• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

I'm looking to buy a entry level semi-automatic

Don-n-Texas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2011
Houston now in Denton County
I'm looking to buy a entry level semi-automatic rifle. One that will shoot accurate out to 400 yds maybe 600 yds.

I'm not sure if I want 5.56x45 or 308/7.62.

I want one I can take out of the box and go shoot or install a scope and go shoot.
I want one that's a good platform but not a lot of extras. That I can trick out myself.

I've been looking at the DPMS Panthers Plus the Remington R15 and R25

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/advanced...mp;inc_subcat=1

I know if I don't go with R15 or R25 I want to put this stock on it.

MAGPUL PRECISION RIFLE/SNIPER STOCK-AR15/M16 MODEL

I like the Panther but I think the R15 and R25 is better. I really don't know. Maybe you guys can steer me to another platform.

Another one I like is the Bushmaster AR-15 Rifles M4A3 for $1,100.00

I would like to stay under $1,500.00

Thank you for your advice.

Re: I'm looking to buy a entry level semi-automatic

+1 Love my Rock River, have had no problems with it and it shoots 0.5 MOA.

I was thinking how I could ever buy a Rock River fire arm and Class 3 weapons is about 10 miles from me. So I'll stop by and check them out. Good Prices too.

Now I need to figure out which caliber to get.

But it will be 6 months to a year before I actually buy one. I really shop and gather information. When I walk in to buy I know exactly what I want and how much I'll pay.

-Don

I have a RRA in 5.56 and I love it, highly recommend them. My ar10 is a armalite lower with a noveske upper, havent finished it yet so I can't comment on how it shoots, but quality wise it looks and feels fantastic. But for an entry level weapon that won't let you down you can't go wrong with RRA.

You have a lot of choices under $1,500 in both platforms, but that amount of cash will get you a lot further in the AR15 platform.

$1500, I would build my own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$1500, I would build my own.</div></div>

Did you miss the part where he said "I want one I can take out of the box and go shoot or install a scope and go shoot." lol...

M1a, loaded model.

Colt makes a popular AR (models 6920/6940) and has very good customer service as I understand it. Daniel Defense makes another quality product both of which fall into your price range. RRA is another popular entry to mid-level producer of AR's that I would not hesitate to look at ( I actually did before going off and spending twice the money on a Noveske). Good luck on your search and remember the ever important mantra "Buy once, cry once".

If you shoot in East Texas the winds may not be bad enough to make shooting @ 600 kinda dodgy with .224 bullets.

Do you load? Shooting in competition? If so, you can load up some heavy VLD .224 bullets quite nicely in an AR15 platform that will have nice downrange performance in challenging conditions.

Otherwise, if you're extending shots to 600 in wind that can be rough, or you're looking for terminal performance on game past 400, then you should think about the .308 solution.

There are so many 5.56 AR platforms out there, that you can find a real bargain there. The market is pretty saturated, so there is stiff competition. If you are willing to do a little work and buy used, you can find some absolutely smoking deals. The longer, heavier barrel 5.56 AR platforms aren't real popular right now, everybody wants an M4 clones and other carbine set ups (me included). So you can find the target stuff cheap. I have seen several 20" bull barrel AR uppers for $500ish new and $400ish used. Lowers have been selling for under $300 (usually $250) here in Phoenix, AZ. That is hard to beat for the money.
I have an 18" WOA barrled upper (Vltor upper, Troy rail) and absolutely love it.

As for the .308. The DPMS & Remington are the same gun with different features (namely the camo dip finish). Get the one you like. The LR-308 are pretty cheap as well. I have seen a bunch selling for $1K.

Thank to everyone for their time and input. I went by Class 3 Weapons today and looked at the Rock River Arms rifles. I must say I was really impressed.

I really Like the LAR-15 A4 Varmint and the LAR-8 A4 Varmint. RRA advertizes 3/4 MOA for the .223 and 1 MOA for the .308 that's pretty strong.

And BCP they're both SS Bull Barrels.

Rchman Your right and I'll look at everything before I buy.

Lazy21 I looking into that too, But 3/4 to 1 MOA I'm not sure I could put one together one that good.

Broker That's a big PLUS for RRA.lol

Boltstop Yes I reload. And I already shoot a Remington 700 SPS .308 And that's a Plus for going .308.

And on the Gulf Coast we have wind But not as much as up on the Plains.

What I like so for is the LAR-15 A4 Varmint .223 with the 20" SS Bull Barrel. But that may change tomorrow.

Can you paint SS barrels? I would like to get it painted Matte Black If I could.

Thanks again for everyone's time and input.

-Don

For $1500 you should consider the Larue PredatAR Link
That is the best bang for you buck that you are going to get with your budget.
18" Stainless Barrel
Billet Upper and Lower
Geissele Trigger
Chrome BCG
Mid Length Gas System

You would be hard pressed to build a similar rifle for that $ amount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you paint SS barrels? I would like to get it painted Matte Black If I could. </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2031998

SGT ROSS, is a TX guy, he can coat the barrel for you. Cerakoting is the way... takes a beating. IMO

Of course you can rattle can to, but the longevity isn't there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you paint SS barrels? I would like to get it painted Matte Black If I could. </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2031998

SGT ROSS, is a TX guy, he can coat the barrel for you. Cerakoting is the way... takes a beating. IMO

Of course you can rattle can to, but the longevity isn't there. </div></div>

Thanks Inogame No I didn't want the rattle can.

This is perfect. My brother lives in Flower Mound.

Our lease buddy lives in Keller. When I decide which SS bull barrel I want it will no problem dropping it off and picking it up.

lol This forum is great. One post and you y'all solve all my problems.

I have no doubt I'll get a very good rifle, just like I want with everyone's help.

-Don

I have an RRA 20" bull. It is the most accurate AR I own but it is also stupid heavy. Like I said think about an 18" SPR sort of setup, it will be almost as accurate and weigh a lot less.

Just prepare yourself, Don...

I started out with a simple bushy carbine, then started looking into a long range/hunting rig.

I found the hide mid 2009, joined up in '10, now several thousand dollars later I have no bushy carbine, a GAP Precision AR (old style), noveske midlength, US Optics glass... and an empty house since the girl left me(not sure if my rifle purchases had anything to do with it, lol)... still no bolt action, but give me a few months to fix that.

This is just the beginning brother...

LOL I know I know I started out with Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 Package deal rifle, scope, sling, and case for $600.00. Then Joined this site and spent over $2,000.00.

And now I'm looking at buying this rifle. lol

BCP There's a gun smith here in town that does that. I'll look into getting that done when he threads my barrel.

No semi 308 out to 500 yards is an "entry level" at $1500. You need to stick with 5.56. That said, $1,500 is a good budget for 5.56, I'd look for a cherry used Colt 20". Or a BCM or Noveske upper (18 or 20) and any decent complete lower for under $300, like S&W.

ETA: no disrespect to those who've made them work, but "friends don't let friends buy cheap ARs," like DPMS and its many cohorts
smile.gif

CMMG mid length 16" is by far the best bang for the buck AR going, IMNTBHO.
wink.gif

Oh yeah, and definitely look at Larue.

As far as CMMG, my personal experience puts them in the same category as DPMS. Buy once, cry once. If your budget is $1,500 you have a lot of good options. If your budget were under $800, I still wouldn't recommend cheap; instead I'd recommend saving until you can buy right. Kinda like guys who are looking at a Savage Edge/Axis, or a Remington 770. Wouldn't you recommend they save a little and buy right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BCP There's a gun smith here in town that does that. I'll look into getting that done when he threads my barrel. </div></div>

If you've got $$$ and time it is worth doing it yourself. Just search around online for various guides etc, it isn't difficult. Also I highly doubt you're the first person in Houston to consider building your own AR so if you do hit a snag finding a good buddy to help you out shouldn't be a problem.

If you know what parts you want you can go through a place like Rainier Arms or ADCO, and have them assemble it for you. If you talk to them on the phone they will probably even walk you through it and make suggestions.

Don,

I started out with RRA and I have owned their 16", 18" and 20" Varmint uppers on the RRA NM lower. These rifles shot very well. When you get to the 20" Varmint, the rifles start to get heavy, especially when you add a bipod and optics.

I still feel the best set up I had was the 16" Varmint. This was a tack driver, no difference in accuracy between the three lengths, at least not for me, maybe for others, good balance, and just fun to shoot.

I have moved on from RRA's but I do wish I still had that 16" set up. If I had to do it again, RRA NM lower, 16" Varmint upper, Harris bipod, Magpul CTR stock, USOptics 1-6 scope or Nightforce 2.5-10 scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">snip

Can you paint SS barrels? I would like to get it painted Matte Black If I could.
snip

</div></div>

IIRC, stainless will only reliably take paints when bead-blasted. This isn't particularly expensive and may be a good approach if you decide you want stainless and painted.

I saw a Sig 516 Patrol for $1139 at last week's Dallas Gun Show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah, and definitely look at Larue.

As far as CMMG, my personal experience puts them in the same category as DPMS. Buy once, cry once. If your budget is $1,500 you have a lot of good options. If your budget were under $800, I still wouldn't recommend cheap; instead I'd recommend saving until you can buy right. Kinda like guys who are looking at a Savage Edge/Axis, or a Remington 770. Wouldn't you recommend they save a little and buy right? </div></div>

Man, where are you guys getting this? I built a Mega AR (upper and lower) with inexpensive YHM free-float tube and an Ace skeleton stock/Wilson 16" CL barrel, and it's never failed to feed, fire or eject in thousands of rounds. It's sub MOA accurate and stupidly reliable. I spent $835 seven years ago, and if I had to build it again it would be even cheaper due to the competition in the marketplace driving prices down.

You know, you guys CAN spend less than 2X what I spent and still get a nice rifle. Try not to pump the costliest solution to every question a new shooter has in some giant manhood/budget-measuring contest.
crazy.gif

I almost bought a 20" DPMS Tac-20 heavy barrel with quad off GA for $1250 last week. After thinking it through, I found a group buy on Mega MA-TEN combos and a smoking deal at SI defense on 20" sass barrels and troy battle-rails on sale so my build is in the mail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah, and definitely look at Larue.

As far as CMMG, my personal experience puts them in the same category as DPMS. Buy once, cry once. If your budget is $1,500 you have a lot of good options. If your budget were under $800, I still wouldn't recommend cheap; instead I'd recommend saving until you can buy right. Kinda like guys who are looking at a Savage Edge/Axis, or a Remington 770. Wouldn't you recommend they save a little and buy right? </div></div>Just from your experience since I'm sure you've owned and shot just about all these rifles, what was your CMMG like? I've got a 16" mid length, and I can tell you I'll put it along side any Spikes, Stag, DD, RR, DPMS, LMT, Armalite, or any other basic model AR, especially for the price. <span style="font-style: italic">Any</span> of them. I wouldn't own a LaRue. Price aside, it's as good as any of them, and I defy you to point out a single feature that says it's not, apples for apples, especially one that justifies a significant price difference.
Just to be clear...I have an LMT MRP, I've had a Stag, I've built two RR Entry Tacticals, and fired hundreds of rounds through a DDM4 and a DPMS. I build all my own lowers from bare receivers.
Here's my CMMG. Bought the upper, installed the railed gas block and hand guards and built the lower. Out of all of them except the MRP, this is my favorite. It's nothing special. It'll shoot sub moa (just) if I do my part, but it's not a target rifle, either. It's as solid as they get. The fit and finish is second to none, and the parts are all quality and meet the same specs everyone else's rifles meet. I don't buy them to stick in the safe and brag to my friends how much they cost. You're better off spending less on the rifle, more on ammo, and getting to the range and actually learning to shoot. Wear out an inexpensive rifle. Then, <span style="font-style: italic">maybe</span> you can justify buying a more expensive, more accurate, fancier rifle.

00350.JPG

I built an AR out of mostly new DPMS parts for around $600. Over 1k rounds of Federal 5.56 and a few hundred of cheap Wolf later, not one malfunction and it's a sub-MOA rifle. I can ring a 10" gong at 400m 100% of the time. Of course, results will vary based on shooter skill.

I would never say you can't build a cheaper AR out of parts, but the OP says he wants this: "I want one I can take out of the box and go shoot or install a scope and go shoot."

Now, what has been my personal experience with cheaper guns? Out of spec chamber and/or gas port diameter and/or incorrect gas block install, failure to stake carrier key or castle nut, canted FSB (pervasive)...resulting in a big waste of time and ammo cost in testing and shipping.

So, I would NEVER recommend less than what some disparagingly term "top tier" ARs to someone who wants to plug-n-play, and NOT to fiddle around fixing. Of course some have bought cheaper guns, run them hard, and found them to hold up...but I consider that rolling the dice.

Many Thanks to everyone. I have looked at the DPMS Panthers, LaRue,Smith and Wesson,Colt, Rock River,and the LWRC.

I've also considered building one. With my background I know I could put it together.

I'm almost exclusively a bench rest shooter. lol I'm on a deer lease with my brother, But I've never shot anything. I have a Remington 700 .270 I carry so I'll have a rifle like everyone else. I just bought that and he bought 700 30-06. Before that we both borrowed rifles from the friend that got us on the lease.

I think one of the Bull Barrel Ar's would fit my target shooting. Weight is not a big problem for me. I would just be carrying it to the range.

I think for the first one I'll buy a complete ready to shoot rifle.

And you know there will always be a next one. I'll build it.

Another thing to think about Don is a custom built gun from one of the Hide vendors, their are a few on here that build ARs.

Scottmilk9 owns Specialized Dynamics and is one of the Hide vendors that builds ARs, he is building me a .264lbc (6.5 Grendel) right now.

I'm yet to recieve my rifle yet so I can't comment first hand or post any groups yet, but everything I've read here on the Hide says Scott makes some fine shooting rifles.

Also going this direction you can get exactally what you want and it's not that much more than you would have spent on the mass produced guns your looking at.

Just a thought.

Also he has group buys going on all the time, one right now for a .17 Rem or .223 upper, it's in the Group Buy section.

Shoot Scott a PM or give him a call and he'll set you up right.

If you ever want to do both big game and small game hunting, you would do better to buy a 308. A M1A SOCOM is hard to beat short handy and will handle all the game in the good U.S.A.
You can get them anywhere for $1500.00 or less

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: racer364</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any experience with the Lewis Machine & Tool AR's?
</div></div>

I've never owned one but I've heard nothing but good about them.

They are one of the very good AR builders, I dout you would be disapointed with a LMT AR.

Well, it looks like we have developed yet another commonality with our arfcom brothers. Most of our membership seems to own CHEAP sub moa ar's.
wink.gif

okie

My eyes suck...but for the ranges above 300 plus yards..maybe a M1Garand..or something else in a 308 will give you better range.

I've been looking at everyone's suggestion online and at gun stores around town.

I miss a gun show up in Conroe this weekend. But we get a gun show every few months. I got a list of what I what to see, touch, and hold.

I'll make a few gun shows and look them over.

There are some really nice AR's out there and I'm going to get one.

RRA Varmint. I have a operator 2 in 556 that will shoot .5MOA 3 group shots at 50yds. It's rated by RRA to guarantee 1 MOA. The Varmint has a SS barrel in 16, 18, and 20" models, and is guaranteed .75 MOA. It's the best gun if you want to do precision work under $1300 sans scope.

If I was you I would put the lower together myself and have the upper assembled by the barrel manufacture. I was just looking on gun broker and C3 Defense is selling out 262 billet lower receivers of an old design they will no longer be using that is where I would start. Or if you are looking to save money just look around and buy a used gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=238709671

Since you are wanting to shoot distance, I would get a 24"heavy barrel or bull barrel. I would plan on spending a little extra $ and putting in a Timney trigger (or something better than factory, the RRA NM trigger is good also and less $). Since you are a few months out, start looking online for used or get with someone to build one for you. The RRA's and Bushy's shoot great. I would personally go with a AR10 for 600+. DPMS 308's shoot great, haven't shot the RRA or Bushy 308's. There are a lot of good deals out there for your budget. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Contact SGTRoss. If you are interested in having it coated, you should also consider having him build the whole thing. He's a good guy and will definitely take care of you.

Build, dont buy. There are enough group buys between forums you can pick up a Mega MA-Ten receiver set and barrel off here and piece together what you need/want from there. RRA 2 stages are known to loose their 2nd stages after a couple thousand rounds...new Geissele S2S should be about the same price but offer considerably more performance