• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact or Archimedes

TSpork

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Looking to hear what the Hide’s thoughts are. Right now I have an ARC Archimedes on pre-order. Trying to decide if I should sell my pre-order slot and get an Impact instead. This will be my first custom bolt gun.

Currently running a 700 5R in 308 in a KRG Whiskey 3. I was going to just pull the action and drop the Archimedes into it. I took a lesson from a fellow hide member and he suggested I drop the Archimedes and get the Impact. If I go to the Impact I’d either have to mod my Whiskey 3 or sell it and get a different chassis. I really like the Whiskey 3, but then again, also my first chassis. I’d like to use this gun for PRS comps

No brainer IMO. Get the Impact.

You are signing up to be a beta tester otherwise, with all sorts of uncertainty on delivery date, function, etc. Just look at the threads of info on pre-orders going south and taking forever, and on problems with light primer strikes etc from other ARC actions.

Unless you can’t afford another action in the long run, get and impact and also get the arc when it’s ready. It’s nice to have some variety if you want it.

If only enough budget for one, just get the impact. You can get one within a week and you know it’s gonna run fine.

Reactions: phlegethon
I'm a recently switched to an Impact action and couldn't be happier. Got a dasher barrel from them and it shoots great. I had it in a KRG Bravo while I waited on a Manners and the mod was easy to do on that stock.

Get both, but in the order of Impact first. Then you will ask yourself why do I need anything else.

My two Nucleus have been great. Only added the heavier spring. The Archimedes looked good at SHOT and I hear from people running the original version.

It all depends on what you want to do. They are two completely different kinds of actions.

Reactions: Jknox1030
I was in your shoes but I had the decision to make with the nucleus action. I chose the nucleus and the wait was way longer than expected but I had things that kept me occupied. Once the nucleus came in I decided to get the impact because getting both is the right answer for many reasons.

Their both fine options but if you want to be shooting now, go impact. ARC hasn't had the best reputation of meeting deadlines.

Reactions: Changed
well it looks like i have an answer. unfortunately I can't afford both right now. it's one or the other
Don't worry about right now, mainly because the Archimedes action won't be available to anyone for another month or two and the actually working action with all the revised parts won't be available until sometime in 2020. That is assuming that ARC has a similar timetable for the Archimedes as what happened with the Nucleus.

Reactions: CStroud
I run an Impact on my MPA, couldn’t be happier, works like a charm, it is VERY smooth, BUT, you can still Lightly feel if a round got chambered or not, money very well spent (if you ask me, lol). My .02!

I started with an ARC Nucleus, then got an Impact. I love both actions. Both are super smooth and don't bind for me. Still, my Nucleus is now for sale since I'm going to pick up my second Impact tonight. Nothing wrong with it, but I like the bolt lift on the Impact much better, especially prone. Was able to play with a Lone Peak last weekend as well, and they are nice...not enough time on it to tell you to pick it over the Impact. You'll be happy regardless of your choice.

I ended up deciding to go with an Impact. Just need to actually get around to ordering it. Not in a super rush though because my barrel from PVA is a couple weeks out and I’m having a hard time finding time between weddings, birthdays, and work

I'd go Impact out of those choices. ARC does some cool stuff, but people are growing tired with the constant revisions and erratic lead times. Impact is a no frills custom action thats well made and does what you need it too without a bunch of extra features.

I'd go Impact out of those choices. ARC does some cool stuff, but people are growing tired with the constant revisions and erratic lead times. Impact is a no frills custom action thats well made and does what you need it too without a bunch of extra features.

ARC comes up with some cool stuff - I absolutely love my Mausingfield and think it's a brilliant action. Though some of the actions ARC makes certainly comes with some quirks.

As you say, Impact is essentially "no frills". Essentially it's a refined rem700 action, with a trigger hanger.

This thread makes me wonder how I ever received my Nucleus, and I'm up in CANADA!

Does anyone have issues with dropping the weight on Triggertech with the Impact action?

What mods are required for it to run on the W3?

Im kinda in the same positive bouyancy device.

So I heard you need to use some low profile trigger hanger screws and cut s small piece of the chassis. I’ve also seen one person cut the hanger instead of the chassis. That’s the way I’m leaning. I forgot who, but someone posted a how to Mod your chassis in the DIY section

Does anyone have issues with dropping the weight on Triggertech with the Impact action?
On my Impact Precision I cannot safely go below about 10-12oz with a Triggertech Diamond. 10oz is completely drop-safe, but it's not until you get to about 12oz that it's safe even if you run the bolt as fast and hard as you can (more on why closing the action is harder for triggers in an Impact than the drop test later).

The reason, almost certainly, is because the action is 50/50 cock on open/cock on close and it has a heavy firing pin spring. This means that when you go to close the bolt there's a lot more pressure on the sear of the trigger since it's being used to finish cocking the firing pin, especially considering the stout firing pin spring. More pressure against the sear means it's harder to get a light trigger pull that remains drop safe, and cocking on close makes it harder to get a light trigger pull that's safe when slamming the action home hard and fast.

Here's what the Triggertech website has to say about that sort of thing:
All pull weights and measurements are approximate. ***Pull weights of TriggerTech Triggers are directly impacted by firing pin spring weight. Overweight firing pin springs may cause pulls weights to vary above the advertised range***

The Impact has an overweight firing pin spring, if memory serves me correctly it is 26 pounds compared to the 20-22 pound springs you find in most Remington 700 short actions. It's also cocking on close, which will always put more pressure on the sear than if you aren't cocking it as you close the action. Based on that info and what TT says, it makes sense that a TT Diamond can't get down to the 4oz advertised and is instead closer to a 3/4-1lb trigger on the Impact action.

For me it doesn't make much difference. I used to like my trigger at 8oz when I had my Nucleus, but I caught myself falling into the habit of slapping the trigger. I've got my Diamond set to 1lb now and it's helped me break that habit since it's just heavy enough to be seriously noticeable when I do stupid stuff like that. I make up for the "heavy" trigger (by PRS standards) by enjoying the super light bolt lift of the Impact. It's also a lot safer now if I am taking others to the range with me, since it now only takes them a couple shots of dry fire to get used to the trigger instead of multiple minutes before they're not accidentally setting it off.

IMpact!
1. prefits are available from numerous gun smiths.
2. Great smooth action that works.
3. Impact Precision supports PRS matches!!!

if you must have an ARC made action, a DLC'd Mausingfiled is pretty dang nice and you can spin on Savage prefits.

Reactions: Darqusoull13