• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impacts walking right?

davidcharkowsky

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2024
Arizona
A beginner question: What could cause my impacts to slowly walk to the right over a single session?

The initial hits landed left of my point of aim and slowly walked to the right until they were all landing to the right of my point of aim.

The firearm in question is a Sig Cross in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has a brake on it.

I fired twelve five rounds groups for a total of 60 rounds over a span of about 2h. 20 rounds of Norma, followed by 20 rounds of Federal, followed by 20 rounds of Barnes Precision. After today, the barrel has a total of 370 rounds through it.

Conditions were quite calm.

I was shooting from a bench with bags.

I was very intent about holding my point of aim all through the trigger press and was genuinely surprised when it went bang.

Perhaps this is all shooter caused and I was changing my technique through the session, but thought I would ask just in case this is something that can happen all on its own. Thanks!

Not having a 90deg trigger press caused by too little of your finger on trigger will push the butt left and send rounds to the right.

If it was 100yds, parallax can also do this.

And, you don't want to be surprised when the rifle goes off. You want it to fire exactly when you want it to fire and nothing else. That's just some bad old school advice that keeps floating around. It's not bad for pure beginners, but past that you want to be the one telling the rifle to fire.

Reactions: Holliday
You were shooting several different types of ammunition. All ammunition does not shoot to the same point of aim. Some flavors will vary quite a bit from another. Could be as simple as this.