• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact firing pin spring

702lineman

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
southern IL
Does anyone know what weight firing pin spring impact uses? Has anyone changed it to an 18 or so to lighten bolt lift? Before I get flamed, it isn't bad now, but not as light of bolt lift as my old defiance deviant with an 18lb spring. Cheap mod to try out.

Why would you get Flamed your asking a respectful question ?

Mike R.

Is the Impact CRF? Not that it matters that much to me, or that it would increase bolt lift, but I've looked on their site for it and can't find an answer.
Every time I handle an Impact in a Foundation my sinful nature kicks in and I start to covet, but I haven't noticed heavy bolt lift. Is it a brand new action?

I would think it would get looser with use, or if you're impatient you could lap the lugs with some blue J&B, but I would just use it till it fully breaks in (assuming it's a new action).

This action has about 1500 on it now. The bolt lift isn't bad at all!! Just wondering if this would lighten it up more

This action has about 1500 on it now. The bolt lift isn't bad at all!! Just wondering if this would lighten it up more

It seems like you haven't got the answer your looking for ? Did you try to call them ? From my personal experience their customer service is the worst. I called many times to get a few Tech questions answered and was treated like a POS then they tried to flip it on me and called me a lair. Might be a nice action but the customer service for me sucked...

I wish you the best...

Mike R.

I too had a firing pin question on my Impact and Tate got right back to me. Reach out and I'm sure he'll do the same. Very responsive in my experience. Also, let us know what you find out. I too feel like the bolt lift is a tad heavy. Not complaining and not too worried about it... just curious what you find out.

I remember someone saying in the Impact thread here that it was designed to have 50/50 cock on open and close, which is unusual. I've always attributed the relatively heavy bolt lift and close to that.

I dont know that I would say its heavy, because it is lighter than my 2 defiance before the spring swaps, but could be a little better.

As far as customer service goes they have been great so far. I called when I recieved it and tate was busy, but stopped and talked with me and answered my question.

Well actually I'm an idiot, I shot tate and Clay's match this weekend and I talked to tate,but forgot to ask him this question when I seen him. Super nice guy in person also

Reactions: superde
Tate is GTG. personally fixed my bolt at the TX match when a pierced primer got lodged into the firing pin hole. also super resposive when i've called/e-mailed.

you never answered my question if you tried a different trigger hanger? which one are you using now? that will slightly change your bolt lift/. i use the -15 in mine with a diamond.

it's ever so slightly heavy - but not bad at all.

I'm using the 0 offset hanger. I have a -15 also. Tate told me when I bought it to go with the 0. Idk. I'm just gonna order a 18lb spring and try it. We will see what happens

To answer your question from a strictly physics point of view, yes it should lighten your bolt lift.

It would be interesting to design and fabricate a fixture to measure bolt lift. It would be a little more tricky due to the rotational arc of the bolt handle, but it wouldn't be that hard.

As some others have mentioned, it could, repeat could, affect your reliability and potentially the accuracy slightly. But you won't know until you try it. Let us know how it turns out.

I am running same setup, -15 hanger and TT diamond. The -15 did nothing for bolt lift but did eliminate some cock on close, I think there's maybe 0.020 of the total 0.244 pin fall that's COC, so the action a 92/8% cock on open action. My origin is f'n horrible bolt lift and COC w/ diamond. Maybe Zermatt could take some out idk. I like this impact, don't feel the bolt lift is heavy or has much COC. The only action that I have experience with that's better is the Kelbly atlas timed to a diamond. Bolt lift is quite light and zero COC. Super smooth action and a screaming deal for 900$ in my opinion!
Call them , they’ll ask you for firing pin fall measurements and mail you a modified cocking piece to get rid of your heavy bolt close

I am running same setup, -15 hanger and TT diamond. The -15 did nothing for bolt lift but did eliminate some cock on close, I think there's maybe 0.020 of the total 0.244 pin fall that's COC, so the action a 92/8% cock on open action. My origin is f'n horrible bolt lift and COC w/ diamond. Maybe Zermatt could take some out idk. I like this impact, don't feel the bolt lift is heavy or has much COC. The only action that I have experience with that's better is the Kelbly atlas timed to a diamond. Bolt lift is quite light and zero COC. Super smooth action and a screaming deal for 900$ in my opinion!
I'm using the -0 hanger with diamond. I thought I saw where impact did not recommend the -15 with the diamond?

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of a impact having a heavy bolt lift. Mine is the lightest of all the actions I have

MikeRTacOps, don't know what happened to you, but my experience with Tate has been super. Just got my Impact barreled action and it is just badass. It is breaking in nicely and gets smoother by the day. Never a problem feeding or ejecting. I sent Tate an email with my phone number and he called me back in a couple of days and gave me a bunch of great information. My next action is an Impact.

Bang