• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impluse Buy [Range Report]

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    At a local gun store a rifle, that looked to be a M40 interpretation, caught my eye. It was on consignment for $1600.

Upon inspection it had a Rem 700 action [that felt like it had been trued because it locked up tight, yet it was very smooth, like it had be hand fitted or something], an HS Precision stock, some kind of heavy profile barrel that said "308win" on one side and had a modified SF symbol stamped in the other side, an amazing feeling trigger, and a Surgeon rail a top. The rifle had been completely cerakoted [and then scratched a little bit] and the bore looked almost new. It looked like someone built it, did a few comps with it, then put it away.
    My interest was peaked.
    The guy behind the counter didn't know much about the rifle but said it was owned by a friend of the shop owner. So I hung around, staring at it, for about 30min until the shop owner came out from a meeting he was in. He called up the rifle owner and let me ask him some questions.

This is what I found out:
    He had it built out of a Rem 700 by one of Surgeons builders just outside of Fort Campbell. The action was apparently trued, and the barrel is a Rock Creek. The builder put the Surgeon rail on it as a stamp of authenticity [because the company Surgeon did not build it].
    The guy said that there were no more than 500rds through this rifle, and if he had to guess, he would probably place it closer to 250-300rds.

So this sounded like a good opportunity to get into a custom rifle. I know the owner of the shop and he said that I can pay it off at my own pace, so I put $100 down on it. Seems like it's almost worth the $1600 in parts alone. If it shoots as good or better than my Tikka CTR then I'll be a very happy camper.

Was this a good move?
    It was possibly the most impulsive firearm commitment that I've ever made. Certainly the most expensive impulsive buy at least.
    M40 buy.jpg

You didn't do BAD per se. It looks to have about $900-$1000 worth of parts (R700 donor action and trigger, barrel blank, and 5R or 700P takeoff stock with BDL bottom metal, optic rail). Then you're looking at approx $600 to true the action and hang the barrel and $200 for cerakote. You did save yourself the wait time however.

If it was me I would have passed at $1600. That's right below what you could build it for and know exactly what parts went into it and who did what work. Or for $400 more you could have a John Hancock rifle from PVA that's a custom rifle on a custom action and available in some better chamber options.

You didn't do BAD per se. It looks to have about $900-$1000 worth of parts (R700 donor action and trigger, barrel blank, and 5R or 700P takeoff stock with BDL bottom metal, optic rail). Then you're looking at approx $600 to true the action and hang the barrel and $200 for cerakote. You did save yourself the wait time however.

Not quite sure where your numbers are coming from but the way I see it is; action $350, aftermarket trigger $150, HS Precision PST011 stock $600, RC 308 5R barrel $400, and Surgeon Rail [priceless] but would guess and equivalent would be about $150.
    This is my assessment of parts value if I were to have assembled it myself. Let me know if I'm off on this. And that's before assembly, truing, Koting, etc.

Now the big question is, does it shoot? I hope I don't eat my words [and my money] after my first range trip with it. ;)

Not quite sure where your numbers are coming from but the way I see it is; action $350, aftermarket trigger $150, HS Precision PST011 stock $600, RC 308 5R barrel $400, and Surgeon Rail [priceless] but would guess and equivalent would be about $150.
    This is my assessment of parts value if I were to have assembled it myself. Let me know if I'm off on this. And that's before assembly, truing, Koting, etc.

Now the big question is, does it shoot? I hope I don't eat my words [and my money] after my first range trip with it. ;)

That looks like a factory R700 trigger to me and you can usually get them with a donor action for $350 or find them for $40-$50 separately. That appears to be a 5R takeoff stock which you can find for $200-$250 in like new condition (they're under $400 on stockys brand new). A Rock Creek blank is $335 from bugholes, probably the same price direct.

I've bought and sold a ton of these parts over the years. If you shop around and wait you can be into a 700 action for as little as $250, and I've bought those take off stocks for as little as $100 with bottom metal. You can also find 30 cal blanks on here where someone changed their mind for $300 shipped or less as the 30 cal tubes just don't have the market anymore than the 6mm's and 6.5mm's do.

The real value on your purchase is not waiting for someone to build it... Assuming the parts and work is what they say. With as few marking as there are and the Surgeon story, I'd be skeptical. Like I said, I would have passed at $1600. $1200 I would bite... If I wanted another bare bones 308.

That looks like a factory R700 trigger to me and you can usually get them with a donor action for $350 or find them for $40-$50 separately. That appears to be a 5R takeoff stock which you can find for $200-$250 in like new condition (they're under $400 on stockys brand new). A Rock Creek blank is $335 from bugholes, probably the same price direct.

I've bought and sold a ton of these parts over the years. If you shop around and wait you can be into a 700 action for as little as $250, and I've bought those take off stocks for as little as $100 with bottom metal. You can also find 30 cal blanks on here where someone changed their mind for $300 shipped or less as the 30 cal tubes just don't have the market anymore than the 6mm's and 6.5mm's do.

The real value on your purchase is not waiting for someone to build it... Assuming the parts and work is what they say. With as few marking as there are and the Surgeon story, I'd be skeptical. Like I said, I would have passed at $1600. $1200 I would bite... If I wanted another bare bones 308.

Fair enough.
    I guess I was valuing all of the parts without finding great deals on them.

I certainly don't put enough time in places like this to find deals like what you're describing very often either. It's also hard to know which questions are the right questions and who to listen to, etc...

The only item I'll still disagree with you on is the stock. It looks like the PST011 that's on HS' website for $600.

But anyhow, I'm hoping it is what the guy said it is. A large part of my decision was based on the shop owner vouching for the seller. He hasn't steered me wrong since he's been in business. And I've bought other used rifles from "friends of his" before as well.

Fair enough.
    I guess I was valuing all of the parts without finding great deals on them.

I certainly don't put enough time in places like this to find deals like what you're describing very often either. It's also hard to know which questions are the right questions and who to listen to, etc...

The only item I'll still disagree with you on is the stock. It looks like the PST011 that's on HS' website for $600.

But anyhow, I'm hoping it is what the guy said it is. A large part of my decision was based on the shop owner vouching for the seller. He hasn't steered me wrong since he's been in business. And I've bought other used rifles from "friends of his" before as well.

Thats a 700p take off $200-300, they are on eBay all the time. Its not nice to hear or say, but 1600 is steep for what you have there.[sorry] I have bought and sold 700s with more work and stuff for much less. I bet its a great shooter though. Just too bad you don't have that extra 400-500 for ammo.

If it was me I would have passed at $1600. That's right below what you could build it for and know exactly what parts went into it and who did what work. Or for $400 more you could have a John Hancock rifle from PVA that's a custom rifle on a custom action and available in some better chamber options.

I have to agree with this assessment, custom action, custom barrel and chamber by a KNOWN smith = priceless, forget the coating, stock, and trigger. The barreled action is the heart of any build and where the money is at..

Thats a 700p take off $200-300, they are on eBay all the time. Its not nice to hear or say, but 1600 is steep for what you have there.[sorry] I have bought and sold 700s with more work and stuff for much less. I bet its a great shooter though. Just too bad you don't have that extra 400-500 for ammo.

I understand. If it's a good shooter then that's what I really care about. We'll see, I guess. I was just about to start putting money together for a GAP order by the end of 2018. Saw this as a possible alternative option for less and committed.

I'll let you guys know after I pay it off how it shoots. I'll either be very happy, or I'll be troubleshooting. Worst case, I learned an expensive lesson and will try to recoup some of the money by selling it off as a beater or for parts.

Update to come in a few months.

I agree with the others' opinions but I definitely wouldn't take it too hard. You maybe overpaid by a few hundred bucks. Its not like you bought a lemon used car for $20k and it needs a new motor for $10k. You live, you learn, that's all there is to it.

And you are right when you say if its a good shooter, that's what you care about. If you are happy with the rifle, it runs great, and shoots great, then who can say you overpaid at all? Shoot it alot, find a good load for it, and if its accurate you can probably sell it down the road and recoup most of your initial cost to put it towards another rifle!

If you decide you are unhappy with the deal, perhaps you could just return it and forfeit the $100.

Reactions: LRTI
    If you decide you are unhappy with the deal, perhaps you could just return it and forfeit the $100.
    I've thought about this...
    But my curiosity has the best of me.
    Perhaps I have too much faith in people, but the owner of the shop personally told me that it would shoot, so I have some level of faith that it will shoot. At the very least I have someone to be mad at and can follow up with them if it doesn't. LOL
    He has little to gain from the sale as he's already been paid to put it on consignment in the shop. He blutted out that it was a 3/8" rifle while I was talking to him. If it's even close to that then I'm cool.

Reactions: tmcgowan1911
    Fair enough -- all things considered, I expect you will be happy with it.

Did you end up getting it? If so, how does it shoot? You have me curious now, upon reading the thread.

Reactions: Bender
    like all this stuff eye of the beholder...
    it all comes down to accuracy and extraction.
    if it is trued up and a rock creek barrel you can print 1/2" groups at 100 with factory match ammo.
    if it works functionally, feels good in YOUR hands and shoots .4-.6" groups.
    you did just fine, in my eyes.

I like it, very interested to see or hear how it shoots.

Did you end up getting it? If so, how does it shoot? You have me curious now, upon reading the thread.

I haven't paid it off yet.
    My dish washer broke so I'm paying it off a little slower than expected. I'm also picking up a milled AK this moth, so that doesn't help; I have a problem.

I'll probably have it in my possession and be shooting it towards the end of June [early July at the latest].
    The plan is to throw a fixed 10x SWFA on it at first to put it through it's paces.

Stay tuned friends.

I haven't paid it off yet.
    My dish washer broke so I'm paying it off a little slower than expected. I'm also picking up a milled AK this moth, so that doesn't help; I have a problem.

I'll probably have it in my possession and be shooting it towards the end of June [early July at the latest].
    The plan is to throw a fixed 10x SWFA on it at first to put it through it's paces.

Stay tuned friends.
    It's a problem to have, though.

Nice looking rifle, but I bet the seller was glad to get that much of their money back on a custom build with no documentation.

OP, I'm glad that you found a nice rifle that you like and that you can afford to work out the cost. We all need a place to start to really get hooked on this sport. Do not let the comments discourage you for making a choice that others may or may not be able to actually beat. If everyone broke down actual costs for every rifle they purchased (I know that some probably do), there would be a lot fewer rifles purchased, whether custom, semi-custom or otherwise.

As far as the HS Precision stock, it may well do just fine for that rifle, depending upon how the person who built it treated it during the build. By that I mean that a properly bedded HS Precision stock will shoot as well as stocks costing 5 times as much, sometimes better. Your best bet is to take it out to shoot once you get it in your hands, and see how it does. If it shoots well, then all else doesn't matter.

FWIW, I have a basic Savage 110 in .338 in a HS Precision stock that has many times out-shot $3000-4000 custom ELR rigs out to and past 1 mile. I spent some time to add KMW cheek piece hardware and bed the action properly. While I've had guys ask me why I "wasted" time and money on that stock, not a single one can argue with the results. Sure $1500 of custom stock would certainly look nice, but I don't have that much in the whole rifle. It's all in how I like the rifle and how it shoots as far as I'm concerned.

I think that you did fine. Don't second guess the purchase until/unless it does not shoot.
    image.jpg

Last edited:
    OP, I'm glad that you found a nice rifle that you like and that you can afford to work out the cost. We all need a place to start to really get hooked on this sport. Do not let the comments discourage you for making a choice that others may or may not be able to actually beat. If everyone broke down actual costs for every rifle they purchased (I know that some probably do), there would be a lot fewer rifles purchased, whether custom, semi-custom or otherwise.

As far as the HS Precision stock, it may well do just fine for that rifle, depending upon how the person who built it treated it during the build. By that I mean that a properly bedded HS Precision stock will shoot as well as stocks costing 5 times as much, sometimes better. Your best bet is to take it out to shoot once you get it in your hands, and see how it does. If it shoots well, then all else doesn't matter.

FWIW, I have a basic Savage 110 in .338 in a HS Precision stock that has many times out-shot $3000-4000 custom ELR rigs out to and past 1 mile. I spent some time to add KMW cheek piece hardware and bed the action properly. While I've had guys ask me why I "wasted" time and money on that stock, not a single one can argue with the results. Sure $1500 of custom stock would certainly look nice, but I don't have that much in the whole rifle. It's all in how I like the rifle and how it shoots as far as I'm concerned.

I think that you did fine. Don't second guess the purchase until/unless it does not shoot.
    View attachment 6902751
    I like what you said, and I like your rifle, too. What kind of scope do you have on it? Nice to hear how accurate it is.

Thanks. That scope is a Bushnell HDMR with T2 reticle. That rifle now wears an S&B 5-25, which is much clearer and better for the ELR shots.

Update

I picked up the rifle and noticed after i got it home that it seemed a lot like a M24 [not an M40]. After looking up the specs on the M24 I realized that that's literally what this was built as. It has the same barrel [Rock Creek 24" 5R] as the M24's. Same stock type, etc... The only difference is that it's a short action instead of a long action Rem700. But I prefer that for a 308.
    So, I have a custom M24 clone built for a SF Sniper [whatever that's worth ;-)], supposedly put together by one of Surgeon's former builders with a Surgeon rail as his "Stamp of authenticity". Weather or not all this is true, it's a cool thing to be able to say about the history of a rifle.

Then I shot it for the first time.
    I tossed a VX-1 3-9 on it I had lying around so I didn't have to take something off one of my other rifles. Looks goofy but I just wanted to get out there and make sure this rifle wasn't someone else's dud.

I shot several loads out of it to see what it would do at 100m. Groups were measured from center to center of the farthest holes.
    Hornady Black 155gr AMAX , two 5 shot groups: .9" & .95"
    Hornady Precision Hunter 178gr ELD-X, one 3 shot group: .75"
    Federal Gold Metal Match 168gr Sierra Matchking, three 5 shot groups & one 3 shot group: .55", .6", .45", & .65"
    All off a Harris bipod.

I was amazed!
    I can wait to put some proper glass on it and stretch it's legs a bit.
    I admittedly took a gamble, and I think I won.

Cheers
    M24 and T3.jpgm241.jpgm242.jpgm243.jpgm244.jpg

Last edited:
    Took it out again this morning and printed nothing but 1/2MOA groups [granted only 3&4 shot groups today]. Tossing a SWFA on it as soon as my ARC M10 rings come in. I still can't believe how this thing shoots.

Good to hear it shoots and it sounds like you are happy with it. That's all that matters at the end of the day!