• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters I'm sure this is going to come across as a dumb question but here I am asking it...

LuckyDuck

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Likely as random of a question as I can come up with but- it deals with spotting scopes and their respective eye pieces. I've been swapping emails with Marsupial Gear about their angled spotting scope cases and am hoping for some of their "medium" sized cases to come back in stock as well as LRG sized cases remaining in stock. The reason behind that effort is I have both the 27-60x85 & 22-48x65 Razor spotting scopes on hand and am looking for a long past due case for both of them for NRL22 shoots so I'm not dragging either scope along in the manufacturer's boxes for these shoots. Marsupial Gear did get back to my inquiries and said that they should have a restock of their angled spotting scope cases within the next 2-3 weeks. All that to say- in the box- the body of the spotting scope is separate from the eyepiece, I'd have to believe that's purely due to shipping reasons so everything 'fits' in the box neatly- but if that's the case, couldn't the manufacturer just reorient the scope 90 degrees and fit it in the same box? To get down to my question- I haven't been able to locate a straight answer using Google- once Marsupial Gear comes through and has both angled cases available- is there any concerns I should have about storing my spotting scope with the eyepiece mounted for a prolonged period of time? In my mind, I'd think this would be preferable by 'sealing' the optic unit together to avoid foreign contaminates but for the life of me I can't see anyone through my google searches talking about this conundrum nor can I find it mentioned in either user manual.

While I'm on the topic, both Razor spotting scopes have their respective eyepieces, BUT I also have an LER eyepiece that works for both spotting scopes as well as a MRAD Reticle eyepiece that's tied to the 27-60x85 scope. Has anyone found a nifty solution to carrying multiple eyepieces in a padded case?

-LD

I have the same scope, and I use the case it came in. Its not super cushioned but it works, have you used that soft case? And or you looking for a big time cushioned offering?

PB

As I understand it, Vortex used to include a soft case that had a shoulder strap with their spotting scopes but that's no longer included in the box. Aside from the scope and lens caps, the only other accessory included is a neoprene sleeve (very similar to a beer koozie for the optic). I started looking at hard cases like Pelican but the more I thought about it a padded soft case with a shoulder strap would be far more convenient for my needs given all of the the other equipment I'm already bringing between the rifles, tripod, range bag, etc.

So while I'm pretty comfortable with the form factor of the soft cases, I got to wondering if storing the spotting scope with an eyepiece mounted for prolonged periods of time would inadvertently introduce issues down the road such as a loosening fit between the body and the eyepiece, running into issues of the eyepiece seizing when trying to swap them after they've been attached for an extended period of time, or making the eyepiece itself susceptible to damage due to the tabs so that lock them into the body being so small if it bangs into something while transporting it around. As I mentioned as a positive of keeping an eyepiece attached, I'd have to believe it'd seal the optic and keep dust and such from getting to the internals better than the plastic caps that snap on. The manual only mentions storing away from heat and direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time but nothing about this eyepiece quandary I'm mulling over.

So essentially a very long way of asking, what is the best practice of storing/transporting the spotting scopes if something like a Pelican case isn't being used, eyepiece separated until the body's on the tripod and ready to be used, or no concerns leaving the eyepiece attached even when not in use.

I suspect that I'm overthinking it but since I couldn't locate the question being discussed I thought I'd throw an inquiry here to see what the Hide thinks.

-LD

I should have included this in my previous response but with regards to my last question about a padded case specifically for storing alternate eyepieces- I still can't seem to locate any companies that offer a solution for this problem. I had asked if anyone had come up with a creative solution to storing/transporting additional eyepieces with them, my current "best" idea to solve this is to focus on a product that would be either a small binocular or a large rangefinder fleece lined/padded Cordura case and once I find something that would work with the dimensions I have- then I'll just need to figure out a way to add a padded divider in the case to separate/protect them from banging into each other. Any ideas there? Mainly I'm just looking to increase the protection from the supplied microfiber sleeve that these eyepieces ship with as accessory cases and reckon that I'm far from the first person to look for a similar solution.

-LD

Last edited:
    If you want a good case harbor freight has smaller padded cases that look exactly like the Pelican brand that would provide good protection, various sizes too.

I appreciate the suggestion, thank you. I never would have considered checking with Harbor Freight but will see what they have to offer.

There wasn't much interest in this thread but I ended up reaching out to Vortex Optics with my question and just wanted to bring closure to this question by sharing their response in case anyone would be interested-

"Thanks for reaching out and for the interest. We really appreciate it! Regarding your question, we don't have any specific storage protocol. You can store the unit however you'd like, with a case of some kind (ok to use the included case) being helpful for keeping unwanted dust and debris off the lenses. If you're flying with the optic, a hard case is recommended for transport and I'll reccomend Condition 1, Pelican, etc. for that. Whether the eyepiece is connected or not will not affect the usability/longevity of the optic in any way. Any hypothetical damage incurred during transport would be serviced, regardless of how the unit was stored."

-LD

I didn't notice this thread when it first showed up, sorry for my late response.

Optics manufacturers have been dealing with interchangeable lenses and eyepieces for many decades. Cameras have had intercheangeable lenses for a very long time. I remember my first SLR from the early 70s, having a normal lens, a telephoto lens, and a wide-angle lens. I would switch back and forth between them all the time. When I put the camera away, it always had a lens on it. The mounting system on these cameras varied by brand but most high-end cameras has some form of bayonet mounting system, while a few had threads (yuck). These bayonet mounting systems were very robust then and made for endless changes; the parts were steel. I vaguely remember some having plastic bayonet parts, something from which one would stay away.

I favor the Kowas for spotters, I find their Prominar series to have the best IQ. (Love that pure fluorite glass.) The eyepiece mounting system is also a bayonet mount, with metal tabs. When you remove the eyepiece, you can see that the body appears to have a piece of glass (or it could be the prism, that seals the body from that side. Just like my SLRs and DSLRs, I don't go poking in that opening and I protect it from dust and stuff when I'm changing the eyepiece. I always store my spotters with an eyepiece on them. Lately, I have taken to putting my Kowa 883 in its neoprene case inside a hard case, along with the other eyepieces and the mini tripod. Once I'm at the range, it comes out of the hard case and it goes in my wagon or whatever other means of immediate storage I'm using. I put it back in the hard case at the end of the day, before leaving the range.

You want to take special care of the eyepiece lenses and don't go poking in the body. Best to always have an eyepiece on the spotter, especially if you only have one. The eyepiece should have a cover for the lenses at both ends, (my Kowa eyepieces do) and if you have an extra eyepiece, its covers should be installed.

Reactions: LuckyDuck
    I didn't notice this thread when it first showed up, sorry for my late response.

Optics manufacturers have been dealing with interchangeable lenses and eyepieces for many decades. Cameras have had intercheangeable lenses for a very long time. I remember my first SLR from the early 70s, having a normal lens, a telephoto lens, and a wide-angle lens. I would switch back and forth between them all the time. When I put the camera away, it always had a lens on it. The mounting system on these cameras varied by brand but most high-end cameras has some form of bayonet mounting system, while a few had threads (yuck). These bayonet mounting systems were very robust then and made for endless changes; the parts were steel. I vaguely remember some having plastic bayonet parts, something from which one would stay away.

I favor the Kowas for spotters, I find their Prominar series to have the best IQ. (Love that pure fluorite glass.) The eyepiece mounting system is also a bayonet mount, with metal tabs. When you remove the eyepiece, you can see that the body appears to have a piece of glass (or it could be the prism, that seals the body from that side. Just like my SLRs and DSLRs, I don't go poking in that opening and I protect it from dust and stuff when I'm changing the eyepiece. I always store my spotters with an eyepiece on them. Lately, I have taken to putting my Kowa 883 in its neoprene case inside a hard case, along with the other eyepieces and the mini tripod. Once I'm at the range, it comes out of the hard case and it goes in my wagon or whatever other means of immediate storage I'm using. I put it back in the hard case at the end of the day, before leaving the range.

You want to take special care of the eyepiece lenses and don't go poking in the body. Best to always have an eyepiece on the spotter, especially if you only have one. The eyepiece should have a cover for the lenses at both ends, (my Kowa eyepieces do) and if you have an extra eyepiece, its covers should be installed.
    Funny that you mention that because I should be covered with 2 spotters I already have from Vortex Optics but I'm still looking hard at the Kowa TSN-66 Prominar Spotting scope based off of some high-power competitors recommendations.

i just bought some kaizen foam cut to fit a ridgid toolbox i picked up at home depot, and then cut the foam to fit the items.
    i used an old cellphone to record or view without having to put my eye on the eyepice, usually through the larger scope.

wUVbXxJ.jpg