• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Importance of amount of torque

varmint slayer

Area 419 OG
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2010
NE, WY
So I have a 30P-1 for a while now and have put about 1500 rounds from a variety of guns through it. It seems like when I first got it I could switch between hosts and have repeatable POI on each host. As of late that doesn't seem to be the case as just about every time I remove it and put it back on, the POI changes and in no repeatable fashion really. Even when I just remove it from one gun after shooting and then but it back on the next day, sometimes the POI will be different. When I say different we are talking like 1 MOA vertical up or down and now i have started to see a shift left or right sometimes.

So really the only thing I can maybe come up with is that maybe I am not consistent in how tight I am screwing it on each time. I may be way off here but that is all i can come up with. Is this something that anybody else has seen? Is the torque that important?

Any advice is welcome as I really hate having to check my zero every time I remove and attach the can. Thanks.

Re: Importance of amount of torque

That's not normal. The only times we've seen difference in "hand tight" torque making a difference is when the barrel shoulder isn't actually square to the threads.

Off the top of my head, you might check if there is carbon buildup on the internal threads where the muzzle ends. If this distance is different on the different rifles, it might not actually be bottoming out on the shoulder, but instead on thread fouling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Off the top of my head, you might check if there is carbon buildup on the internal threads where the muzzle ends. If this distance is different on the different rifles, it might not actually be bottoming out on the shoulder, but instead on thread fouling.</div></div>

I have noticed that the thread lengths are a little different between the rifles that I have used it on and noticed the fouling effecting the can from bottoming out on the shoulder between rifles and have been cleaning the threads before screwing it on.

Tonight when I screed it on my .243 that I unscrewed it from last night, it appears to have held the same POI which sometimes happens but other times it will be off a little which is what is confusing me.

Unusual. Where in WY are you? Sounds like we need to shoot and get to the bottom of this.

I'm up in Gillette Ray. It would be great to meet up and shoot but I wonder if I shouldn't have the threading/shoulder checked out like Zak suggested. It was threaded by a very reputable smith and done on a CNC so i wouldnt thinks the threads/shoulder would be an issue but i am not above ruling it out. I also want to run a few controlled tests with shooting, removing, shooting removing and log the results and make sure I am really having an issue. I make it down to Cheyenne area (Chugwater) about once a month for work so it's possible that I could swing by the shop if I end up being able to continue to reproduce the POI shifts.

I really appreciate you and Zak's quick response and the strong backing of your product. I'll let you guys know what I come up with hopefully in the next week or so.

Sounds good Zak. I will let you know what I come up with. Again I appreciate you and Ray's input.

I'm a small business owner and THIS right here is what you call SERVICE.

I'm looking forward to owning my 338P-1, which is now in purgatory; for at least another month.