my daughter into going with my wife's family. I hate to ruin it for everyone.

And I know this is rididulous, but I just put together a new rifle and bought a bunch of reloading gear over Black Friday. I realize that it's not important, but it's just irritating that I don't even know when I'll be able to get behind a rifle again. If at all.

And the pain is so bad that I can't sleep. Which means my wife can't sleep. And on top of that, she's having to work and pick up the slack for me. I don't really have the personality to be waited on or to ask for help. I feel miserable for everyone.

TL;dR I'm screwed

Last edited:
About a month ago, I started having pain in my neck, and then my left shoulder. My muscles were really stiff, so I assumed that was the issue. After about a week, the pain was so bad that I went to the ER. They did an x-ray and just said it was arthritis in my neck. I called my RA doc and she gave me some gabapentin and an order for PT.

I went to PT, and in the process of evaluating me, she tore my *right* rotator cuff. Unbelievable. Then I had screaming pain in my neck and left shoulder, and my right shoulder.

I went to an ortho doc and he did x-rays on my right shoulder, neck and left shoulder. He told me I needed MRIs of neck and both shoulders. I showed the MRI reports to a friend who's a surgeon and he said was going to need surgery on my neck and right shoulder, but the neck was the priority. He sugarcoated it a little, but got me in to see a neurosurgeon the next day.

I saw the surgeon and I need a laminectomy and fusion on C2-T1. I'm getting a catscan on Monday and seeing the surgeon again on Wednesday to setup the surgery. He said I'll need to wait until sometime next year to fix the right shoulder. In the meantime, my spinal column is pushed against bone so closely at C2-C3, he told to be very careful. A trip and fall or car accident would be, in his words, catastrophic. I told my wife to drive safely on the way home, or she might be be wiping my ass for the next 20 years

On top of that, we had a family ski trip to Canada planned (and paid for). I'm trying to talk my daughter into going with my wife's family. I hate to ruin it for everyone.

And I know this is rididulous, but I just put together a new rifle and bought a bunch of reloading gear over Black Friday. I realize that it's not important, but it's just irritating that I don't even know when I'll be able to get behind a rifle again. If at all.

And the pain is so bad that I can't sleep. Which means my wife can't sleep. And on top of that, she's having to work and pick up the slack for me. I don't really have the personality to be waited on or to ask for help. I feel miserable for everyone.

TL:DR I'm screwed

That sucks, my neck is about like yours. C1&2 are fused naturally as are 6-7.

Those MRI's are amazing, did you get to look at yours?

Put a request in the prayer thread.

Reactions: oldnewguy
Gabapentin is garbage. Doctors and veterinarians give it out like candy but its crap.

I think you're right. The surgeon gave me muscle relaxers that are at least letting me get a little sleep.

Last edited:
That sucks, my neck is about like yours. C1&2 are fused naturally as are 6-7.

Those MRI's are amazing, did you get to look at yours?

Put a request in the prayer thread.

How limited are you because of your neck?

And, yeah, the MRI is pretty cool to see. The spinal cord was a little scary. But I like hearing the details and seeing the pictures. The night before having OPS I was watching YT videos of the same procedure. lol

Reactions: Jscb1b
See if your doc is hip to giving you some "flexeril".
It's a bad ass muscle relaxer, works a charm, but I do not know if it's obtainable these days.
Take 1 and about an hour later you're asleep for about 4 hours, wake up stoned to the bone for about 2 more hours...
Rinse and repeat.

That definitely sucks ass. I had the same thing from shit from Afghanistan, it finally got bad enough to where I needed surgery.

I had C3-T1 taken out, replaced and fused. It was a hell of a recovery. This all took place in 2020 when I was 42. After my surgery I developed seizures 5 weeks into my recovery.

That was the end to my Mil career at 15yrs.

The range of motion is horrible. I have about 35-40 degrees of movement before I have to turn my whole upper body to see something.

Gabapentin sucks ass. Doesn't do a fucking thing, as others have already said.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Doc

Maybe adjust the rifle to meet your needs. With the right cartridge, a suppressor or muzzle brake, and enough heft in the system, an infant could likely shoulder up to the rig and take the recoil. I have a 6mm that just doesn’t move. It may not be the rifle you envisioned, but I guarantee you can build a gun that will keep you on the range. Chin up, you’re still in the game!

I am not waiting to go to the prayer request thread.

God, please help this man with his problems and get him a speedy recovery. It is not always easy to see Your plan but thank you for the good things we have.

Amen.

I am not waiting to go to the prayer request thread.

God, please help this man with his problems and get him a speedy recovery. It is not always easy to see Your plan but thank you for the good things we have.

Amen.

I had cervical fusion in 2004, 3 vertebrae, and I was 100% as soon as I woke up. My left arm was so weak I couldn’t lift a glass before surgery, I lifted my doc off the floor with it when I woke up in recovery….he called it a success 😅

I feel ya bro, seems like when it rains it poors.

IMG_0220.jpeg

I feel for you. I'm a month out of my 3rd , yes three times, of abdominal surgery. Long story short....

6 years ago I apparently swallowed something that was on my food that stuck into my small intestine, though I didn't know it until it caused my small intestine to rip laterally when I picked my baby up out of the tub. So emergency surgery to cut out the section and reattach . Then, exactly a year later, scar tissue caused it to close up where they connected it back. (Surgey 2). Then a few months ago, I knew I was in trouble again. They did the surgery after many horrid "test/treatments " to try an avoid it. That was a month ago. An 8" cut right up the middle of your stomach . They found a small mass inside the small intestine as well as scar tissue closing it off again. The mass is not cancerous , but at this point, there's got to be a reason this keeps happening so I'm on the journey to find out why in hopes of preventing it again. I've had back surgery a few times and other surgeries and none of it even compares to how awful this is.

I hate to hear that anyone is going to have to do any surgery, BUT, I said all that to say. I'm ok now, I'm getting back at it and finishing my new loading room. Don't let anything stop you from doing what you love to do! You can get your issue fixed. I have 2 synthetic disk in my back. They can fix you, get it done and DO THE REHAB TO A TEE!!! You can do it and you can be shooting again before you know it. Don't let this crap get you down. It helps a whole lot if you know Jesus. I'd be more than happy to tell you about my relationship with Jesus Christ, or not, but don't let this crap get you down! Sometimes the only way forward is THROUGH! DO IT. Then get back to shooting and living life! I will pray for you bud.

That sucks man. I have lower back issues, thanks army, and some of the best therapy was aquatic therapy. Anyways, I feel ya not being able to sleep which cause wife to not sleep. Thats why I sleep in guest bed now. Lol. Hope all goes well with surgery and recovery. Stay positive as best as possible.

See if your doc is hip to giving you some "flexeril".
It's a bad ass muscle relaxer, works a charm, but I do not know if it's obtainable these days.
Take 1 and about an hour later you're asleep for about 4 hours, wake up stoned to the bone for about 2 more hours...
Rinse and repeat.

Flexeril works well for some and not at all for others. It worked for me when I was younger, but it did nothing for me the last two times I was prescribed it.

Gabapentin is garbage. Doctors and veterinarians give it out like candy but its crap.

Yup. Because pain docs they are being told "don't give real pain medicine because we need to make it look like we are doing something about the fentanyl crisis". Lyrica gives me wicked brain fog.

Yup. Because pain docs they are being told "don't give real pain medicine because we need to make it look like we are doing something about the fentanyl crisis". Lyrica gives me wicked brain fog.
Not true.
All you need to do is be diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic cancer.
I only need make a phone call and my morphine and oxycontin is miraculously refilled at the pharmacy 3 blocks up the street.
I don't take near as much as they say I should, but I always refill it right on time.....so I have extras just incase.
No one know what the future holds.....and if civil war does come into play, morphine will be a VERY lucrative commodity.
Yes my bug out bag is a thing of either dreams...or nightmares, depending on your perspective.

Lyrica, Gabapentin are both temporary reducers of perceived pain. Heck, so are narcotics. The idea is to make you more comfortable until you can get the surgery. Neck first and shoulder next. However, you are NOT fucked.
I had two levels fused in my neck. NO problem. I don't lift cement sacks anymore, but I can pay someone else to ruin his back instead of mine, anyway. I can still do anything I WANT to do.
Doing the PT that comes after your surgery will prevent having a stiff neck. I have near full range of motion. And the arm/shoulder pain (like sciatica only in your shoulder not your leg), disappeared immediately after surgery. A year later I was pulling a 70 Lb bow, no problem.
Hang tight, get through the surgery, do ALL the PT, and get ready for the shoulder repair. Good luck.

Thanks, @hankpac

And thank you all for the prayers, well wishes, and advice.

I'm feeling much better today. The wife and I both have slept the last two nights. I just needed a day to get my head around it all.

A few years ago I found out that i had an aortic aneurysm that was pulling my valve open. Not good. But I got the surgery, hit the ground running and worked my butt off. Surprised everyone with my recovery, and I'll do the same again. I think I just needed 24 hours to feel sorry for myself.

Thanks, @hankpac

And thank you all for the prayers, well wishes, and advice.

I'm feeling much better today. The wife and I both have slept the last two nights. I just needed a day to get my head around it all.

A few years ago I found out that i had an aortic aneurysm that was pulling my valve open. Not good. But I got the surgery, hit the ground running and worked my butt off. Surprised everyone with my recovery, and I'll do the same again. I think I just needed 24 hours to feel sorry for myself.
It takes some time to go through the process when you get big news, thats ok. Go do your thing man, you got this!

I wanted to add a quick update.

Today, I'm two weeks out from the neck surgery. Doc said everything went smooth, no issues. I got out of the cervical collar yesterday at my post-op visit.

The pain wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I spent two nights in the hospital, and the nerve block was still working when I went home. I was on opiods until day 7, when I realized my pain was almost all from muscle spasms. It took three different muscle relaxers to find the right one, but I really turned a corner once I got the spasms under control.

I start PT tomorrow, and I have a feeling it's going to be a process. Part of my left hand is still numb, and there's no way I could lift 5lbs over my head. It takes both hands to take a gallon of milk out of the fridge, and i can't wash my hair or put on a t-shirt. But everything considered, I feel good. I'm pushing myself and every day is a little better than the day before.

And lastly, I came to a compromise with the neurosurgeon and shoulder doc, and my rotator cuff surgery is March 20. So, I've got that to look forward to...

I had my rotator cuff done on March 20, and everything went great. I was never in a left of pain or discomfort. I have a pretty high pain tolerance anyway, but so far the shoulder has been a breeze. I started PT about ten days after surgery and I'm ahead of schedule on my flexibility, etc.

But the neck and left arm are still VERY slow going. I feel like I'm doing a marathon, but on my hands and knees. I can take a shower, wash my hair and get dressed. But not a whole lot more than that. My biggest accomplishment is that I can touch the top of my head with my left hand. Although I can get a gallon of milk out of the fridge with my left arm. And the numbness and tingling is down to just end of my left index finger and thumb. It's so frustrating that I can't push or work my way through it. It's just going to take a lot of time and patience and sticking to my PT.

Not true.
All you need to do is be diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic cancer.
I only need make a phone call and my morphine and oxycontin is miraculously refilled at the pharmacy 3 blocks up the street.
I don't take near as much as they say I should, but I always refill it right on time.....so I have extras just incase.
No one know what the future holds.....and if civil war does come into play, morphine will be a VERY lucrative commodity.
Yes my bug out bag is a thing of either dreams...or nightmares, depending on your perspective.
In my late teen years, my parents moved further out to a quiet small resort community of weekend lake houses or people that didn't mind the daily commute. There was virtually zero crime, doors and vehicles were left unlocked and I always just left the key in my truck ignition.

With growth and developement the area became more populated and crime went up. It became a shit magnet for wannabe dopers/musicians and other lake trash. Anybody that had surgery or the elderly were vulnerable targets because it was assumed they had medication, specifically oxycontin..

I worried for my mom because she later lived alone and it wasn't the same rural area she had moved out to thirty years earlier and she was prescribed a lot of meds including oxycontin for past surgeries and the usual senior madadies.

A neighbor lady who had major dental surgery came home to find another neighbor lady stuck in her doggy door in her garage because she learned she had surgery and most likely had oxycontin.

So yeah, oxycontin, morphine, Xanax, all those mood drugs, will be a huge bargaining commodity if things go further south.

• Wow
Reactions: Ronws
In my late teen years, my parents moved further out to a quiet small resort community of weekend lake houses or people that didn't mind the daily commute. There was virtually zero crime, doors and vehicles were left unlocked and I always just left the key in my truck ignition.

With growth and developement the area became more populated and crime went up. It became a shit magnet for wannabe dopers/musicians and other lake trash. Anybody that had surgery or the elderly were vulnerable targets because it was assumed they had medication, specifically oxycontin..

I worried for my mom because she later lived alone and it wasn't the same rural area she had moved out to thirty years earlier and she was prescribed a lot of meds including oxycontin for past surgeries and the usual senior madadies.

A neighbor lady who had major dental surgery came home to find another neighbor lady stuck in her doggy door in her garage because she learned she had surgery and most likely had oxycontin.

So yeah, oxycontin, morphine, Xanax, all those mood drugs, will be a huge bargaining commodity if things go further south.
It's not my intent to infer I would ever have something of mine fall into a junkies hands.

I was referring more to those that might catch a bullet or shrapnel unintentionally.
Not much hurts more than a glowing hot chunk of metal in a part of your body that was not previously occupied by such.

One of the first things that come up short are med supplies in times of war.
You can probably google that if you feel the need.
Specifically antibiotics, anti inflammatories, pain killers....the things you need after a hot lead injection.