• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Im starting a Swage Die business- Input Needed plz

coltc

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2011
Hello everyone. I am starting a new bullet swaging die making business, and would like some feedback from this wonderful community. Im sure you all know, but if you dont. Swage dies are dies that you use in a reloading / swaging press that are used to make jacketed rifle bullets. The bullets made in these dies are easily more concentric, and consistent than their store bought counterparts. The reason that im starting this business, is that its something that im simply passionate about, and i happen to have some nice equipment. I got into long range shooting several years ago, and have had several very long shots on big game and coyotes alike. I became interested in bullet design shortly after getting into shooting those long distances.
So, here is my inquiry for all of you serious reloaders out there. When i start this small business, what kind of dies would you guys purchase (not assuming that you will, but what kind would you buy if you were interested in doing so). I have CNC machines, that will be able to build die reamers with relative ease, so the dies will cost considerably less than say, corbin or an outfit like that. Im not sure what i will charge for a set of dies, but im thikning somewhere near the 350-400 range for a flat base die set.
The dies that i planned on making would be .224 Using fired .22LR jackets, some Low drag .243's, low drag .257's, low drag .264's, low drag .284's, low drag .308's, and low drag .338s. I planned also on making dies to swage .458 paper patch bullets for those 45.70 shooters out there. Another neat idea may be some whisper bullets... not sure if people would buy them, but hes, its worth a shot. Whisper's are Round nose, boat tail bullets that are to be used in subsonic applications. Anyhow, if you guys get a free second, PLEASE leave me some feedback on what you would be most interested in. I have spent many many hours reading the wonderful stories on this website, so your input and interests will be a definite deciding factors in my decisions for this business in the near future. Let me know, and if there is some interest in my operation on this site, i will post my website (as soon as i finish programming)

Re: Im starting a Swage Die business- Input Needed plz

I have a whole box full of bullet swage dies (30+), jackets and everything that goes with them. I acquired them randomly and have no use for them. I need the most consistent bullets I can get and that means buying them from a factory, that and I don't care to add a million more steps to my already long reloading process. My point is that I bet most people are like me and have found factory ammo that's easy and cheap enough to acquire that bullet making is the last thing they want to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will be interesting to hear if this is SPAM or Legit
</div></div>

I bet it's legit, he didn't post a website or do any of the typical spammer shit. I think he's just gauging interest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will be interesting to hear if this is SPAM or Legit
</div></div>

I bet it's legit, he didn't post a website or do any of the typical spammer shit. I think he's just gauging interest. </div></div>

We will see.

First you'd have to convince me that what your product would produce is better than anything the big name manufacturers are putting out.

Reviews I have read, are not more accurate that your favorite brand.

Also using brass 22 cases, do you not have to use center struck brass to prevent the sides from tearing? I don't own any center striking rimfires.

Would be interested in seeing your better mousetrap though.

As anal as some are about handloading, how many are using home made bullets?

Hey guys, im not a Spambot. This is for real. im going to build die sets. As for you guys talking about swaged bullets not being as accurate as swaged ones? Its no comarison, hand swaged bullets win every time. Every bullet that you shoot comes from the EXACT same set of dies, every time. Im not going to say that factory bullets are not quite excellent, just not as good. The post about the .22 LR brass tearing... well. I swage a few bullets for coyote hunting with these jackets, and they do blow up out of my .220 swift. They dont blow up however in a .223, so... somewhere in the middle of that velocity range is the limit. Hey guys, ill fill out my profile when i get back from work in a few days, and like i said, ill post the website when its complete. It is a lot of work starting something like this, but i figured that i would try it, and become someone who would help you guys out that would like to make your own bullets but not have to wait for a place like corbin for 3 years. Thanks for looking, really, and ill be posting some more information as i get around to finishing some things up.