• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes I'm pretty new to scopes and have a question

Nutro

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
Austin, Texas
All things considered:

Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50 (Used)

SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP (New)

Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite Tactical 30mm FFP with Illuminated BRT-Mil Reticle

Which one for a budget conscious MEGA MKM .308 rifle with a 20" Match barrel?

I usually hit the 100yd range and on occasion would like to TRY to hit out to 600-1000

Even though I don't constantly shoot out far, I guess I have crappy eyes, I love bigger scopes than needed. I'm silly like that I guess.

Any other suggestions for around $800?

Last edited:
Are you hunting or moving/shooting actively? If stationary target shooting I'd suggest the 6-24. I don't take mine off 24x when target shooting, but hunting or moving around 6x is too much for me.

I would go with the SS 3-15. That is plenty of power. I like smaller lighter lower power scopes for the most part. Even more so when shooting at 700 and lower. You can shoot out to 1K easy with 10X.

But it really all depends on what kind of shooting your gonna do. For field type shooting like hunting and stuff I like a 2.5-10 or a 3-15 range. I have 42x, 32X,and 22X scopes and they are really good for what I bought them for but usually overkill. I feel like you are just going to burn your eye out for nothing using all that power. I started out thinking you had to have a lot of mag but several years ago I leaned that you can do everything I was doing (plus more) with a whole lot less power. Are you going to hunt with it, matches, just range shooting? That might help people narrow down you list

Good luck with it and ask till your are comfortable with what you are getting.

I think the people saying that high magnification doesn't help are usually wrong, unless the targets are large.

That said, I think the 3-15 is your best choice because if I had to give up the 15-24x for the 3-6, I would every time. That's not to say that 24x isn't better than 15x for certain things, but the lowest power is more important than the highest power most of the time.

Yeah, go out in low light times with a high power scope or in realy heavy mirage and let me know how you like all that mag. Or lets scan for targets or track moving targets. When you really start to shoot in true field conditions you will realize that a lot of power is a handicap. Not a blessing.

If your just at the range and stuff then its not an issue. Move off that range and go to where you don't know what could happen and a 2.5-10/3-15 really starts to shine.

Yeah, go out in low light times with a high power scope or in realy heavy mirage and let me know how you like all that mag. Or lets scan for targets or track moving targets. When you really start to shoot in true field conditions you will realize that a lot of power is a handicap. Not a blessing.

If your just at the range and stuff then its not an issue. Move off that range and go to where you don't know what could happen and a 2.5-10/3-15 really starts to shine.

Right on. It's mostly just shooting paper at the range but once or twice a year, a friend invites my brother and I to his ranch were we shoot out to 1K and "hunt" wild pigs. I've got some 5.56 rifles mainly for that but I want to stretch the legs on my 20" .308 and my 16" .308

You must not have read my post at all. I emphasized in it that lower power is more important, most of the time than the highest power. It does not follow that high power is useless.

Your answer is also non-responsive as the ability to dial down even the highest power scope to something useful in low light or mirage is itself a useful feature.

For big targets, or hunting, 10x is probably fine. A big black circle, even at a long distance, is easy to center within a reticle. A smaller target is not. If you can't see it, you can't hit it.

I hope a day comes when 2-3x on the low end is the norm no matter what the max power is. That said, those who suggest that 16 or 20x or even more on the top end is never useful have just never tried to shoot at something really small, or if they have, they haven't had the luxury of having more power.

I use a 6-24x now and I would absolutely give up some of the high magnification for something that went lower.

The 3-15x range will probably prove very useful to the OP.

Not bad Nutro, but the VX-III is old leupold glass. I'm no pro, but have seen and used excellent glass before, so here's my 2 cents:

As far as the great recommendations above and what your needs appear to be, there are zoom range optics (5X to 6X power adjustable zooms) to take care of both wide FOV quick target acquisitions and small target long range details. For my new custom .30-06 (use for mostly hunting and some 600yd open F-class competition), I choose the new Leupold VX-6 3-18X50 "6-power zoom range" that is as sharp, clear and bright with a full FOV at 18 power as it is at 3 power! I'm very pleased with the glass quality, light weight (20.4oz) and compact size (13.5") of this VX-6. There are also other makers of high zoom power range offerings that could fill both of your scope optic needs....good hunting!

Well I've read til I'm blue in the face and still don't know what to do. I might just wait and see if I can save some money to buy a used NF 3-15 No zero stop No high speed Second Focal scope that I can actually afford since there doesn't seem to be any out there for what my dad and I can afford.

There's this thing called lesser of the variable... ie dialing back.

Another Option!

Well I've read til I'm blue in the face and still don't know what to do. I might just wait and see if I can save some money to buy a used NF 3-15 No zero stop No high speed Second Focal scope that I can actually afford since there doesn't seem to be any out there for what my dad and I can afford.

Nick,

I responded Saturday, but my post never went through. Here http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...luepold-vx-6-anybody-get-one.html#post2618352 is a suggestion based on my experience!

The "6X power range" of the VX-6 series could be helpful for short range quick target acquisition and long range small target optic details.

Ted