• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Im looking for a 6.8mm bolt action, any ideas?

I1-2 Rogue

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2013
G'day, i have been trying to find a good heavy barrel 6.8mm bolt action. All i can find available here in Australia is the Remington SPS. Has anyone got one or know where i can find one.?

Could you please be a little more specific in the cartridge you a looking at? Are you looking for a 6.8 SPC in a bolt gun, or are you looking for something like a winchester .270?

remington makes a 700 in what they called a lightwieght tactical rifle...it was not an LTR. It had a smaller barrel diameter and a bluish grey stock. I had one that I killed a bunch of deer with...It appears you can get an LTR in 6.8 as well

I have a little Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 6.8spc great little rifle. Not a heavy barrel but you could rebarrel it. Ruger and Remington are your only choices for factory 6.8 bolt guns. You could have a Savage bolt face opened up and have a barrel made though.

Other than lower BC and less velocity than a myriad of other chamberings that can fit in a short action, why?

A few guys on the 68Forums are working on a barrel and bolt to convert a Stevens 200 or Savage 11 style rifle to 6.8. Harrison at ARP has the barrel worked out with the correct specs, another member is getting the bolts machined right. The only issue after those are done is the mag system. Savage just came out with a new .308, model 10TR, your dealer should be able to get one for around $450, that rifle would be a perfect host and when it was converted, you would have about the same $$ into it as the shotty spec-ed remy.

Confirmed orders for savage 6.8 SPC II

For now the remy and Ruger is your only "off the shelf" option, even with the wrong chambers, being a bolt gun you can still get some decent numbers from SPCII and handloads. I would keep up with the progess on the Stevens/Savage project before finding a remy...

Other than lower BC and less velocity than a myriad of other chamberings that can fit in a short action, why?

More like why not, the 6.8 is a great round. Much more performance than a 5.56 with not much more recoil, holds close to the same capacity and has a large amount of industry support. For ammo, there are several factory loads that are in stock and around $20/box. Hell, wally world even has the new Federal Fusion 6.8 ammo.

While much more popular in a AR15 type setup, people are starting to want it in a bolt gun...

Here is that 700 tactical I was talking about...

Attachments

• 6.8.jpg
    6.8.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 35
  • 6.8 2.jpg
    6.8 2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 51
.270 Win is 7mm...

? 270 is .277 or 6.8mm, .284 is 7mm. On the bright side, I have a 36" 6.8 5R blank. I'm thinking about seeing what kind of velocity a .270 will get out of it (or maybe 6.8x43) then cutting it down an inch at a time and document velocity loss. Or maybe for the first time in my life, finish one of my other million projects before I start another pointless one.

? 270 is .277 or 6.8mm, .284 is 7mm.

Actually, .277" is 7.035mm. I'm guessing they called it a 6.8 as not to confuse people.

Indeed .284" is 7.2mm, again, called 7mm as not to confuse people.

I didn't know the 6.8 used .277" bullets, thanks for the lesson :)

Actually, .277" is 7.035mm. I'm guessing they called it a 6.8 as not to confuse people.

Indeed .284" is 7.2mm, again, called 7mm as not to confuse people.

I didn't know the 6.8 used .277" bullets, thanks for the lesson :)

No problem, thank you.

More like why not, the 6.8 is a great round. Much more performance than a 5.56 with not much more recoil, holds close to the same capacity and has a large amount of industry support. For ammo, there are several factory loads that are in stock and around $20/box. Hell, wally world even has the new Federal Fusion 6.8 ammo.

While much more popular in a AR15 type setup, people are starting to want it in a bolt gun...

I get that the fascination bleeds over from the AR fetishists but I don't see any marked advantage outside an AR magwell.
That is unless you were using a small action like a mini Mauser or a Sako.
In a standard action, I see no advantage.
I'd also be shocked if the OP could pick up a box of Federal Fusion in OZ.

To the OP, your best bet is to have one built.
I think that building one on a locally procured action with a good .277 barrel would be more cost effective than unicorn hunting a rifle imported from the US, YMMV.

I know GA Precision can spin up 6.8 barrels. Given its extremely light recoil and proven effectiveness on medium game inside 300yds, I think it is the perfect cartridge for a lightweight GP hunting rifle. I've been considering building one on a Rem model 7 action with a model 7 mcwoody stock & a 17" #3 Bartlein barrel.

A 6.8 hunting story from down-under. The OP also has several other interesting 6.8 hunting threads on the forum.
When ghosts colide. graphic pics

Good luck.