• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Im tired of research...need some solid advice

Brandon7766

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
This will be my scope for tactical matches and shooting out to 1000 yards at Sac Valley. I just bought my first rifle, it is a Remimgton 700 trued action, 28" (can always cut down later when i want it threaded) Pac Nor barrel and at this point it looks like im going to pick up a manners t4a with mini chassis. Ive been treated really well by the NCPPRC members so this hasnt cost me a fortune...so I want to buy some good glass.

I like the H59 reticle or GAP reticle concept (premeir also has a similar reticle) particularly for a new shooter this seems like it might help me learn more and faster but be a nice reticle overall.

1st dilemma. I want to buy a S&B 5-25 but am not sold on the reticles, with the price about to go up and these being the best money can buy I am having a hard time making a decision here.

2nd dilemma. Nightforce does not offer the reticles or a 20ish power in FFP so my mid range option just kind of goes out the window.

3rd From a budget standpoint that Bushnell HDMR with GAP reticle that can be found for 1250ish sure seems really nice but I kind of wanted a zero stop /shrug maybe not needed.

So im just at a total loss of what to buy....the savings from the S+B can be spent in other ways like a new GAP Rifle down payment etc. So its not like being budget concious wouldnt have its benefits but buying a really nice scope would be what I want....if the S&B had an H59 or GAP reticle then ide pull the trigger right now without question.

Re: Im tired of research...need some solid advice

Sounds like what you really need is a Premier with a Horus reticle installed.

You'd get S&B equivalent glass, zero stop, and a Horus all together in one package.

The premire is what I will be picking up. Just as soon as I can scrape up the coin.

Have you seen the S&B H2CMR reticle? It's a great reticle to shoot matches with. Got a 5-25 with one in it and love it.

That said if you didn't want to spend the money the Bushnell with the G2 reticle is a very nice scope. Was using one last week and I like the reticle alot.

I've shot with NCPPRC at Sac. Valley a few times in the past. I use the Premier 5-25X56 Heritage with Gen 2 XR reticle. Don't know about their new reticle offering but am quite used to the Gen 2 XR. I'm very comfortable with that reticle configuration so I just picked up another one from Mike at C&S for my next build in process.

Is premeir as good as S+B? Their resale values are not and they cost nearly as much. Just seems like S+B gets the nod when you ask for top of the line. S+B has zero stop right?

I have and use both the Premier and S&B 5-25x56. I truely beleive the glass is much better in the Premier, at least for my aging eye's. I like the XR reticle, but my only complaint about it is the mildot's are smaller then the half-Mil hash marks, which makes me think twice because instinctively my mind is trained to think the bigger mark to be a mil, and the smaller mark to be half-Mil as most mil-based tactical scope reticles are.

If Premier would offer optional reticles, something like the S&B P4F or Leupold TMR, I'd sell my S&B's and replace them with Premier's.

The Premier can be often found here on the Hide for very good prices, and feel it's the best bang for the buck for the larger scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon7766</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is premeir as good as S+B? Their resale values are not and they cost nearly as much. </div></div>
To me, the PH is as good as the SB, with each brand having pros/cons. I don't see the Premier lagging behind the SB in the resale department, but I may be wrong. I believe the SB is about $500 more, but I would buy the Premier if they cost the same simply because that is what I have and what I am used to. If I had SB scopes, I would buy them over the PH if priced the same.

In my opinion, anyone that tells you the SB is far superior is full of it and you should probably take what they say with a grain of salt. Some people will rave about whatever they are using at the time and claim it's superiority any chance they get. I have seen people jump in just about any optic discussion and claim NF is the end all-be all, then suddenly change and go out of there way to claim SB is the only way to go. Naturally, everyone likes to think what they have is the best; some just go out of their way to try to prove it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No love for Nightforce F1 or Vortex Razor?

The bushnell GAP is a crazy bargain for a holdover reticule. </div></div>

The price of both put them very near premeir and about 1k away from S+B within a close enough range that i might as well go "all in" on "the best"

At that level most are about the same, Great. If you like one retical over an other then get that one. When you are gonna drop $3000+ on a scope hell get the one you like the most made how you want it. All will do about anything you ask of them, S&Bs are used buy the marines and them guys know how to break things.
But have ,and had Leupold M4s ,NF,PH . and no trouble with any of them so just get what YOU want that will DO what you need and go shooting. Good luck and good shooting to you.

Depending on what type of matches/long range shooting you want to do, you might want to consider the S&B P4F reticle or the NF MLR2 reticle. They are both nice because they have .5 mil increments which for me makes for easier/more accurate ranging. Of the two, I think I like the P4F better. Another thing that may be a deciding factor is mil/mil, moa/moa, or moa/mil. I wasn't sure if you specified. I hear you about the cost of S&B. I'm going to be putting money down for a GAP M40A5 soon, so the S&B will have to wait. Decisions, decisions. Good luck on your pick.