• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Impacts of Climate / Weather / Environment on Outdoor Thermal Imaging Quality

IR-V

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Below are some thermal images of the same, outdoor view over a period of three summer months, with narrative of the environmental and weather conditions. It is particularly interesting to observe the conditions and thresholds that influence radiance versus reflection of LWIR wavelengths. The time of day is roughly one hour after sunset in each of the thermal images, which is the period following the late day diurnal crossover when absorption of thermal energy from direct, solar radiation has ceased and ambient temperatures have begun to decline.

This is shared in the context of the "weather" thread down below.

IR-V

nfphmd.jpg

thank you for the pictures and info

You're welcome, MM! Hopefully this will intrigue others into doing the same with their thermal sensors, and this board / forum will become a master repository of the diversity of carefully documented, thermal imaging experiences.

IR-V

I don't know what the weather is like in your neck of the woods year round, but I would love it if you could continue these comparisons, especially into winter.

I don't know what the weather is like in your neck of the woods year round, but I would love it if you could continue these comparisons, especially into winter.

Request acknowledged. If I have the time, I'll assemble some winter images and data, and post them here.

IR-V