• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors I'm looking for a set of quality 1911 grips.

smack

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2003
North Central Washington
I'm currently having Clark Custom completely work over a Springfield Champion for me. The slide will be finished in black and the frame in flat dark earth. I would like a grip with a aggressive surface preferably in digital desert or multi color earth tone, something to complement the dark earth frame.

Re: I'm looking for a set of quality 1911 grips.

I prefer VZ Grips. However, for your color pattern prefs, I guess you could have someone duracoat them for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer VZ Grips. However, for your color pattern prefs, I guess you could have someone duracoat them for you. </div></div>

+1 Nothing beats VZs. I've had a set on my parkerized 1911 for years, and I intend to throw a set on my stainless one soon.

Click for larger image if desired.

Gunner grips are about as aggressive as any I've seen

http://www.simonichknives.com/gunner.htm

They come in Black, Green/Black, Coyote and OD. Hopefully something would come close.

I'm pretty sure Alumagrips also made some in Digital Desert Camo. I just can't find them on their website. If you call Chris Lynch he might have a set or two left (or be able to tell you my memory sucks)

I had a set of Pachmyr rubber wraparounds on my Gold Cup. They had a steel plate backer panel as a safety feature. Our team adopted them as a safety feature. A friend blew his 1911 up when a cartridge ruptured, and it blew several cartridges in the top of the mag as well. His Pachmyr grip backer plates protected him from hand injury.

You can make up, or have made up, some steel backer plates for whatever grips you eventually choose, and I strongly urge all to incorporate this additional safety feature into their grip selections.

Greg

I'm sold on VZ's, I have <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Aliens</span>Gatorbacks on my Kimber Custom and Operators on my SA Micro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chuck Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunner grips are about as aggressive as any I've seen

http://www.simonichknives.com/gunner.htm

They come in Black, Green/Black, Coyote and OD. Hopefully something would come close.

I'm pretty sure Alumagrips also made some in Digital Desert Camo. I just can't find them on their website. If you call Chris Lynch he might have a set or two left (or be able to tell you my memory sucks) </div></div>

gunner grips all the way, but when you call to order ask if any of the original style grips are in stock. they have a much sharper pattern to them.

VZ alliens on Ultra CDP. Love um.

SA ltweight Operator on the left VZ tiger striped.

Gunner grips are nice and tacky feeling, inexpensive and come in a variety of colors. Thumbs up for the golf ball pattern

VZ for synthetic, Esmerelda for wood

I have the Carbon Creations checkered grips. They are a bit pricy, but look really trick. The G10 or agressive micarta probably offers better grip.
I just love carbon fiber.

not a good pic...
DSCF0085.jpg

I always wanted a set of gunner grips, but after not being certain if they were going to be the weird oval patterned ones that strider was making for them, I just decided to get the Nighthawk G10 golfball grips. (Gunner clone.) They're pretty darn good, but expensive.

Does anyone know if they still make the gunners the old way? If so, are the gunner grips on Brownells, the ovals or golfball?

I plan on building up a frame for my .22lr TacSol pistol and want it to be as close to my MC Operator.

MC Operator with Nighthawk G10 Golfball grips.
Operator_GunnerGrips_Low.jpg

MC Operator .22lr kit with Pachmayr wrap around grips.
2211_Sideview_1.jpg

I run the Pachmayr wraparound grips with the mag release cutout. They are not as pretty as the cocobolo Colt Medallion grips they replaced, but my Commander is a carry tool, not a showpiece.

The texture of the Pachmayr is rough enough for a good grip without ripping up your side, shirts or auto interiors. This is a BIG concern if you carry your handgun.

I was thinking about a set of 10-8 grips, but my front strap is not checkered so the pachmayr works better. Plus there is just something classic about them. They are what the Marine Corps used on the MEU(SOC) 1911 and I loved those guns.

Get you a set of Jerry Barnhardt's Burner grips. They are grey but you can't beat them. Ergo makes some decent grips too that come in those wonderful earthy colors.