• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors I'm new to suppressors and need advice

duggar_33

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
TX
I have a .308 bolt gun and I want to make it as quite as possible, but maintain accuracy. I was looking at the AAC Cyclone, because I like the price. What do y'all recommend?

Re: I'm new to suppressors and need advice

You're in Texas so Shark Suppressors is an easy suggestion. Buy once and do it right.

For the money, it would be hard to beat the Cyclone.

I would like to keep it under $1,000.

If I understand it right Ti is just to reduce weight and I only shoot prone or from a bench. So I don't think I have a need for Ti.

I'm happy with my Cyclone but the saying "buy once, cry once" is more true then most noob's know. It was for me at least. Wish I would've listened.

You wont be disappointed with the Cyclone. Minimal shift, not to heavy, and tough as nails in my opinion. You will want to contact RO for a mirage shield, after about ten rounds the mirage is a pain.

I just got the AWC Thunder trap and can't be happier, when I was shopping for a can I almost went with the Yankee hill but decided to spend the extra dough. Also super quiet as well, I was shooting next to a guy with a Yankee hill and the Thunder trap was much quieter. Since you have to wait for the stamp might as well buy a can that is exceptional quality. You don't want to go thru the wait to be dissapointed. Plus the price difference usually is only a couple hundred at most.

The Cyclone is a top quality suppressor for sure. The latest revision is a lot lighter weight than the model of just a couple years ago. Back when the Cyclone was heavier it also had a different baffle stack. It was more comparable in weight and sound performance to the SWR Omega-30 at that point but the Omega beat the Cyclone in POI shift. When AAC put the Cyclone on a diet they also changed the baffle stack. The latest model is quieter, typically has little POI shift and is only 22.4 oz.

The Omega is still a good suppressor though and worthy of consideration.

AAC also has the Cyclone-K model. It is a little shorter (8.25" compared to 9.5" for the Cyclone) and lighter (18.5 oz). It is a bit louder but sound more like the AAC 762-SD fast-attach suppressor.

The Ops Inc 12th Model is another model I suggest considering. It is neither a "fast-attach" nor a thread-mount offering. It is more of a hybrid. It uses a muzzle brake for the front part of the mount and a rear collar locks the suppressor tight to the weapon. Unlike many "fast-attach" suppressors the Ops products do not leak any gas around the mount area. The Ops mounting system keeps the suppressor rock solid on the host and the POI shift of the Ops stuff is amazing (meaning typically little if any). Ops Inc products rank among my favorites for sure.

Lastly, I strongly second the suggestion of contacting Rifles Only to get a suppressor wrap. They (Tony Burke) will custom make what you need based on the measurements of the suppressor. Tony is a stand-up guy for sure. I don't ever drag my precision rifles to the range without my suppressor wraps.

Mark

Wow, thanks Bookhound and everyone else. I will be getting with Rifles Only for sure.

The Cyclone is a top notch can.

Its spooky quiet with Subsonic ammo and its very light. compared to many of its competitors.

i think that the ops requires major cutting on the barrel(several inches back), and i don't think i'm ready to do that.

i think i'm leaning towards the cyclone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think that the ops requires major cutting on the barrel(several inches back), and i don't think i'm ready to do that. </div></div>

Yes, you are correct. That is the slight downside to the Ops products or something like the AAC SCAR-H SD, SureFire SS, etc. or anything else that is a reflex design. You need some extra barrel profiling to install the mounts. You don't have that issue with a direct thread-mount suppressor or some fast-attach designs.

You'll like the Cyclone a lot.

Mark

No doubt, the Cyclone is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of suppression, weight, and size. And if you only want to use it on your one bolt gun then it is a great choice. But it's not as convenient as a quick detach can.

Gem-Tech has really solved the first round pop with their HVT. But it is pretty heavy.

I ended up choosing the newest AAC 762SD. I found it had the right mix of performance, price, size, weight, and convenience that I was looking for.

YHM cans are cheap, but they are also big and loud.

If the 762SD had been available 8-10 years ago, I wouldn't have bought my first generation M4-2000. The 762SD will work great on 5.56mm weapons as well - so you can just buy one rifle can and shoot everything from .223 through .30 caliber through it.

I would become a member of Silencer Research if you are serious about finding the best one. John Titsworth is an independent evaluator and did a 2008 .30 caliber test of eleven major brand suppressors.

Some are hearing safe and others are not. AAC has the most marketing (and trash talking) of any manufacturer out there and the Website SilencerTalk is owned by them so don't expect unbiased product evaluations.

Gemtech and AAC are probably the most stocked suppressor brands, but there are some out there that may offer better value or sound reduction depending on what you are looking for. In my opinion it is worth spending the $30 to see the results of the test because dealers will often talk up how good the one that has been on their shelf for a year or two is to get it out of their store.

I personally own an HTG M-30A, which is well under $1000 and does excellent on .308 down to .22. It has not yet been evaluated by Silencer Research but my own experience is positive.

Any suppressor is a major investment in time and money, so it would be good to know you made the most informed decision you can while you wait 6 months for the paperwork to come back before you get to try it out.

The problem with the Silencer Research test is that it's a sample of what was available to him at the time. No Ops Inc, SF, AWC, AAC SCAR HD, Shark, SAS can was in that test. All those mentioned should do well in the comparison, except for maybe the SF, which from all I have ever heard from is a pretty loud can.

Thank, for all the info. The last few post were a little late, I already purchased the Cyclone. I think it will be a excellent can for the amount I spent.