• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMAX Fighter Pilot

Re: IMAX Fighter Pilot

It was good insight into what these guys are capable of and their high level of training. I could have done without the CG special effects though.

500/1000lbs bombs are impressive enough on their own. They don't need to be digitally enhanced.

Good find, thanks for posting.

Why are they popping flares all the time? I understand for avoiding heat seeking missiles but it seems like they are popping them all the time even when nothing else is even close to them.

I was there for 2 redflags, 4 greenflags. and did one Maple Flag in Cold Lake Canada. Good times. Too bad it wasnt in a fighter. Awacs and RJs are the slow fat kids that get picked on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are they popping flares all the time? I understand for avoiding heat seeking missiles but it seems like they are popping them all the time even when nothing else is even close to them. </div></div>

I think its just habit and training, a pilot has alot to manage and doing it all the time the same is likely important. I don't know but I would think missiles like the portable shoulder fired stinger would be most effective when the air craft flares away after hitting the target and pulls full power, so thus they launch a ton of flares right when they do that.

BTW that video had some wicked cool shots in it, also noticed they made sure and included women and minorities in every scene almost, even that show was trying to be politically correct.

Yeah, "Hollywood" was a little annoying with the CGI fighters and big firey explosions, but it was still very cool!

Thats the Red Flag training exercise they do every year. I've actually seen the film in IMAX and its glorious on a screen that big.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was there for 2 redflags, 4 greenflags. and did one Maple Flag in Cold Lake Canada. Good times. Too bad it wasnt in a fighter. Awacs and RJs are the slow fat kids that get picked on.
</div></div>

I was at Nellis for every color/tree flag from 04-09... Except I was on the fighters!!