• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact 737, Proof pre-fit, MDT ACC Elite vs AI AT-X for PRS

Which is the best rifle for a beginner PRS shooter

• Impact 737, Proof Barrel, MDT ACC Elite

Votes: 27 58.7%
  • Accuracy International AT-X

Votes: 19 41.3%

• Total voters

QuickOne

Private
Minuteman
Supporter+
Oct 31, 2011
I have a question I wanted to pose to the hide. I need help deciding on how best to spend my limited time.

Back story is I started competing in PRS matches a few years ago. Love doing it, but definitely a novice. Both rimfire and centerfire. Of course, the matches are less frequent than I would like, which means time is important.

By way of being a lunatic and going on a buying spree, I ended up with several rifles and rifle builds to pick from. I’m now trying to focus on just one to ensure I’m enjoying my competition time. I’m struggling on which to pick, though.

Option A: Impact 737R, Proof carbon pre-fit barrel, MDT ACC Elite chassis, TT Diamond. Rifle is pretty good, but I feel like I get some random fliers occasionally. Also, I built it and I’m worried I don’t have enough knowledge to ensure it runs flawlessly and is as accurate as possible. Fairly comfortable behind the rifle.

Option B: Accuracy International AT-X. I have several AIs and love them. I’m very comfortable behind their systems. I wanted to try their competition rifle. Unfortunately, it has never been shot. I was seduced by the bolt throw of the Impact, so this has been a safe queen since I purchased it new last year.

Both rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Just put a SS barrel on your Impact rig (instead of CF, that'd be more for hunting) and you'll be good to go. If you can operate a torque wrench and drivers correctly, then you're a good enough gunsmith.

You don't see many AIs or CF barrels at PRS matches, the rest of your rig is stuff that's ubiquitous.

If it’s all built and reamed properly then you can’t screw it together any differently than any smith could.

I’d get a steel barrel just for the weight gains for prs but the costs of burning out a carbon are also pricier. A steel barreled impact in a chassis is what half the rifles on the firing line are. You won’t be lacking due to the equipment.

Reactions: diggler1833
I third the barrel swap on your 737. I think it will give you a better apples to apples comparison in your head.

Whichever you like more.

With that level of equipment, it's all about personal pref. Yes impact is THE action in PRS. I'd bet it's a lot of people playing follow the leader.

That doesn't mean Impact isn't good. We just see it in all sports. Copy what the champ shoots.

It's your gun, the important thing is you like it.

One is leading the competition you’re pursuing, one isn’t present almost at all. That’s enough info.

I love my impact action, put a heavier barrel on it and practice intelligently. The guys that are winning aren't doing it just because they have real good equipment.

Option C sell one and buy a terminus Zeus QC and a bartlein spun up by bugholes so when you realize a 6.5 CM is too much you can swap to a 6mm of some kind.

Thanks all. Seems my concern about the smithing being the problem are unfounded. Will try out a new barrel on the impact and see how that goes.

Reactions: CK1.0
It's all personal preference.

AI's aren't comp guns - they aren't designed to exceed in that role. The AT-X is a step in the right direction, but it's still a rifle designed for a pretty different purpose than PRS comps. That said, some do like them for that purpose, and given that you are an AI owner already, you know what you are getting into with an AI.

Really depends on your personal preferences and what you are looking to get out of a rifle. Personally I would always take a custom gun over an AI for comp use.

Reactions: Rexwagon
Impact for a PRS rifle every single day.

It’s more than just follow the leader. Lol.